firm culture

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Jebediah

firm culture

Postby Jebediah » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 am

I have some questions about biglaw firms' cultures.

(1) How much should I buy into the statements about firm culture that I hear on TLS, ATL, Vault, etc.? Does information about culture really matter? Are most of these firms so big that one's experience depends much more on the specific few people one works with (or chooses to associate with) rather than the broader conceptions of culture?

(2) Assuming it is relevant to look into firm culture, where can I find the most accurate information about it? As I said, I've already read some stuff on TLS, ATL, and Vault, but specific threads/posts that I may not have seen on TLS or ATL would be much appreciated if relevant, and other sources would be great as well.

(3) Does firm culture generally pervade all offices of a particular firm? e.g., if a West Coast firm is frequently described as having a relaxed environment, does that usually apply to their New York office as well?

Many thanks.

formerbiglawpartner

Re: firm culture

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:36 am

Based on my personal experience, all firms have their own culture and sections within firms have their own "personalities." You really can't tell too much from the initial interview, but you honestly get a feel for the nature of the firm when you do callback interviews with 5-7 or more attorneys. I'm not at all sure how reliable info on TLS is about firm culture. Your best bet would be to speak with any attorneys you might know at the respective firms, e.g., recent grads from your law school. It is also perfectly acceptable to ask in interviews about how they would describe their firm's culture and the unique culture of their particular section. Especially younger associates should give you honest answers. (Don't come right out and ask if they are working soul-crushing hours, of course!)
Last edited by formerbiglawpartner on Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

anon168

Re: firm culture

Postby anon168 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am

Jebediah wrote:I have some questions about biglaw firms' cultures.

(1) How much should I buy into the statements about firm culture that I hear on TLS, ATL, Vault, etc.? Does information about culture really matter? Are most of these firms so big that one's experience depends much more on the specific few people one works with (or chooses to associate with) rather than the broader conceptions of culture?

(2) Assuming it is relevant to look into firm culture, where can I find the most accurate information about it? As I said, I've already read some stuff on TLS, ATL, and Vault, but specific threads/posts that I may not have seen on TLS or ATL would be much appreciated if relevant, and other sources would be great as well.

(3) Does firm culture generally pervade all offices of a particular firm? e.g., if a West Coast firm is frequently described as having a relaxed environment, does that usually apply to their New York office as well?

Many thanks.

Firm culture generally is driven more by location (DC v. LA, or NY v. SF, as examples) more than anything else. There are exceptions of course.

Return to “Legal Employment”