UChicago OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who else is sitting on no offers? :(


I don't have any offers. Still waiting on decision from one OCI callback; if that's a ding, I struck out. I still have some more opportunities from mass mailing, so hopefully one of those will turn in to something.


...aaaaaaaaand I officially struck out. That whole mess was bullshit. Good luck everyone still holding on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who else is sitting on no offers? :(


I don't have any offers. Still waiting on decision from one OCI callback; if that's a ding, I struck out. I still have some more opportunities from mass mailing, so hopefully one of those will turn in to something.


...aaaaaaaaand I officially struck out. That whole mess was bullshit. Good luck everyone still holding on.


Sorry man, really hope something from your mass mailing pans out. I just cancelled a callback that I had scheduled for next week, and I am sure many more classmates will be doing the same. The last poster said (s)he got a callback yesterday, so if you have not received a ding from a firm, there is always a chance you will get an ever-elusive rolling callback.

Any interest in sharing numbers / what may have gone wrong for next generation?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 am

I've also struck out with no CBs. I suppose it's not official, official - still waiting to hear back from a screener I had the first day. :lol: Besides that one, received rejections from the rest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 am

Faegre Baker Daniels email ding (from OCI)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who else is sitting on no offers? :(


I don't have any offers. Still waiting on decision from one OCI callback; if that's a ding, I struck out. I still have some more opportunities from mass mailing, so hopefully one of those will turn in to something.


...aaaaaaaaand I officially struck out. That whole mess was bullshit. Good luck everyone still holding on.


Sorry man, really hope something from your mass mailing pans out. I just cancelled a callback that I had scheduled for next week, and I am sure many more classmates will be doing the same. The last poster said (s)he got a callback yesterday, so if you have not received a ding from a firm, there is always a chance you will get an ever-elusive rolling callback.

Any interest in sharing numbers / what may have gone wrong for next generation?


K-JD. Not a matter of grades, although I'm not LR or anything. Doing mock interviews left and right and can't seem to figure out what's going wrong; I'm guessing I just interview fail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Faegre Baker Daniels email ding (from OCI)


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K-JD. Not a matter of grades, although I'm not LR or anything. Doing mock interviews left and right and can't seem to figure out what's going wrong; I'm guessing I just interview fail.


So sorry to hear that :(
How many CBs did you get?
Talked to some people with offers already and seems like they canceled their remaining CBs so you might still be in the running

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K-JD. Not a matter of grades, although I'm not LR or anything. Doing mock interviews left and right and can't seem to figure out what's going wrong; I'm guessing I just interview fail.


Same boat as you from NU. Also decent grades and nothing wrong showing in my mock interviews. Mass mail like crazy, if not a matter of grades + uchicago on resume, you should get a few bites even at this point in the game.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K-JD. Not a matter of grades, although I'm not LR or anything. Doing mock interviews left and right and can't seem to figure out what's going wrong; I'm guessing I just interview fail.


So sorry to hear that :(
How many CBs did you get?
Talked to some people with offers already and seems like they canceled their remaining CBs so you might still be in the running


>25 screeners, 2 CBs, both dings. Already mass mailed like crazy; still have a few CBs left from that so really hoping those work out.

anewaphorist
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:13 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby anewaphorist » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:53 pm

How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:17 pm

anewaphorist wrote:How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

I'm quoting this for posterity because it's pretty unbelievable a 0L planning to attend this school would say something like this.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 pm

...

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Haymarket » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:34 pm

anewaphorist wrote:How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

What an excellent way to set out your reputation among your classmates as an unbelievable douche. I want to also keep this quoted for proof in case I ever think about helping you in any way. You've made an ass of yourself, your class, and our school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:05 am

Haymarket wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

What an excellent way to set out your reputation among your classmates as an unbelievable douche. I want to also keep this quoted for proof in case I ever think about helping you in any way. You've made an ass of yourself, your class, and our school.


speaking for the current 1l class, he's not one of us. we don't have anyone this socially unacceptable.

