UC Hastings OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ilovesf

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:17 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I thought K&S interview went super well, which apparently means absolutely nothing... Bummer.

Why is Fenwick taking so long though? It's been like 2 and a half weeks.

Fenwick Lulz. Have they given out callbacks? Going back through the thread to look seems hard...

Yeah they have. Not me but I heard people talking about it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought K&S interview went super well, which apparently means absolutely nothing... Bummer.

I don't think K&S is even hiring. They didn't have SAs in sf last year. If they are hiring I guess it is 1-2, so very small chance of a CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I don't think K&S is even hiring. They didn't have SAs in sf last year. If they are hiring I guess it is 1-2, so very small chance of a CB.

It seems like some of these firms attend our OCI with no intention of hiring anyone outside top 10%. Waste of everyone's time. I could have actually enjoyed the last two weeks of my summer break instead of stressing out.

Sorry to vent, guys. :(

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

It seems like some of these firms attend our OCI with no intention of hiring anyone outside top 10%. Waste of everyone's time. I could have actually enjoyed the last two weeks of my summer break instead of stressing out.

I feel the same way :|

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like some of these firms attend our OCI with no intention of hiring anyone outside top 10%. Waste of everyone's time. I could have actually enjoyed the last two weeks of my summer break instead of stressing out.

Agreed. I guess I can't blame them... I do think these firms are starting to slowly hire again, which bodes well for us.

uch14

Postby uch14 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Fenwick has given out some CBs. Also heard they gave someone an offer already

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Yeah. I heard of a couple other firms starting to give out offers too. It's making me nervous as fuck.

uch14

Postby uch14 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Yup def heard that too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 pm

uch14 wrote:Fenwick has given out some CBs. Also heard they gave someone an offer already

And here I was thinking I might have been on some sort of a waitlist.

I can even focus on school anymore. Hopefully I can finish the source pull on time.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
uch14 wrote:Fenwick has given out some CBs. Also heard they gave someone an offer already

I can even focus on school anymore. Hopefully I can finish the source pull on time.

Sorry, they likely just don't care enough about getting back to us to actually do it in a timely manner, or at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:21 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, they likely just don't care enough about getting back to us to actually do it in a timely manner, or at all.

:(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Do we know the % of people who found OCI / biglaw jobs last year (i.e., current 3L class)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know the % of people who found OCI / biglaw jobs last year (i.e., current 3L class)?

Maybe contact CSO?

Anyone hear from Sheppard Mullin (SD) or any other firms/offices in So Cal (south of LA)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 am

I saw that a couple people got email dings from Farella, but has anyone gotten a callback from them yet?

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do we know the % of people who found OCI / biglaw jobs last year (i.e., current 3L class)?

I personally don't know anyone outside top 10-15% or so who got SA biglaw positions through OCI.

Two guys I know in HLJ: One did not get any biglaw job. The other got one because he had known the managing partner of the firm even before law school, and she did him a favor. Not sure if it's a big firm, but the name is somewhat familiar. This firm had not had a summer program for a few years, and he was the exception. He did not get a post-grad offer.

Of course I know others in HLJ who got biglaw SA through OCI, but they have the "partner" aura or the quiet "sniper" aura.

Corporate and IP work in Silicon Valley are going down because FB IPO is over, and clients are leaving big firms for some reason. I heard only half the WSGR's (forgot the specific office) summer class got an offer back because they overhired the class before two of its clients jumped ship.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 am

My guess for both c/o 2012-2013 would be 10%, 15% at the absolute very best.

But post-OCI jobs still exist, you just have to hustle. I got one and will be glad to share my thoughts on how to do so if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 am

hiima3L wrote:

My guess for both c/o 2012-2013 would be 10%, 15% at the absolute very best.

But post-OCI jobs still exist, you just have to hustle. I got one and will be glad to share my thoughts on how to do so if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Law School Transparency shows about 7%, so long as you assume biglaw firms as being 501+ attorneys (which they are).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe contact CSO?

Anyone hear from Sheppard Mullin (SD) or any other firms/offices in So Cal (south of LA)?

CBs from:

Sidley Austin LA
Sheppard Mullin LA
Stradling Yocca

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm

K&S cb today. I guess they are taking SAs this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe contact CSO?

Career Services said last year the number was 25-30% were hired out of OCI. Presumably that referred to the year before, so that number is now as much as 2 years old.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe contact CSO?

Career Services said last year the number was 25-30% were hired out of OCI. Presumably that referred to the year before, so that number is now as much as 2 years old.

And oci isn't only big law so that's also DA, etc.

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe contact CSO?

There is no way career services is accurate here. 10% seems more accurate for last year, maybe 15% on the outside.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 pm

weaselology wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe contact CSO?

There is no way career services is accurate here. 10% seems more accurate for last year, maybe 15% on the outside.

Like Sf said, there is more than biglaw hiring at OCI. This is especially true if Career Services (disingenuously) counts Spring OCI as part of that number.

My guess is ~50% of the employers at Fall OCI are mid-sized or PI. Career Services are also probably counting resume drops in that number. Otherwise I can't see how they would possible get up to 30% of the class (I'm shocked if even 30% of the class sends in application for firm interviews.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 pm

weaselology wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe contact CSO?

This can be accurate though if a lot of the students didn't participate in OCI.

jschille

Postby jschille » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:12 pm

30% cannot be correct. Most firms require/prefer top 10-25% and only take a handful of those ppl...

Return to “Legal Employment”