Cover Letter Template for Big Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover Letter Template for Big Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Can anybody point me to a link where someone has posted a template for a cover letter?

Much appreciated!

Ludo!

Re: Cover Letter Template for Big Firms

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Thank you so much!

Zeile

Postby Zeile » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:41 am

tagged

Reprisal

Postby Reprisal » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:11 pm

The Berkeley sample is way too long, imho, but to be expected from a university that believes each of its students is a beautiful snowflake.

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

I am a student at SCHOOL. [My {extended} family lives in PLACE and] I am interested in becoming a summer associate at FIRM because of my interest in FIRM'S PRACTICE and my desire to practice in PLACE.

In my [prior, if you have another grad degree] education at SCHOOL, I studied management and finance. While there, I DID OTHER THINGS IN ANOTHER PLACE DURING SUMMERS, OR DURING SCHOOL. (If appropriate) I ALSO DID ANOTHER THING.

This summer I worked for LEGAL EXPERIENCE to gain experience with the steps of litigation, from discovery to appeal. This semester I am taking courses in RELEVANT COURSES.

I hope my credentials demonstrate my readiness to work and learn, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

<signature>

YOU

A cover letter should point out relevant courses or distinguishing background information that might not come through on a re'sume', wouldn't be appropriate to sua sponte bring up in an interview, but that might still weigh on a recruiter's decision. Keep it short. Keep it direct. By and large, cover letters are purely an opportunity for them to ding you, not an opportunity for you to score points.

Return to “Legal Employment”