Least fit focused firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:42 pm

I know S&C pretty much only looks at grades, was wondering what other firms were known for not caring much about fit.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby rad lulz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Why would you not want to work at a firm where fit is not important? Do you have a shit personality?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:Why would you not want to work at a firm where fit is not important? Do you have a shit personality?

Perhaps. Do you have an answer to the question?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby 071816 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Which market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:59 pm

chimp wrote:Which market?

NYC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Why would you not want to work at a firm where fit is not important? Do you have a shit personality?

Perhaps. Do you have an answer to the question?


Some firms are noted for nerdier, more bookish personalities (Cravath). Fit is important there too. But there is a point where someone can be so anti-social, so odd that she is not suited to work in any professional environment.

OP, rather than looking for firms that don't care about fit (they all do), either look for firms that fit your personality, or reconsider doing law.

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Why would you not want to work at a firm where fit is not important? Do you have a shit personality?

Perhaps. Do you have an answer to the question?


Some firms are noted for nerdier, more bookish personalities (Cravath). Fit is important there too. But there is a point where someone can be so anti-social, so odd that she is not suited to work in any professional environment.

OP, rather than looking for firms that don't care about fit (they all do), either look for firms that fit your personality, or reconsider doing law.


Me ^

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Quinn.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quinn.


Yep.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quinn.


Yep.

Any non-pure lit firms?

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quinn.


Yep.

Any non-pure lit firms?

Quinn looks at fit--you need to be able to bill 80 hours/week, scale mountains, and work without any amenities. Rumor has it that Weil and Kirkland are less focused on fit.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:22 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Quinn.


Yep.

Any non-pure lit firms?

Quinn looks at fit--you need to be able to bill 80 hours/week, scale mountains, and work without any amenities. Rumor has it that Weil and Kirkland are less focused on fit.


you must also be able to remain

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Don't rag on S&C. If you aren't enough of an elitist asshole they'll definitely ding you, even if you have great grades.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby 071816 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Enjoy DLA Piper

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby monkey85 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 pm

chimp wrote:Enjoy DLA Piper


Baltimore office sounds like it'll work for OP.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Funny how I have interviews at all the firms folks have mentioned as not caring about fit but got dinged at others like Locke Lord and MoFo. Is that evidence that I am an a%%hole? lol

User avatar
Perseus_I
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:Don't rag on S&C. If you aren't enough of an elitist asshole they'll definitely ding you, even if you have great grades.


Sounds good. I look forward to my interview with them. I know I am elitist and an a$$hole, but I am worried my intensity in these areas is insufficient to get a callback since I have at least some friends.

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Funny how I have interviews at all the firms folks have mentioned as not caring about fit but got dinged at others like Locke Lord and MoFo. Is that evidence that I am an a%%hole? lol


I think Locke Lord may be having some problems, and is probably not interviewing very much.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 pm

thesealocust wrote:Don't rag on S&C. If you aren't enough of an elitist asshole they'll definitely ding you, even if you have great grades.



:lol:

Get a ding from them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:01 am

please do not listen to the poster who said that kirkland is less focused on fit. i'm a summer there and partners have told me that they look for personality and charisma in an interview. kirkland emphasizes and values personalities that will thrive in a go getter and free market system, so fit is really important.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:please do not listen to the poster who said that kirkland is less focused on fit. i'm a summer there and partners have told me that they look for personality and charisma in an interview. kirkland emphasizes and values personalities that will thrive in a go getter and free market system, so fit is really important.


I knew someone who summered at Kirkland who announced to the HR person that they would not attend any of the summer events because they didn't like socializing and to just judge them on their work-product. They got an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:please do not listen to the poster who said that kirkland is less focused on fit. i'm a summer there and partners have told me that they look for personality and charisma in an interview. kirkland emphasizes and values personalities that will thrive in a go getter and free market system, so fit is really important.


I knew someone who summered at Kirkland who announced to the HR person that they would not attend any of the summer events because they didn't like socializing and to just judge them on their work-product. They got an offer.


So does everyone at Cleary. Does that mean that all 100 summer associates were peachy keen?


Another dumb shit post.

User avatar
Grazzhoppa
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Grazzhoppa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:50 am

Are you fat or something?




Gross.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:28 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:Are you fat or something?




Gross.

Fat people have no personality?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Least fit focused firms?

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Funny how I have interviews at all the firms folks have mentioned as not caring about fit but got dinged at others like Locke Lord and MoFo. Is that evidence that I am an a%%hole? lol

Firms that don't take a lot of people don't take a lot of people.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.