Fraternity with leadership position on resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Frat or no frat?

yes
56%
no
44%

Total votes: 52

Anonymous User

Fraternity with leadership position on resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I held a leadership position (vice pres) in a social fraternity during undergrad. Is this something that should stay on my OCI resume? What if I don't have any UG honors listed? Would that make it look like I was a slacker fratboy?

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Re: Fraternity with leadership position on resume?

Post by JetsFan1990 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 pm

DO NOT add this. I wouldn't add anything about my fraternity to my resume. However, I think there are ways to work this into the interview conversation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:15 pm

If I were interviewing you, I would not be impressed. It would probably make me think that you were in charge of hiring strippers for pledge events.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I were interviewing you, I would not be impressed. It would probably make me think that you were in charge of hiring strippers for pledge events.
A laudable responsibility, no doubt; but definitely not appropriate for a resume.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 pm

lol at these posters.

add it unless you have something else to take up the space.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:31 pm

I'd add it for firms like Latham, Skadden, Weil...

kenji

New

Post by kenji » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:55 pm

leadership is leadership. add it. these responses are fuckin lol though.

jesus, tls couldn't get anymore useless.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 pm

PMan99 wrote:lol at these posters.

add it unless you have something else to take up the space.
+1
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Depends on firm culture my little breh

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Add it, everyone telling you not to add it are jealous geeds. Make sure you are able to discuss actual leadership within the fraternity tho. Ie) Helped organize a fraternity workshop to discuss the dangers of Hazing.

And for the love of god do not call your fraternity a "frat" during the interview. It makes you look classless.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:17 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Add it, everyone telling you not to add it are jealous geeds. Make sure you are able to discuss actual leadership within the fraternity tho. Ie) Helped organize a fraternity workshop to discuss the dangers of Hazing.

And for the love of god do not call your fraternity a "frat" during the interview. It makes you look classless.
This.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 pm

(Former) Interviewer.

Tread carefully. Unless your fraternity had some serious public interest focus that you were involved in, putting this on your resume as a highlight would seriously emphasize the light years you were behind other people I interview in terms of skills and life experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 pm

TooOld4This wrote:(Former) Interviewer.

Tread carefully. Unless your fraternity had some serious public interest focus that you were involved in, putting this on your resume as a highlight would seriously emphasize the light years you were behind other people I interview in terms of skills and life experience.
Seriously? Thats ridiculous.

I have it on my resume, and at least twice its worked to my benefit, including at least one helping lead to a cb because the interviewer was in my fraternity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously? Thats ridiculous.

I have it on my resume, and at least twice its worked to my benefit, including at least one helping lead to a cb because the interviewer was in my fraternity.
Agreed. Have it on my resume too, no one has looked at it negatively. Put it on there if it was a leadership position, especially if it was what you spent most of your time on in college.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Itt: haters who didnt bro out and enjoy some of the best years of their lives.

OP: put it and it isn't close.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 pm

Current interviewer. +1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:28 am

Who are you going to find more of in biglaw? Ex-frat boys or people who weren't in frats/didn't go to schools with fraternities?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:57 am

Don't forget to highlight other awards you have acquired as a result of the member in your fraternity, such as the super preftigious keg stand king and elephant line leader.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Who are you going to find more of in biglaw? Ex-frat boys or people who weren't in frats/didn't go to schools with fraternities?
This is dumb.

You're going to find more non-athletes than athletes in biglaw but no one would say leave your DI Varsity Captainship off your resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:20 am

I did not have mine listed and CSO advised me to add it. Who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:40 am

PMan99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Who are you going to find more of in biglaw? Ex-frat boys or people who weren't in frats/didn't go to schools with fraternities?
This is dumb.

You're going to find more non-athletes than athletes in biglaw but no one would say leave your DI Varsity Captainship off your resume.
There's a big difference between D1 varsity athlete and fraternities. No one is going to begrudge a D1 varsity athlete, especially if he or she does well in law school, there are going to be interviewers where being perceived as a fratboy is a negative. Just as there will be interviewers where being perceived as a fratboy will be a positive. Depends on how risk averse you are. Oftentimes you can see who will be conducting the screener interview and can use your judgment accordingly. It's probably not that big of a deal either way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:15 am

In your "Education" section, if you include an "Activities" line, just put "[Name of Fraternity]- Vice President, [any other leadership positions]"

The fact is there are so many social, academic, and professional greek organizations, and a lot school honors associations also have greek letter names that jumping to the conclusion that someone was in some douche bag social fraternity is unlikely. If the interviewer is not familiar with the organization, then they'll likely ask about it, and you can talk about coordinating committees, managing a budget, organizing philanthropy, etc. If they are familiar with your organization, they were likely in greek life themselves (or spent a fair amount of time with members of greek life) and probably don't have that bad of an impression about it.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:In your "Education" section, if you include an "Activities" line, just put "[Name of Fraternity]- Vice President, [any other leadership positions]"

The fact is there are so many social, academic, and professional greek organizations, and a lot school honors associations also have greek letter names that jumping to the conclusion that someone was in some douche bag social fraternity is unlikely. If the interviewer is not familiar with the organization, then they'll likely ask about it, and you can talk about coordinating committees, managing a budget, organizing philanthropy, etc. If they are familiar with your organization, they were likely in greek life themselves (or spent a fair amount of time with members of greek life) and probably don't have that bad of an impression about it.
Seriously, this. Not to mention, if, like me, it's overwhelmingly obvious that you're not a fratty douche, they won't make that mistake just because you have some greek letter organizations on your resume.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 am

There's a big difference between D1 varsity athlete and fraternities. No one is going to begrudge a D1 varsity athlete, especially if he or she does well in law school, there are going to be interviewers where being perceived as a fratboy is a negative. Just as there will be interviewers where being perceived as a fratboy will be a positive. Depends on how risk averse you are. Oftentimes you can see who will be conducting the screener interview and can use your judgment accordingly. It's probably not that big of a deal either way.
I agree with this and the "tread carefully" mention above. It might be an auto-include if you have nothing better, but the way you do it and the way you talk about it if asked will matter a lot. You could always consider having one resume with it and one without and choose which one to send depending on your knowledge of the firm/interviewer/whatever.

It's most likely generally a positive, but I can definitely see it as POSSIBLY being a negative to some interviewers, which is what you want to watch out for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”