Dat dere 2 summer OCI Firm Bid?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dat dere 2 summer OCI Firm Bid??

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Top ten at TTT in secondary market with less than 30 firms attending OCI, limited bids, all pre-select by the firms. NALP data on one of the higher up firms says they took 2 summers in 2012 and are planning 2 summers again in 2013. Considering that I'm at TTT and that the firm also participates in 3-4 higher ranked OCI's, is it even worth throwing them a bid? I could use that bid to bid another firm that is likely also hiring no more than 1-3 summers but may only be doing 1-2 other local OCI's.

This NALP data is very scary, I wish I would have bucked the free schooling for a much better ranked school, dey took my jerbs...

Anonymous User

Re: Dat dere 2 summer OCI Firm Bid??

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Mass mail. You are at a TTT. Relying on OCI for anything is stupid.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mass mail. You are at a TTT. Relying on OCI for anything is stupid.
This.

How many bids do you get if there are less than thirty firms and you can't bid all of them? We had something like 50 bids.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mass mail. You are at a TTT. Relying on OCI for anything is stupid.
Not relying on OCI for anything, obviously not many are getting a jerb from OCI. That said, my question was specific to whether or not I should bid a firm at OCI, not if I should go OCI or bust.

We get to bid about half the firms, obviously I am bidding the top firms that are hiring more than 4 summers, but some of the lower end firms are TTT with salaries a third of that of the top firms. My question, do I bid a higher salary firm with 2 summers or bid a lower salary firm with 1 summer, but a better chance of actually getting a jerb with lower salary firm.

jess

Post by jess » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not relying on OCI for anything, obviously not many are getting a jerb from OCI. That said, my question was specific to whether or not I should bid a firm at OCI, not if I should go OCI or bust.

We get to bid about half the firms, obviously I am bidding the top firms that are hiring more than 4 summers, but some of the lower end firms are TTT with salaries a third of that of the top firms. My question, do I bid a higher salary firm with 2 summers or bid a lower salary firm with 1 summer, but a better chance of actually getting a jerb with lower salary firm.
My personal rule of thumb is higher chance of a job with lower pay > lower chance of a job with higher pay. As long as you can afford to pay off your loans on that salary. If you're talking 200k debt on a 50k salary, then yeah, you're in bad shape. If you're 100k in debt and have a high chance of a job that pays 85k vs a lower chance at a firm that pays 160, then I'd go for the lower paying job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Bid on the firms that have consistently hired SAs from your school. Summer class of 3 with 2 SAs from your school > Summer class of 15 with 1 SA from your school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”