Tell me about splitting - same firm, two markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
piccolittle

Tell me about splitting - same firm, two markets

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:19 pm

So I tried a search, but all I got was discussion of firm splits and a lot of Texas. I don't know which market I want, but I'm deciding between two. Has anyone split the summer between two offices of the same firm and gotten an offer at both offices? How easy is it to change your mind about market once you have an offer from one of the offices? I know that usually the split is more of a "hey, check out a new place and have some fun" kind of thing, but what if you legitimately can't decide between them? Do you usually have to interview with both offices in order to split (I know that's kind of firm specific)?

Experiences and conjecture both welcomed!
Last edited by piccolittle on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Re: Tell me about splitting - same firm, two markets

Postby bdubs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:51 pm

piccolittle wrote:So I tried with a search, but all I got was discussion of firm splits and a lot of Texas. I don't know which market I want, but I'm deciding between two. Has anyone split the summer between two offices of the same firm and gotten an offer at both offices? How easy is it to change your mind about market once you have an offer from one of the offices? I know that usually the split is more of a "hey, check out a new place and have some fun" kind of thing, but what if you legitimately can't decide between them? Do you usually have to interview with both offices in order to split (I know that's kind of firm specific)?

Experiences and conjecture both welcomed!

It seems like certain firms really encourage some kind of split and some do not. I've heard that Cleary and S&C both encourage associates to spend time at another office during the summer. Not sure about other firms.

It would probably help to know what markets.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm

SF/SV and NY

Anyone have any experience doing this? I know firms encourage people to basically visit another office, but what about splitting for the purpose of making a decision between the markets for post-grad employment?

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 pm

piccolittle wrote:SF/SV and NY

Anyone have any experience doing this? I know firms encourage people to basically visit another office, but what about splitting for the purpose of making a decision between the markets for post-grad employment?

I will try to get some firm to let me split between the NYC office and the Hong Kong office (I lived over there for years, so it's a request that makes sense given my background). I will not mention this, however, until after I get an offer to avoid being does-not-strongly-enough-favor-our-location dinged.

It's probably a good idea in general not to make special requests until one gets an offer.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Perseus_I wrote:

I will try to get some firm to let me split between the NYC office and the Hong Kong office (I lived over there for years, so it's a request that makes sense given my background). I will not mention this, however, until after I get an offer to avoid being does-not-strongly-enough-favor-our-location dinged.

It's probably a good idea in general not to make special requests until one gets an offer.

Absolutely, these things don't get mentioned until post-offer stage. Is it possible to have the offer rescinded if you express uncertainty about your offer market by asking for a split?

Would be nice to hear from people who split their summers and got to pick their market (if that even happens).

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:25 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:

Absolutely, these things don't get mentioned until post-offer stage. Is it possible to have the offer rescinded if you express uncertainty about your offer market by asking for a split?

Would be nice to hear from people who split their summers and got to pick their market (if that even happens).

I did it when I was a summer (bi-coastal cities). But this was back in the halcyon days when the legal market was much better than it is today.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:33 pm

anon168 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:

I did it when I was a summer (bi-coastal cities). But this was back in the halcyon days when the legal market was much better than it is today.

Did you interview with both offices? Thanks for your input!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Did this at DPW. Many firms will let you summer at both offices and then give you offers at both as a matter of course.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did this at DPW. Many firms will let you summer at both offices and then give you offers at both as a matter of course.

Can you PM me about that? Would love to ask you some more detailed questions.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 am

piccolittle wrote:I did it when I was a summer (bi-coastal cities). But this was back in the halcyon days when the legal market was much better than it is today.
Did you interview with both offices? Thanks for your input!

Yes.

Return to “Legal Employment”