The OFFICIAL Fordham 2014 OCI Season Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RowJimmy

New

The OFFICIAL Fordham 2014 OCI Season

Post by RowJimmy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:38 pm

OCI Bids are coming out any day now.

Feel free to post questions, concerns, fears, callbacks, offers, deepest darkest secrets, whatever!

Let's get this party started!

Anonymous User

Re: The OFFICIAL Fordham 2014 OCI Season

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:00 pm

bids come out the 10th i think

RowJimmy

New

Post by RowJimmy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:32 pm

No reason to be anonymous! Make yourself at home here!

lala1613

New

Post by lala1613 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:57 pm

checking in! does anyone know if bids actually come out the 10th or do they ever come earlier?

Huluba

New

Post by Huluba » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm

I think last year they came out a day earlier than cpc said they would.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Huzaaaa!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Thoughts on how much hiring will improve/has improved compared to OCI in 2009, when it was about 20% for nlj 250 firms. What percent of the class do you think will get big law offers during EIW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on how much hiring will improve/has improved compared to OCI in 2009, when it was about 20% for nlj 250 firms. What percent of the class do you think will get big law offers during EIW
It's definitely better than in 2009, but no one knows for sure how much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on how much hiring will improve/has improved compared to OCI in 2009, when it was about 20% for nlj 250 firms. What percent of the class do you think will get big law offers during EIW
20% sounds about right for Fordham 2011. I don't think 2009 got anywhere near this high.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:46 am

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0631114500

19.6% nlj 250 for class of 2011, which did oci in 2009

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0631114500

19.6% nlj 250 for class of 2011, which did oci in 2009
Doesn't mean OCI was at 19.6%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:15 pm

The small amount of people who got nlj 250 after EIW would probably be offset by the people who were no offered and wouldn't count in the 19.6 statistic. So 20% is prob about right for EIW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The small amount of people who got nlj 250 after EIW would probably be offset by the people who were no offered and wouldn't count in the 19.6 statistic. So 20% is prob about right for EIW
You clearly have not been through OCI. I'd venture a guess that at least 5-7% of the class gets their jobs outside of EIW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The small amount of people who got nlj 250 after EIW would probably be offset by the people who were no offered and wouldn't count in the 19.6 statistic. So 20% is prob about right for EIW
You clearly have not been through OCI. I'd venture a guess that at least 5-7% of the class gets their jobs outside of EIW.
can we not contaminate this thread with all this BS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
can we not contaminate this thread with all this BS?
The takeaway is go in realistic kids. Know what is required to get what you want and hustle yer buns off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 pm

people who went through this at fordham before, any general words of wisdom/advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Bump

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:people who went through this at fordham before, any general words of wisdom/advice?
Fordham 3L here. Had 29 first rounders, 20 callbacks, ended up going on 10, 8 offers, and now work at what people here refer to as a V10 (though no one refers to Vault rankings in the real world).

Feel free to PM me with messages. Happy to answer questions/help out any I can.

Good luck Fordhamites.

pstmdrnlife

New

Post by pstmdrnlife » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:44 pm

DrGuano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:people who went through this at fordham before, any general words of wisdom/advice?
Fordham 3L here. Had 29 first rounders, 20 callbacks, ended up going on 10, 8 offers, and now work at what people here refer to as a V10 (though no one refers to Vault rankings in the real world).

Feel free to PM me with messages. Happy to answer questions/help out any I can.

Good luck Fordhamites.
I'll bite. Grades? From the looks of it, you must have been tippy top of the class/on LR. How did friends with lower grades/secondaries fare?

Besides grades, what factors do you think played a role in your success/got you so many callbacks?

Any tips on trying to score a screener at the hospitality sweet?

Any firms you felt were pretty pro/anti fordham?

Ever feel (or, have you ever felt) like you're looked down upon because you're from Fordham and not a t6?

To my brethren, anyone else not apply to Seward because they wanted undergrad transcripts (mine are impossible to get without at least a week's notice)? I thought about sending my podunk academic report from LSAC but felt embarrassed.

Also, I totes fucked up bidding. Didn't submit a writing sample to two firms that technically requested it because they didn't explicitly write "please send writing sample." Also, did some last minute "impulse shopping" and bid on firms randomly. GREAT JOB.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:52 pm

I'll bite. Grades? From the looks of it, you must have been tippy top of the class/on LR. How did friends with lower grades/secondaries fare? Out of my 10 actual friends at Fordham, all got Big Law jobs (except one in government) and that ranges from Law Review kids to International Law J.

