Least fit focused firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:00 am

Even if you have a shit personality, if your grades are good enough, someone will take you.

Pretty sure Cadwalader is a non-fit firm. Cleary has a reputation for taking people who are kind of weird. Then there are firms with massive class sizes (besides S&C) such as Paul Weiss, DPW, and STB that are so big and hire so many out of T14's that I can't imagine that they select entirely for fit. Same goes for Kirkland/Cravath.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 am

keg411 wrote:Even if you have a shit personality, if your grades are good enough, someone will take you.

Pretty sure Cadwalader is a non-fit firm. Cleary has a reputation for taking people who are kind of weird. Then there are firms with massive class sizes (besides S&C) such as Paul Weiss, DPW, and STB that are so big and hire so many out of T14's that I can't imagine that they select entirely for fit. Same goes for Kirkland/Cravath.

Thanks. Grades aren't top 10% T14 but decent.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:Are you fat or something?

Gross.

Fat people have no personality?

"Fit focused"

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:38 am

OP, thank you for reminding me why I hate law students.

Even the snobbiest of the grade-snobby firms aren't going to want to give a job offer to someone they absolutely can't stand. For your sake, I hope you're just a bit quiet/shy--not an ideal personality to take into an interview setting, but something that can definitely be overlooked/forgiven. If you're an all-out aspie/asshole, I don know what to tell you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:53 am

HeavenWood wrote:OP, thank you for reminding me why I hate law students.

Even the snobbiest of the grade-snobby firms aren't going to want to give a job offer to someone they absolutely can't stand. For your sake, I hope you're just a bit quiet/shy--not an ideal personality to take into an interview setting, but something that can definitely be overlooked/forgiven. If you're an all-out aspie/asshole, I don know what to tell you.

A bit boring perhaps, but not an asshole.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:OP, thank you for reminding me why I hate law students.

A bit boring perhaps, but not an asshole.

That's not so awful then. Being unmemorable isn't great, but better to be whatshisname? than the weirdo who made the killer faux pas. Come up with/practice delivering a ton of answers to reasonable hypothetical questions. Even if you were a superstar, you should be doing that anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm not really sure I buy the idea that any firm could not care about fit. I work at Quinn and we tend to definitely be cut from the same cloth - I don't know if it's who accepts offers there, or who gets them, but it feels like "fit" plays a tremendous role at least in our firm. That's been my experience at other firms, too. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say it goes this way by OFFICE.

ryanmot

Postby ryanmot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:Why would you not want to work at a firm where fit is not important? Do you have a shit personality?

There are firms where people with shit personalities fit in perfectly so even then...

Bottom line, if you're really that dull there are law firms for you still. I.e. the ones that just look for the boring work horses with top grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:02 pm

monkey85 wrote:
chimp wrote:Enjoy DLA Piper

Baltimore office sounds like it'll work for OP.

What does this mean? I am from Baltimore and was going to send a mass-mail to DLA Piper. Is it that terrible? This firm really seems to have an awful reputation on here...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
chimp wrote:Enjoy DLA Piper

Baltimore office sounds like it'll work for OP.

What does this mean? I am from Baltimore and was going to send a mass-mail to DLA Piper. Is it that terrible? This firm really seems to have an awful reputation on here...

"[W]ater out at the DLA Piper office. No toilets, no drinking water, no coffee. Close the office, right? Wrong. Lee Miller, assistant douche, insists that no offices close for any reason. Lots of whining, no leaders show up, but come Monday the office is open, and porta-potties are delivered late in the morning."

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Law students are generally similar personality-wise.. Those that want biglaw even more so. So when people go to their firms and see similar personalities they probably over-estimate how much people were chosen based on "fit."

Not to say that interviewing skills don't matter a lot. I suck at interviewing and had top grades at a T14 and it definitely affected my results. But if you have the grades and interviewing skills you won't be dinged for not being "fratty," etc... enough.

Return to “Legal Employment”