Ask Partner about Post-Grad Employment? (1L)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I do this?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

Ask Partner about Post-Grad Employment? (1L)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:27 pm

I am finishing up my 1L summer internship at a small/midsize firm in my home market (about ~20 attorneys). I would really love to work here after law school -- interesting work, nice people, and a lot of independence. I have been told by a named partner, as well as some others, that the firm occasionally hires from their summer interns; however, since they do not have a formalized SA program, the hiring is somewhat inconsistent.

I am curious as to whether I should let the "hiring" partner that I would like a job at the firm following graduation. While in his office, I would say something like, "I understand that [the firm] hires from its summer clerks. I just want you to know that I would love to work here after I graduate. Is there anything I can do to ensure I have an opportunity to do so?" Is this a bad idea? Also, I have received great (although informal) performance reviews concerning my work-product throughout the summer.

Anonymous User

Re: Ask Partner about Post-Grad Employment? (1L)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 am

OP here -- no advice as to how I should do it? Why I shouldn't? I just don't want to botch this opportunity.

Return to “Legal Employment”