Exernships approved without interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exernships approved without interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 pm

I have an externship lined up. No interview required, just resume and writing samples and a letter explaining my interest.

Anyone else have this happen? It is with a free legal aid office, but I thought there would at least be an interview. Other places that I applied mentioned they'd require one, but I took this one. Is this common?

Anonymous User

Re: Exernships approved without interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an externship lined up. No interview required, just resume and writing samples and a letter explaining my interest.

Anyone else have this happen? It is with a free legal aid office, but I thought there would at least be an interview. Other places that I applied mentioned they'd require one, but I took this one. Is this common?

A judge accepted me without a formal interview, but he called without warning and talked to me for a few minutes before giving the offer. I guess that was a sort of interview.

Yes, it happens. But it is rare, even for unpaid positions.

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:08 pm

wow a judge. That is a shock, since those tend to be the ones with the most people gunning for them. Kudos.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 pm

jurisx wrote:wow a judge. That is a shock, since those tend to be the ones with the most people gunning for them. Kudos.

1L Summer, not clerkship. Landing a summer internship with an art. III judge is much, much easier than landing a clerkship with the same judge. For 1L summer, the only ones with lots of applicants are big firms. Since every 1L seems to feel entitled to a big law job at my school, they all apply on December 1, and many who do not get a firm job give up in disgust and do summer school without any legal internship.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jurisx wrote:wow a judge. That is a shock, since those tend to be the ones with the most people gunning for them. Kudos.

1L Summer, not clerkship. Landing a summer internship with an art. III judge is much, much easier than landing a clerkship with the same judge. For 1L summer, the only ones with lots of applicants are big firms. Since every 1L seems to feel entitled to a big law job at my school, they all apply on December 1, and many who do not get a firm job give up in disgust and do summer school without any legal internship.

Depends on the school. Most kids from t-14s probably gun for 1L SAs but at my range of school I think most people gun for working for a judge since we know we have no chance at a SA.
And to answer the question OP, that happened to a friend of mine, but I don't think it's that common to get offered a job without an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:17 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Depends on the school. Most kids from t-14s probably gun for 1L SAs but at my range of school I think most people gun for working for a judge since we know we have no chance at a SA.
And to answer the question OP, that happened to a friend of mine, but I don't think it's that common to get offered a job without an interview.

Depends also on the market as well. CA (where I assume you are) and NYC tend not to have many 1L SA, and getting one is often contingent upon top 10% at the likes of Penn and NYU--or a special fellowship (diversity, etc.). In the South (where I go to school), it's a lot more common. Top 25% at Vanderbilt, UT, or even SMU is often sufficient.

Return to “Legal Employment”