V sorry, i just wanted to see what oci was like
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Haymarket » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
anewaphorist wrote:How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

What an excellent way to set out your reputation among your classmates as an unbelievable douche. I want to also keep this quoted for proof in case I ever think about helping you in any way. You've made an ass of yourself, your class, and our school.


speaking for the current 1l class, he's not one of us. we don't have anyone this socially unacceptable.

Wut? I'm afraid you do (also get out of the employment forum). A fine way for him to start out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Faegre Baker Chi ding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:25 pm

It's 2-for-1 day, apparently. Winston snail mail ding (OCI). That took forever.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've also struck out with no CBs. I suppose it's not official, official - still waiting to hear back from a screener I had the first day. :lol: Besides that one, received rejections from the rest.


What market? Assuming decent grades (ie, not bottom of the class) and average interview skillz, I would be surprised by a UChi student receiving zero CBs unless s/he was focusing only on DC, Chicago, or SF. But it is far from over at this point. If you still want a firm job, mass mail like crazy in NYC and anywhere else you have ties, and, in the mean time, try to improve your interviewing skills. Good luck!

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:51 pm

anewaphorist wrote:How do you get 25 screeners and only 2 CBs? Do you look like Shrek or converse like Mike [deleted]?

User has been outed and warned. Choose your words carefully when using anon because anything approaching an insult is not okay.

You might be in for a rude awakening at OCI next year. The market is still not that strong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've also struck out with no CBs. I suppose it's not official, official - still waiting to hear back from a screener I had the first day. :lol: Besides that one, received rejections from the rest.


What market? Assuming decent grades (ie, not bottom of the class) and average interview skillz, I would be surprised by a UChi student receiving zero CBs unless s/he was focusing only on DC, Chicago, or SF. But it is far from over at this point. If you still want a firm job, mass mail like crazy in NYC and anywhere else you have ties, and, in the mean time, try to improve your interviewing skills. Good luck!


I focused on Chicago and my home market which was shit to begin with. My grades are near the bottom of the class. I guess I should mass mail NYC or something, I don't know. My interviews seemed to go well but there's a capacity for self-delusion here. I think there was a combination of factors including crappy markets I applied to, having a resume exclusively featuring jobs in my home-market so it was an uphill battle convincing employers I wanted to be in Chicago (got asked this every time), terrible grades, maybe having too much of a PI/government based resume, and only having about 17 interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:15 pm

I got 4 CBs out of ~15 screeners. Two definite rejections from those and two that are now passed due if the firm was extending an offer in the normal course of things. Median grades, work experience, bid 85% NYC. Not sure how I managed to drop the ball so badly on all of my CBs (I'm not horribly lacking in self awareness and left each firm feeling like things went very well), but it looks like it's time to start mass mailing or whatever. Writing all those thank you notes was bad enough. Not looking forward to this.

EDIT: To be clear, this is my first post in this thread. Just adding my story to the 'struck-out' pile, as it were.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:47 am

~20 screeners, 2 CBs, one hasn't happened yet, one past the time in which they told me to expect a reply (but no definite news yet). *sigh*

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've also struck out with no CBs. I suppose it's not official, official - still waiting to hear back from a screener I had the first day. :lol: Besides that one, received rejections from the rest.


What market? Assuming decent grades (ie, not bottom of the class) and average interview skillz, I would be surprised by a UChi student receiving zero CBs unless s/he was focusing only on DC, Chicago, or SF. But it is far from over at this point. If you still want a firm job, mass mail like crazy in NYC and anywhere else you have ties, and, in the mean time, try to improve your interviewing skills. Good luck!


I focused on Chicago and my home market which was shit to begin with. My grades are near the bottom of the class. I guess I should mass mail NYC or something, I don't know. My interviews seemed to go well but there's a capacity for self-delusion here. I think there was a combination of factors including crappy markets I applied to, having a resume exclusively featuring jobs in my home-market so it was an uphill battle convincing employers I wanted to be in Chicago (got asked this every time), terrible grades, maybe having too much of a PI/government based resume, and only having about 17 interviews.

^ Above poster. Aannnnnnnnnnnnnnd I officially struck out! That last rejection took over a month :lol: Twas an honor to serve with you, ladies and gentlemen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Quarles and Brady OCI email ding

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Still waiting on that Steptoe ding. :lol:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.