fall resume collection

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSNYC

fall resume collection

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 am

If a firm is accepting resumes through symplicity, is it necessary to send along a cover letter too? The descriptions mention "Please address cover letters to X" but doesn't elsewhere specify if they are wanted. On the firm's website, it is says that it wants only resumes from students whose schools they are not interviewing at. Are cover letters assumed or not needed?

JetsFan1990

Re: fall resume collection

Postby JetsFan1990 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 am

If they aren't interviewing at your school, then don't send a cover letter. done.

chitown2626

Postby chitown2626 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:04 am

JetsFan1990 wrote:If they aren't interviewing at your school, then don't send a cover letter. done.

bad advice.

at least for my school, for the resume collects on symplicity, each different employer will specifiy what they want. In your example when they say address cover letter to "X," that means they want a CL. There should also be a drop down when you click on apply to add a CL (there should be "drop-downs" for everything they want, i.e. resume, writing sample, unofficial transcript ect). I would guess that about 75% of the employers on my symplicity have wanted a CL. For the ones that don't, that is when you don't include it.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:33 am

TLSNYC wrote:If a firm is accepting resumes through symplicity, is it necessary to send along a cover letter too? The descriptions mention "Please address cover letters to X" but doesn't elsewhere specify if they are wanted. On the firm's website, it is says that it wants only resumes from students whose schools they are not interviewing at. Are cover letters assumed or not needed?

I don't know how much clearer their intentions could be.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:11 pm

when you click on "apply" it will show what's required. If a cover letter is marked required, you won't be able to submit without one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:58 pm

What about when a cover letter is requested but not required? On our system, every firm has all the docs listed as requested, but as long as you submit a resume, the system will let you bid.

Guessing I should send CL's to all?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about when a cover letter is requested but not required? On our system, every firm has all the docs listed as requested, but as long as you submit a resume, the system will let you bid.

Guessing I should send CL's to all?

I don't think it's that crucial if it is not required, unless you have something substantive to say. There is really no reason to submit a template form letter if it's not required.

Return to “Legal Employment”