(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Re: When interviewers ask you where else you're interviewing

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What can I do if I 100% want to work in NYC, have ties, and only bid NYC, but out of the lottery, I ended up getting an interview in a city that I have no ties to and don't want to go to?

Can I just say I bid all NYC?

Uh that's not how lottery works?

I put this firm not in NYC as a super low bid, just for kicks, and I ended up getting them...

Uh, if you put the firm as a super low bid, then you "bid" on it, so you can't say "only bid NYC."

but he did it as a goof

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:58 pm

fatduck wrote:but he did it as a goof

I understand that, but he still bid it. He could cancel it though, then he can say he is only interviewing with NYC firms. Although I don't really think it matters too much, everyone things that everyone wants to be in NYC.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I dont think you have to disclosue unless they say "tell me every other firm you are bidding on"

For example, if new york firms ask where else you are interviewing, just say New York. It's an honest answer to their ?

Also, fatduck, your 'tar is about to give me a seizure.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I understand that, but he still bid it. He could cancel it though, then he can say he is only interviewing with NYC firms. Although I don't really think it matters too much, everyone things that everyone wants to be in NYC.

At my school you can't cancel.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

At my school you can't cancel.

I guess you shouldn't have bid on a firm that you can't blow off. But you can always say you are only seriously considering NYC firms. Personally I wouldn't say I only bid on NYC firms when I have a DC interview in the PM. But you can sell your preference.

But I really don't think commitment to the area is something NYC firms worry about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:07 pm

I'm an associate that does interviews for my firm. The main reason we ask this question is because we're a secondary market and we want to gauge how serious the LS is about our market. There's no wrong answer, but if the majority of your interviews are in NY or DC, we're going to question how serious you are about our firm and our market. It's not going to cost you an offer, but it's a datapoint that we'd like to have.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:12 pm

fatduck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Uh, if you put the firm as a super low bid, then you "bid" on it, so you can't say "only bid NYC."

but he did it as a goof

Are you saying he goofed?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:38 pm

nevdash wrote:
fatduck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Uh, if you put the firm as a super low bid, then you "bid" on it, so you can't say "only bid NYC."

but he did it as a goof

no, he didn't goof. he did it AS a goof. as a god damn goof.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 pm

In my experience, the easy way to respond to this question is, "I ideally hope to practice in [your city], although I also am interviewing in [home city/NYC/city near law school/etc.] because I know I can't take anything for granted in this economy."

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:41 pm

fatduck wrote:
nevdash wrote:
fatduck wrote:

but he did it as a goof

no, he didn't goof. he did it AS a goof. as a god damn goof.

"Nancy, you were here when I was bidding. Do you remember why I placed that bid in a secondary market?"
"If I remember correctly, you did it as a goof."

Return to “Legal Employment”