OCI pre-select for IP Lit position without tech background

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI pre-select for IP Lit position without tech background

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 pm

I inadvertently bid on a firm looking for IP Lit candidates with a technical background. I do not have a tech background. Not even remotely. For some reason, I got selected for an interview. Are they fucking with me? Was this an oversight on their part? I should note that the firm is not solely an IP practice, and the office has plenty of attorneys practicing other things. Is it possible they might be interviewing me for a non-IP position (contrary to what the symplicity listing said)?

bk1

Re: OCI pre-select for IP Lit position without tech background

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 pm

I assume by IP you mean patent specifically. Not all firms require a tech background for patent lit. You might also be correct that they are looking for more than just patent lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:48 pm

bk1 wrote:I assume by IP you mean patent specifically. Not all firms require a tech background for patent lit. You might also be correct that they are looking for more than just patent lit.

The listing was for patent prosecution and patent lit. Both required a hard science background.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Well patent pros does but patent lit technically does not. If the firm is one that essentially requires their patent lit associates to have tech backgrounds then I think you probably hit on the 2 possibilities in the OP (either they messed up or they are hiring for more than patent lit/pros).

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:54 pm

What firm?

My firm will sometimes place non-IP interviews in their IP slots. This happened to me in the interview process.

If the screening committee/attorneys already think they have sufficient IP people to interview and they want to increase their number of non-IP interviews for non-IP SA positions, they'll do exactly the above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:I assume by IP you mean patent specifically. Not all firms require a tech background for patent lit. You might also be correct that they are looking for more than just patent lit.

The listing was for patent prosecution and patent lit. Both required a hard science background.

Nice try.

Only patent prosecution requires hard science.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nice try.

(OP here)

Lol... I'm just relaying what the symplicity posting said...

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:45 pm

TLS seems to under-emphasize the need for a tech background in IP lit jobs. I didn't have a tech background and I got slaughtered compared to guys with my exact same GPA, even though we all expressed the same kind of interest in IP lit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:48 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:TLS seems to under-emphasize the need for a tech background in IP lit jobs. I didn't have a tech background and I got slaughtered compared to guys with my exact same GPA, even though we all expressed the same kind of interest in IP lit.

(OP)

From what I've seen, any IP Lit position states that a tech background is either required or strongly preferred.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nice try.

Why is that anonymous?

And IP-heavy firms may just require a tech background for everyone.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am

Only patent pros requires a tech background to be able to do it at all, but firms may nonetheless require or highly prefer their patent lit guys to have tech background regardless. Two different things, and not really sure why people are (or rather, perhaps just one person) splitting hairs over that.

But yeah, could be that they're interviewing you regardless, could be that they assumed you read their posting and selected you without reading your resume in detail, etc. Anything's kind of possible. I know one firm that typically prefers/requires tech background that has hired SAs without it.

Return to “Legal Employment”