(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Re: When interviewers ask you where else you're interviewing

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm

ajax adonis wrote:What exactly are interviewers trying to figure out or get at when they ask you where else you're interviewing with or applying to? Do they want to know specific names? Are they just curious? Someone with some knowledge, answer please.

Okay, I know you asked for someone with some knowledge to post, and I think you already asked in the V15 interviewer taking questions thread, but this is my anecdotal speculation:

At my interview recently I named a very closely ranked firm that was known for the same kind of practice (where I also had an interview, duh). All of my interviewers were extremely interested and wrote the firm name down on my resume. I think it's a good opportunity to come up with a narrative about the kind of firm you're looking for, as in: "I'm also looking at [firm] and [firm], because I'm eager to join a strong corporate group at a firm that is known for culture and fostering strong relationships between its associates, as well as excellent mentorship and training programs etc. etc." If you can tie your interests to a firm with which they have good relationships or work with often, I'm sure that's a plus as it shows them a) who their competition is, b) that you're desirable and in their league, and c) that you're being thoughtful and consistent about the type of firms you're targeting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

piccolittle wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:What exactly are interviewers trying to figure out or get at when they ask you where else you're interviewing with or applying to? Do they want to know specific names? Are they just curious? Someone with some knowledge, answer please.

Okay, I know you asked for someone with some knowledge to post, and I think you already asked in the V15 interviewer taking questions thread, but this is my anecdotal speculation:

At my interview recently I named a very closely ranked firm that was known for the same kind of practice (where I also had an interview, duh). All of my interviewers were extremely interested and wrote the firm name down on my resume. I think it's a good opportunity to come up with a narrative about the kind of firm you're looking for, as in: "I'm also looking at [firm] and [firm], because I'm eager to join a strong corporate group at a firm that is known for culture and fostering strong relationships between its associates, as well as excellent mentorship and training programs etc. etc." If you can tie your interests to a firm with which they have good relationships or work with often, I'm sure that's a plus as it shows them a) who their competition is, b) that you're desirable and in their league, and c) that you're being thoughtful and consistent about the type of firms you're targeting.

Do they ever ask like "By excellent mentorship/training programs, what do you mean specifically about our firm?"

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Well, they're definitely going to ask why you're interested in their firm. Best choice is not to mention vague reasons you can't back up (as in, don't say "mentorship" if you don't know exactly what you're talking about at both firms). The key is to come up with consistent features you're looking for in firms, and tie that to specific things you like about the one you're interviewing with. Just my experience - I'm not an expert or anything, but that strategy has worked for me so far, and I think it's pretty commonly followed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 pm

piccolittle wrote:Well, they're definitely going to ask why you're interested in their firm. Best choice is not to mention vague reasons you can't back up (as in, don't say "mentorship" if you don't know exactly what you're talking about at both firms). The key is to come up with consistent features you're looking for in firms, and tie that to specific things you like about the one you're interviewing with. Just my experience - I'm not an expert or anything, but that strategy has worked for me so far, and I think it's pretty commonly followed.

Any tips on websites or tools to find out about which firms have different mentorship programs etc?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Firms consider their "peer firms" to be the ones who are just about a level higher than they actually are.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Well, they're definitely going to ask why you're interested in their firm. Best choice is not to mention vague reasons you can't back up (as in, don't say "mentorship" if you don't know exactly what you're talking about at both firms). The key is to come up with consistent features you're looking for in firms, and tie that to specific things you like about the one you're interviewing with. Just my experience - I'm not an expert or anything, but that strategy has worked for me so far, and I think it's pretty commonly followed.

Any tips on websites or tools to find out about which firms have different mentorship programs etc?

Chambers and Associates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Firms consider their "peer firms" to be the ones who are just about a level higher than they actually are.

So name drop Cravath, Milbank, and DPW at every big law interview if this is, in fact, accurate?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Firms consider their "peer firms" to be the ones who are just about a level higher than they actually are.

So name drop Cravath, Milbank, and DPW at every big law interview if this is, in fact, accurate?

Weird Milbank trolling.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm

I don't think that's true. But it might be true in DC.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't purposely name drop unless explicitly asked. But when I mean a level I mean a small level. V10->V5. V20->v10. V50->V20.

So if Weil asks where you are interviewing say: K&E, Latham, but also mention your DPW, SulCrom and Skadden interviews.

Also, only mention firms in that market.

And try to mention similar firms. If you are telling Latham bro's you want M&A don't mention you are interviewing at Quinn.

Even if they don't think they are that good, interviewing at a better firm won't harm you in their mind.
Last edited by 09042014 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Think of the firms like dogs, and the applicants like toys. One particular dog may not be that interested in a given toy, but once another dog picks it up, the first dog has to have it. Firms are incredibly jealous of each other. They ask this question in part to see if they made a mistake in calling you back. If you're only interviewing with one other firm they consider to be in their peer group, they probably figure they misjudged you and will pass. But if you're interviewing with all of their perceived competition, or better yet, have an offer from the firm next door, watch how fast they extend that offer.

