Probably failed the bar. When do I start looking for a job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
%%%

Probably failed the bar. When do I start looking for a job?

Postby %%% » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:14 pm

Unemployed T14 2012 grad here. Pretty sure I failed the CA bar for lack of preparation.

I'm told it's better for me to pass the bar exam before looking for a job. I haven't sent a single resume out since 2L summer. If I have to retake in February, am I supposed to wait until results are announced in May 2013 before mass mailing?

Mick Haller

Re: Probably failed the bar. When do I start looking for a job?

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:09 pm

If you really feel that way, it might be better to try and find a part time law clerk position. You'll make some contacts, some $$, and avoid having a long gap in your resume. Make sure to limit to 20-30 hrs per week, so you'll have time to prepare.

In my experience reviewing past exams, the Feb bar tends to test more obscure subjects, since they know everyone taking it has had more time to prepare. The questions will likely be more difficult as a result. I wouldn't wait until November to start studying, at least review the MBE subjects in the meantime. I'll probably do a quick review from time to time, even though I think I probably did okay last week.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:54 pm

FWIW (not much, I guess) the OP probably passed. Feeling bad means nothing and T14 grads rarely fail first time out.

%%%

Postby %%% » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 am

I started studying too late and completely skipped reviewing for half of the subjects tested on the essays. I probably needed three more weeks. Absent some miracle or mistake, I'm pretty sure I failed.

I wouldn't mind sitting around or traveling (don't need the short term money), but how badly would 6-9 extra months of employment gap impact me?

Hm....law clerk position. It's okay to tell them I'll be around for less than a year, right?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:37 am

Yea bro just assume you failed and continue ruining your career by not looking for work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 am

Maybe you did not fail the BAR though. Try to remain positive! I bet you passed! Good luck!! You will do great!!!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers.html

Cute.
Also, abuse of the anon feature.
Poster has therefore been revealed.

Return to “Legal Employment”