Besides grades, what factors do you think played a role in your success/got you so many callbacks? Personality is a big plus. I was up there grade wise, but not top 15 people in the class. Still, did a lot better than many in the top 15.

Any tips on trying to score a screener at the hospitality sweet? Didn't do it myself, but know plenty people did it. Just be straightforward. The interviewers have long days and by taking you on, they're either taking time out of their lunch break or staying later for you. Be as gracious and cordial as you can. And don't bother if it's not a realistic option.

Any firms you felt were pretty pro/anti fordham? Davis Polk and Proskauer interviewers on campus shockingly made some pretty anti-Fordham comments in interviews (w/ other people, not me personally, but was discussed in the LR office). Most pro-Fordham firms I'd say are Cahill, Weil (where I am), Kirkland & Ellis, and Chadbourne.

Ever feel (or, have you ever felt) like you're looked down upon because you're from Fordham and not a t6? l personally don't feel that way, but there are definitely Fordham kids that have a chip on their shoulder. For the most part, just seems to more motiviation to outperform others.

To my brethren, anyone else not apply to Seward because they wanted undergrad transcripts (mine are impossible to get without at least a week's notice)? I thought about sending my podunk academic report from LSAC but felt embarrassed.

Also, I totes fucked up bidding. Didn't submit a writing sample to two firms that technically requested it because they didn't explicitly write "please send writing sample." Also, did some last minute "impulse shopping" and bid on firms randomly. GREAT JOB.[/quote]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 pm

DrGuano and Anon:

1. What did you do to prepare for screeners?
2. What did you do to prepare for callbacks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DrGuano and Anon:

1. What did you do to prepare for screeners?
2. What did you do to prepare for callbacks?
Anon from above

I prepped pretty extensively for my screeners, so I did not do much different for my callbacks. I read through basically every single resource I had ever heard of - Vault, Chambers Associate, Chambers and Partners, some of the TLS profiles, xo threads - to try to get as complete a picture as possible of the strengths and cultures of each firm. I think the Vault "survey says" and Chambers Associate are invaluable for this (although to be fair, they do vary from year to year from what I can tell - the comments about my firm this year are kind of weird and I found the 2011 ones to be very positive/helpful and much more in line with my impressions from this summer). I took notes as I went through all this stuff, noting certain buzzwords about the firm that came up, and interesting initiatives/programs they might have, and then copying and pasting the practice area summaries from the office's Chambers and Partners profile. If I knew my interviewers already, I took basic notes on them too (usually just undergrad/law school and practice area, but also if they had something else that seemed worth nothing). This sounds like a lot, but this really only took up about a page, and was really helpful to read over right before going into an interview (especially if you have several back to back you will be so fried, you need something that will quickly focus you on this one firm and get your head in the game).

For screeners, I did not find knowing all of this stuff cold to be necessary. Really, I think the most important thing for screeners is to know your resume inside and out, and be prepared with intelligent/engaging responses about what you did this summer, what your favorite 1L class was, why law school, why this firm, etc. You will just be regurgitating these things over and over again. I didn't get the impression that anyone at a screener expected me to know tons about the firm - just have a solid sense of what kind of work they do so you don't say something totally boneheaded, and be somewhat knowledgeable about anything they do that might be unique so you can ask about it (for example, Milbank@Harvard). One thing that was actually extremely helpful for me in prepping for screeners was reading any/all TLS threads on OCI interviews - it really focused me on the exact questions I would be asked, what things should/should not be mentioned or had potential to rub an interviewer the wrong way, what good responses might be, etc. My first screener was still an awkward shitshow, but once I got that one out of my system and saw that the questions/format were exactly what I expected, I felt extremely confident and well-prepared, and kind of breezed through the rest.

For callbacks, I focused more on specifics about the firm from my earlier research, and just reading through the surveys again to pin down what sort of intangibles the firm values and how people describe working there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Does no journal = /self ?

lala1613

New

Post by lala1613 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:00 pm

FYI after a little searching i think eiw schedule came out on the wed before they were due to come out 2 years ago and the tuesday before last year so might be earlier next week than friday...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”