So I have a long list of firms to mail...now what Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

So I have a long list of firms to mail...now what

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm

I've compiled some firms to mass-mail and have a cover letter prepared. How much tailoring is necessary for each cover letter?

Do people just literally cut and paste firm name and recruiting contact and send it off? Or is it more customized than that? If the latter, this is gonna be phenomenally time-consuming.

Edit: I am going to tailor the intro for each market (I'm hitting 4 markets), but that won't be too difficult.

Anonymous User

Re: So I have a long list of firms to mail...now what

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Depending on how big your list is, you probably don't need to do too much tailoring. Firms care a lot more about the resume and transcript anyway; cover letter is more of a formality. Just make sure what you says is applicable to every firm - don't say "I'm very interested in corporate work" when the firm only does lit. And make sure there aren't any errors.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 pm

More tailoring is better than less, but little to none is "required."

As an example: Quinn has a very unique culture. I don't doubt that candidates who mail them and mention their attraction to that culture and/or litigation focus stand somewhat better odds than a letter that's obviously targeted towards any large law firm with a lit department in that location.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 pm

I wrote a generic lit-focused cover letter. Set-up a mail merge with the standard addressing/firm name fields. I made two custom fields: <practice area> and <why firm>. <why firm> was something relatively unique about the firm or something they were trying to sell themselves on. So, I have a paragraph that is: I want to do litigation. Your firm has <practice area>. Further, <why firm>.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”