The OFFICIAL Fordham 2014 OCI Season Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The OFFICIAL Fordham 2014 OCI Season

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so no one has any idea how many picks people usually get via lottery?
I got 1 interview and I am above median, but below top 33%. I only bid for firms with a lot of interview slots in my top 15, and I did include a few reaches in there. I thought I bid well and had a few people look at my bid list and agree, but clearly it didn't work out.
what was your top 10? You're anon so it's cool.
Seward & Kissel
Herrick Feinstein
Stroock
Nixon Peabody
Kaye Scholer
clifford chance
Chadbourne
Sheppard Mullin
Cole Schotz
Riker Danzig

I bid a lot according to the OCI tracker, because it seemed silly to bid firms high that never even give callbacks to lottery interviewees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so no one has any idea how many picks people usually get via lottery?
I got 1 interview and I am above median, but below top 33%. I only bid for firms with a lot of interview slots in my top 15, and I did include a few reaches in there. I thought I bid well and had a few people look at my bid list and agree, but clearly it didn't work out.
what was your top 10? You're anon so it's cool.
Seward & Kissel
Herrick Feinstein
Stroock
Nixon Peabody
Kaye Scholer
Clifford Chance
Chadbourne
Sheppard Mullin
Cole Schotz
Riker Danzig

I bid a lot according to the OCI tracker, because it seemed silly to bid firms high that never even give callbacks to lottery interviewees.
Weird ... Did you get Chadbourne? I put them lower and got it, presumably through lottery. A lot of those were probably just high ranked by everyone sub-median so in a sense they were the hardest firms to get by lottery (also, I'm certain everyone went by the offer tracker, so the ones that did lots of lottery callbacks were probably really difficult to get by lottery). Or maybe there's more to the lottery and it takes more into account than just pref #.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Weird ... Did you get Chadbourne? I put them lower and got it, presumably through lottery. A lot of those were probably just high ranked by everyone sub-median so in a sense they were the hardest firms to get by lottery (also, I'm certain everyone went by the offer tracker, so the ones that did lots of lottery callbacks were probably really difficult to get by lottery). Or maybe there's more to the lottery and it takes more into account than just pref #.
Nope, no Chadbourne. I actually know quite a few people who didn't even use the OCI tracker, but I imagine most did. I just mean to say it seemed better to still go by it and hope for the odds to be with me, even if many were bidding on those firms, than get interviews that almost certainly wouldn't lead anywhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm

My mind is blown at the stats people are reporting in here.

Especially the contrast between the person with 1 interview (b/w median and 1/3 WITH secondary) and the person with 10 interviews (b/w median and 1/3 WITHOUT secondary).

The guy with 10, can you post your top 10 also?

This is definitely a shitshow. There is no way people are getting 5+ interviews strictly through lottery, or is there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My mind is blown at the stats people are reporting in here.

Especially the contrast between the person with 1 interview (b/w median and 1/3 WITH secondary) and the person with 10 interviews (b/w median and 1/3 WITHOUT secondary).

This is definitely a shitshow. There is no way people are getting 5+ interviews strictly through lottery, or is there?
Perhaps those with more interviews smartly chose mainly the employers with 40, 50, 60+ slots for interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My mind is blown at the stats people are reporting in here.

Perhaps those with more interviews smartly chose only the employers with 40, 50, 60+ slots for interviews?
That's reasonable, but the person with 1 interview got shut out from the top 10 that provided him the best chance at an offer. So what exactly was he supposed to bid on?

The firms he had no chance with, so he can more easily secure an interview spot through the lottery (since a legion of others is not placing them so high up)?

Then that person would just be going through the motions in a screener where his gpa is below the firm's cutoff and the person has no chance anyway (regardless if he/she is awesome). On top of that, the icing is that they'd be taking away a slot from a person who actually had a shot with the firm.

Interesting observations, that's all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Perhaps those with more interviews smartly chose only the employers with 40, 50, 60+ slots for interviews?
That's reasonable, but the person with 1 interview got shut out from the top 10 that provided him the best chance at an offer. So what exactly was he supposed to bid on?

The firms he had no chance with, so he can more easily secure an interview spot through the lottery (since a legion of others is not placing them so high up)?

Then that person would just be going through the motions in a screener where his gpa is below the firm's cutoff and the person has no chance anyway (regardless if he/she is awesome). On top of that, the icing is that they'd be taking away a slot from a person who actually had a shot with the firm.

