Coold Email

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Coold Email

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:50 pm

So, I just found out my preselects for a job fair. At one of the firms there is someone who went to my undergrad and law school. Is it awkward or uncouth to email that person to ask about the firm? Should I mention I have a screening interview soon?

badaboom61

Re: Coold Email

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Just make sure you don't have any typos if you coold email

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 pm

I would use this sort of thing as more of a segue into getting an interview. Since you have a preselect already I think it's a bit awkward to do this without much upside to doing it. However, if you end up at the callback stage you could request (if they allow it) that this person be one of the people you interview with on the callback.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:49 pm

You should absolutely reach out to them. Just a short email explaining your connection, that you have an interview, and that you'd like to chat on the phone to discuss the firm.

Speaking to someone there can help you pick up on the details the firm likes to think about itself, which you can then parrot back in your interview and sound really good.

I have done this.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 am

bk1 wrote:I would use this sort of thing as more of a segue into getting an interview. Since you have a preselect already I think it's a bit awkward to do this without much upside to doing it. However, if you end up at the callback stage you could request (if they allow it) that this person be one of the people you interview with on the callback.

I don't know about that. Alums generally like to help out people from their law school (not always, but often), so if you contact them once you have an interview they may try and help you out in some way--answering questions about the firm, at the very least. If they like you enough and they happen to know the guy coming to interview at OCI they may put in a good word for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:50 am

The double "oo" was on purpose, but thank you for the reminder about typos?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

lolwat wrote:
bk1 wrote:I would use this sort of thing as more of a segue into getting an interview. Since you have a preselect already I think it's a bit awkward to do this without much upside to doing it. However, if you end up at the callback stage you could request (if they allow it) that this person be one of the people you interview with on the callback.

I don't know about that. Alums generally like to help out people from their law school (not always, but often), so if you contact them once you have an interview they may try and help you out in some way--answering questions about the firm, at the very least. If they like you enough and they happen to know the guy coming to interview at OCI they may put in a good word for you.

That's fair. After posting I thought about it a bit and think that it could be beneficial.

Return to “Legal Employment”