UChicago OCI 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UChicago OCI 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What advice has OCS had for you? I am interested in seeing what words of wisdom they impart on those of us unfortunate enough to be in such a precarious position. I assume you have been mass-mailing as well, any luck with that? I wish I had something better than this generic advice, but I want to make sure that you are doing these things and not just waiting for the dings.
Haven't gone to OCS yet...has anybody here done so?
Yeah, I've been mass-mailing and got a few screeners. How's it been going for you?
First day of classes now, so not motivated to do anything
I've been to OCS a couple of times. Their advice was to email the people on that list of firms on Chalk (though not necessarily mass mailing), or consider public interest. And, of course, to keep hoping, because of course if I haven't gotten any CBs, it doesn't mean that some place that interviewed day 1 of OCI but hasn't called me back a month later might not still call! :lol:
It really is amazing how OCS keeps insisting on this. I suppose this might be more true in NYC than smaller markets, but for the most part if you haven't heard from them after about two or maybe three weeks after the screener, it's pretty safe to assume that they put you in the ding pile.

If you want to be sure, email the firm to follow up and let them know you're still interested. They're usually pretty good about expediting the rejection when you do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Above median, journal, just struck out. Oh boy. Here's hoping mass mailing will come through.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Above median, journal, just struck out. Oh boy. Here's hoping mass mailing will come through.
Same stats, struck out, got an offer from post-OCI mass mailing this week. Don't give up hope and keep sending applications; broaden markets and scope of firms, dig deep into Martindale to find less known ones. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting on that Perkins Coie ding
+1 and K&L Gates?
I'm waiting on those two as well as Skadden AND Eimer Stahl. All Chicago offices. What the heck, Ding me already.
Eimer Stahl recruiting committee must be reading TLS bc I just got my Ding in the mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 am

Just FYI, I had posted earlier about things being grim with 2 rejections and two outstanding post-CB decisions and this week I got got offers from both the firms I had been waiting on. I had sent really nice, individualized thank you notes to both firms following the interviews and then called again last week to reemphasize my interest (it'd been about two weeks). For what it's worth, both firms mentioned my nice notes and follow-up calls when they gave me the offer; I got a feeling that I had saved myself from the brink after lackluster interviews. Or I just got lucky. Who knows? Anyway, if you still have an outstanding decision, know that there is some hope. I had pretty much given up.

Adding to that, I have a below median friend who just got an NYC biglaw offer last week after thinking she struck out as well. She also got it a few days after a follow-up call.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just FYI, I had posted earlier about things being grim with 2 rejections and two outstanding post-CB decisions and this week I got got offers from both the firms I had been waiting on. I had sent really nice, individualized thank you notes to both firms following the interviews and then called again last week to reemphasize my interest (it'd been about two weeks). For what it's worth, both firms mentioned my nice notes and follow-up calls when they gave me the offer; I got a feeling that I had saved myself from the brink after lackluster interviews. Or I just got lucky. Who knows? Anyway, if you still have an outstanding decision, know that there is some hope. I had pretty much given up.

Adding to that, I have a below median friend who just got an NYC biglaw offer last week after thinking she struck out as well. She also got it a few days after a follow-up call.
This is highly encouraging; thanks for this! When you say "thank you notes", did you send them to everyone you interviewed with or just the recruiter / hiring partner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just FYI, I had posted earlier about things being grim with 2 rejections and two outstanding post-CB decisions and this week I got got offers from both the firms I had been waiting on. I had sent really nice, individualized thank you notes to both firms following the interviews and then called again last week to reemphasize my interest (it'd been about two weeks). For what it's worth, both firms mentioned my nice notes and follow-up calls when they gave me the offer; I got a feeling that I had saved myself from the brink after lackluster interviews. Or I just got lucky. Who knows? Anyway, if you still have an outstanding decision, know that there is some hope. I had pretty much given up.

This is highly encouraging; thanks for this! When you say "thank you notes", did you send them to everyone you interviewed with or just the recruiter / hiring partner?
I had sent notes via email to all of the people I interviewed with. Mostly started with canned pleasantries but then spent 2-3 short paragraphs on how what the interviewer had said made me more certain I wanted to be at their firm. Interestingly, I only ever got one reply out of the 10 I sent between the two firms, and it was from the one guy with whom I believed my interview had gone the worst. I had spent probably 3-4 hours writing and rewriting his note before sending it--and I'm only guessing here--but I just have this feeling like that note probably changed him from a "didn't like that applicant" to a "didn't like that applicant BUT maybe the interview was just a fluke; let's let him/her sit on the pile."

Also, for what it's worth, for the one firm I wanted the most, I basically took a gamble and misled them about my OCI success when I called to reemphasize my interest. I didn't want to reek of desperation, so I said something along the lines of, "I understand that you must be making some very difficult decisions about staffing your summer class, and I just wanted to reemphasize how much I enjoyed visiting your firm and speaking with everyone. Having finished all my callbacks, I've now narrowed my choices down to your firm and one other offer, but, based on X, Y, and Z reasons, I know for certain that I would accept an offer from your firm's over the other firm's. I have until November 1 to decide on the other firm, so I'm not in a rush to hear back, but please do know that I will be holding out on my final decision until I hear from you." Not my proudest moment, but it seems to have worked.

Also--during that phone call the hiring coordinator said it was very helpful to hear me clearly state my preference and thanked me for the update. The offer call came from one of the lawyers, but that lawyer mentioned that the hiring coordinator had brought up my phone call and my enthusiasm during the firm's next hiring committee meeting (which, perhaps luckily for me, was the day after I had called). So if you've had a long wait with no answer, I think this is pretty good evidence you should be making a call to reemphasize your interest; it does seem to make a difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Median, just struck out. Dang.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median, just struck out. Dang.
That sucks. I'm sure you're still mailing and seeing OCS and such. Even if an SA doesn't work out this summer, there's a real chance of decent unpaid legal 2L summer position --> clerkship (federal or state) --> permanent job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That sucks. I'm sure you're still mailing and seeing OCS and such. Even if an SA doesn't work out this summer, there's a real chance of decent unpaid legal 2L summer position --> clerkship (federal or state) --> permanent job.
Does anyone get SA positions from mailing? Or am I chasing a myth?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It happens. But at this stage it's all luck and hoping the recruiting person reads your email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm a 3L and don't really know about anything this year, but i do know that in years past, a number of people have gotten SA positions from mailing. Again, don't know about most 2Ls' situations, but I would be shocked if nobody got an SA position from mailing this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:54 pm

2L here. I got a major market SA through post-OCI mailing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:41 am

anyone getting any call backs from MWE postings on Symplicity?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:anyone getting any call backs from MWE postings on Symplicity?
Just Northwestern students

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”