Interesting observations, that's all.
I am the person with 1 interview. The above was exactly my strategy. I can see how choosing employers with 40+ slots in the top 10 makes sense as well, but I wanted to maximize my chances for callbacks/offers, not screeners.

I'd be interested to see the top 10 of the person in my grade range, with no journal, who has 10 interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:46 pm

top 15%, secondary, 18 interviews (2 out of my top 10)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 pm

conclusion: everyone's top 5 included: kaye, mayor, clifford, stroock

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:top 15%, secondary, 18 interviews (2 out of my top 10)
what was ur strategy. Im in ur position and got only 10. I got 1-4 but nothing from 5-14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:top 15%, secondary, 18 interviews (2 out of my top 10)
what was ur strategy. Im in ur position and got only 10. I got 1-4 but nothing from 5-14.
not really sure. i got #1 and #7 and nothing else until 12 and got a lot of my #12-35. didnt bid on any 1s and did all 2s and 2+ but nothing so unique... also a lot of my top 5 were the ones ppl have been referencing (mayer, clifford, kaye, strook.... guess they were very popular firms!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 pm

There should really be a lottery swap ... I got all the top international firms with the exception of linklaters through lottery, but now I kinda regret it since I'm an unolingual white boy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Just to add to the madness. A friend of mine got 9 out of his top 10 bids. All lottery??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to add to the madness. A friend of mine got 9 out of his top 10 bids. All lottery??
depends on grades/LR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just to add to the madness. A friend of mine got 9 out of his top 10 bids. All lottery??
depends on grades/LR
Top 15% secondary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:20 am

Any 3Ls get Cravath or Latham? If so, what were your stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Does anyone understand how the lottery system works? Is it pure luck or is it affected by how many pre selects you got ect?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tedalbany

Gold

Post by tedalbany » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone understand how the lottery system works? Is it pure luck or is it affected by how many pre selects you got ect?
I imagine it's something like this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm

It's just based on how many people put the firm higher than you did and how many interview slots the firm is filling through the lottery. Obviously, many more people will get spots through the lottery at O'Melveny than they will at one of the 21 interview slot firms.

If you and 40 other people ranked Allen & Overy first, then it is pure luck who will get one of the eight or so spots that they fill through the lottery. None of this is affected by the number of preselects you get; it's based on where you ranked the firm relative to where other students ranked it.

Also, FYI, I've been told that after APPROXIMATELY the first five bids, the lottery is relatively useless. Obviously, this will vary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:10 interviews here.

Between median and top 1/3... no journal or moot court.

I'm not complaining about the number of interviews I got but what gets me is that all of the 10 interviews were from my top 13 bids. (No interviews from the remaining bids.)

I don't know how the lottery system works but is there a possibility that most (if not all) of these interviews came from the lotto?

I'm worried because I see that classmates with better grades with journal/moot court experience got similar or less number of interviews.... and all of the firms that I used my top bids were definitely a reach for me.

Anyway, good luck to us all!
If its all or mostly from the lottery system then that is REALLY unfair. I don't think most of us got that many lottery picks.
wow that's fucked up. I'm the anon who is .02 away from top 25% and I got 5 EIW + 1 RA interview, no journal, no MC. My bidding strategy was on point, too. i spent a lot of time on it and had a lot of people look it over and help me out.

The lottery was so unfair!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Well if any of us bid on Andrews Kurth and Porzio we take priority on Opt-Ins, which is nice. I only bid on Andrews not Porzio so whoever bid on both will get even more priority.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 pm

and yes, can the person between median and top 33% with 10 interviews and no journal or moot court please post his/her top 10? you're anonymous so you're not getting outed. i'm curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:and yes, can the person between median and top 33% with 10 interviews and no journal or moot court please post his/her top 10? you're anonymous so you're not getting outed. i'm curious.
This. Please.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm

He probably just put the firms doing 63+ interviews in the top 10 (cadwalader, white & case, etc). Not a bad strategy if you're a really good interviewer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:He probably just put the firms doing 63+ interviews in the top 10 (cadwalader, white & case, etc). Not a bad strategy if you're a really good interviewer
Nah because I (somewhat) did this and I ended up with 5 (same anon with the .02 under top 25%). Dechert was 1, White & Case was 5, Cadwalader was 9 and I got interviews with them and then with 13 and 25.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”