If you have peer-firm interviews on your plate, mention them all. If you don't, consider lying about it. They aren't going to call around and check, and I personally noticed that my callbacks took a noticeable turn for the worse in situations where interviewers aggressively pursued names of other firms where I was interviewing and I couldn't supply a list of peer firms.

There is also the opposite effect if you are interviewing below your numbers. If you're at a firm that usually doesn't get people who are top 10% and LR and you name drop a bunch of firms that typically do, the firm is going to yield protect and assume you're going elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm an associate, and yes, we ask this. It's partly out of curiosity, but part of it is that it's just another way to get to know more about the applicant. The following are all valid answers, but all provide different information about an applicant:

"I'm applying only in Chicago, because I grew up here. Some large firms, some smaller firms." --> This girl doesn't yet know what she wants to do (which is totally fine, by the way), but she knows what she's getting into by moving to Chicago.

"I'm applying mostly with IP firms, but also to some larger firms with a strong IP practice. I'm applying mostly in New York, but also to good IP firms elsewhere." --> This guy has figured out what he wants to do, is serious about it, and is willing to relocate to work in his preferred field.

"I'm applying with smaller litigation practices. I have decided that I would rather start my career at a smaller place than at one of the huge firms." --> This girl places importance on her work environment. She probably finds it important to make connections with co-workers and feel comfortable and at home in the office.

"I've narrowed it down between {your firm} and {different firm}." --> If your firm and the other firm are similar, it again gives you a sense of what the applicant is looking for. If they are very different, it's a good conversation starter on what the applicant is looking for.

I don't think I've ever heard a 'wrong' answer to this question. It's just a "get to know you" question. (That said, I guess there are wrong answers to it. "I'm applying only to firms where people don't work crazy hours." "I randomly picked 20 firms to put on my bid list." "I've narrowed it down to firms with at least three bars nearby." Don't do that. But you know that.)

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:32 pm

They also want to know how likely you are to accept their offer so they can estimate a ratio of offers given versus number of acceptances. You don't want more people to accept than you have space for, but you also don't want to low ball your number of offers and find out not enough people accepted, and now OCI recruiting is done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:42 am

What if you're applying for a variety of places? For example, I'm interviewing with several firms and a couple government entities, too. Does that make me seem like I don't know what I want?

(I'm applying widely and I have a genuine interest in each of the places I apply, btw.)

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:What if you're applying for a variety of places? For example, I'm interviewing with several firms and a couple government entities, too. Does that make me seem like I don't know what I want?

(I'm applying widely and I have a genuine interest in each of the places I apply, btw.)

Don't tell the firms about the agencies and vice versa (unless asked).

ETA: can you do gov't during the semester instead?

McQueen

Postby McQueen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:44 am

Strangely enough I hear this works wonders. If the interviewer asks if you are also applying in DC, NYC, etc., say NO. This is the city where I want to work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:49 am

What can I do if I 100% want to work in NYC, have ties, and only bid NYC, but out of the lottery, I ended up getting an interview in a city that I have no ties to and don't want to go to?

Can I just say I bid all NYC?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:What can I do if I 100% want to work in NYC, have ties, and only bid NYC, but out of the lottery, I ended up getting an interview in a city that I have no ties to and don't want to go to?

Uh that's not how lottery works?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:54 am

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What can I do if I 100% want to work in NYC, have ties, and only bid NYC, but out of the lottery, I ended up getting an interview in a city that I have no ties to and don't want to go to?

Uh yes it is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:59 am

IAFG wrote:

I put this firm not in NYC as a super low bid, just for kicks, and I ended up getting them...

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 am

McQueen wrote:Strangely enough I hear this works wonders. If the interviewer asks if you are also applying in DC, NYC, etc., say NO. This is the city where I want to work.

Are you allowed to just lie like that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 am

MissLucky wrote:
McQueen wrote:Strangely enough I hear this works wonders. If the interviewer asks if you are also applying in DC, NYC, etc., say NO. This is the city where I want to work.

Are you allowed to just lie like that?

A lawyer lie? You jest!

Actually, if you are being interviewed in a secondary market (ala Boston) by a firm accustomed to being burned by people using their firm as a NYC/DC stepping stone, they are undoubtedly leery and super sensitive (which is probably why they asked the question). The poster provided you with the correct answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if you're applying for a variety of places? For example, I'm interviewing with several firms and a couple government entities, too. Does that make me seem like I don't know what I want?

Don't tell the firms about the agencies and vice versa (unless asked).

ETA: can you do gov't during the semester instead?

These are full-time jobs I'm interviewing for.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I put this firm not in NYC as a super low bid, just for kicks, and I ended up getting them...

Uh, if you put the firm as a super low bid, then you "bid" on it, so you can't say "only bid NYC."

Return to “Legal Employment”