DC Associate/OCI Interviewer taking ?s

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tengorazon

Re: DC Associate/OCI Interviewer taking ?s

Postby tengorazon » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:You touched on people moving from NY to DC briefly, but any more specific thoughts about how feasible it is? At your firm, any sense of how hard it would be for, say, a junior litigation associate to transfer offices for personal (significant other's job, etc.) reasons?

I'm at a NY office and potentially in this position, FWIW. I can see why it would be difficult to do since almost universally, any firm with a DC office and a NY office will have tighter hiring standards for the DC office.

It happens, but I can't really judge how difficult it is since I've never tried. My impression is that it's easier for someone to do a lot of work with people in the other city, but still be based in your home city, than to actually transfer. But like I said, transfers do happen.

Anonymous User wrote:Anon who asked this question. Thanks, I will be doing IP work--mostly patent lit and some trademark. It seems that people with patent prosecution experience are in high demand but I'm not so sure about lit. Since NoVa offices seem to do most of the prosecution hopefully I'll have a chance at DC offices? After how many years do litigation associates usually lateral to DC?

Most of the laterals I know are pretty junior. But that might just be a function of my rank and firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:42 am

tengorazon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you have any sense of how the the V50ish DC firms are doing? Someone on here keeps rumbling about Pillsbury. King & Spalding?

There are always rumblings about Pillsbury, but it's still standing AFAIK. Not sure about K&S. The DC office had a high profile back when they had Paul Clement. Unclear how they're doing today.

Did an interview with Pillsbury about a week ago. Several of the partners and associates mentioned that the firm has zero debt and owns their offices straight up (no lease commitments).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Did an interview with Pillsbury about a week ago. Several of the partners and associates mentioned that the firm has zero debt and owns their offices straight up (no lease commitments).

Interesting. I heard different about the offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 am

How important do you think it is to go to a "major" D.C. firm, like Hogan, versus somewhere that does very well in D.C., isn't really a satellite office yet is definitely not what you think of as a D.C. firm (i.e. O'Melveny).

Also, if you know, what D.C. firms do you feel are the strongest in terms of white collar work?

Thanks for your help! This is great.

tengorazon

Postby tengorazon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:How important do you think it is to go to a "major" D.C. firm, like Hogan, versus somewhere that does very well in D.C., isn't really a satellite office yet is definitely not what you think of as a D.C. firm (i.e. O'Melveny).

At the level you're talking about, I don't think it really matters. OMM DC is a great office and you certainly wouldn't be disadvantaged in any way by going there over a "traditional" DC firm.

Also, if you know, what D.C. firms do you feel are the strongest in terms of white collar work?

On a general level, Williams & Connolly, Kirkland, Gibson, and other places known for elite lit practices.

Return to “Legal Employment”