How successful is mass-mailing supposed to be?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
traehekat

Re: How successful is mass-mailing supposed to be?

Postby traehekat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:24 pm

Just to drive the point home further, you absolutely need to be mass mailing every single NALP firm in NYC (and then some). 25 is a good start, but you should really be striving to send out as many as you can every day. Don't turn on Netflix, don't pop in Call of Duty, don't golf 18 holes, etc. until you have finished mailing.

Anonymous User wrote:Preparing to mass mail this weekend. I do not fully understand the mechanics though.
Do I mail to the recruiting department or do I mail to the hiring partner if not the same?
Do I e-mail instead of mail, and if so again, is it the director of recruiting bla bla, or do I look for someone known as a hiring partner? (I would prefer to e-mail).
If, the firm is coming to my school OCI, but I did not get an interview... do I email the person who is visiting my school, or do I email the recruiting contact on their website?
Finally, for firms that have application forms, do I complete them, or do I just mail/email hiring dude?

Thanks

I typically emailed whoever was listed as the recruiting contact rather than the hiring partner, although I have heard of people going other routes (particularly if you are mailing from a lower ranked school and you want to get in contact with an alum at a firm or something). If they are coming to your school for OCI then either go to their hospitality suite if they have one or just pop in the interviewing room when there appears to be a break and drop off your resume. If there is an application form online then fill it out (they usually require you to attach resume, cover letter, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Below median at lower T14. Success rate was about 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 as a 2L and 1 in 400 as a 3L. CSO said that's typical. I suspect tailoring my emails more narrowly might have increased the rate by 25-50%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Slightly below median grades at WOOSTL. I sent out somewhere between 400-500 mass mails (I don't remember of the top of my head)

I got 3 interviews out of it, all in my hometown, zero offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:52 pm

Top quarter at lower t14, sent out 30 mass mails so far, 1 reject, all silences.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top quarter at lower t14, sent out 30 mass mails so far, 1 reject, all silences.

Keep going. 30 shouldn't take more than 2 days.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Slightly below median grades at WOOSTL. I sent out somewhere between 400-500 mass mails (I don't remember of the top of my head)

I got 3 interviews out of it, all in my hometown, zero offers.

Sorry to hear that man. What was the rational behind the cold reception in your hometown?

Return to “Legal Employment”