UC Hastings OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JJDancer

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby JJDancer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:
uch14 wrote:Paul Hastings CB

Nice. In another thread on TLS people are writing a lot about how SAs in CA offices have been getting no-offered for lame reasons. If your CB goes well and you have multiple offers I recommend you check it out.

Is that only in PH's CA offices?

uch14

Postby uch14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 pm

with 12 callbacks, i am def hoping for multiple offers

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:53 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Nice. In another thread on TLS people are writing a lot about how SAs in CA offices have been getting no-offered for lame reasons. If your CB goes well and you have multiple offers I recommend you check it out.

Looks like Paul Hastings hired almost all of their summer associates from last year.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:56 pm

uch14 wrote:with 12 callbacks, i am def hoping for multiple offers

^ murdered oci lol

uch14

Postby uch14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 pm

except now i'm going to fail all my classes because i'll be spending the first 2 weeks of school in callbacks
DildaMan wrote:

^ murdered oci lol

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:08 pm

uch14 wrote:except now i'm going to fail all my classes because i'll be spending the first 2 weeks of school in callbacks
DildaMan wrote:

^ murdered oci lol

worth it

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm

uch14 wrote:except now i'm going to fail all my classes because i'll be spending the first 2 weeks of school in callbacks
DildaMan wrote:

^ murdered oci lol

#whitegirlproblems? :mrgreen:

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
DildaMan wrote:

^ murdered oci lol

#whitegirlproblems? :mrgreen:

lol.

and by the way, best username i've seen on the TLS forums.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Damn. I feel so inadequate. Great job.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 pm

jschille wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Looks like Paul Hastings hired almost all of their summer associates from last year.

That's not what people on TLS are saying, at all. NALP numbers can be misleading because they give cold offers, which means they tell the SA they will give them a good reference and tell other firms they gave an offer, but there is an understanding that they actually can't come work there. Anyway, of course I have no personal knowledge of any of this, I just thought I'd drop some of the things that are being talked about around here in case they will be useful.

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:
jschille wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

That's not what people on TLS are saying, at all. NALP numbers can be misleading because they give cold offers, which means they tell the SA they will give them a good reference and tell other firms they gave an offer, but there is an understanding that they actually can't come work there. Anyway, of course I have no personal knowledge of any of this, I just thought I'd drop some of the things that are being talked about around here in case they will be useful.

Hmm.. Interesting. Ya, I was just going off those NALP numbers.
http://www.paulhastings.com/careers_att ... iates.aspx

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Radio silence today.
Sup, ALLDAFIRMS?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:00 pm

reasonable troll wrote:Radio silence today.
Sup, ALLDAFIRMS?

I got some dings today. That bodes well for you if you didn't.

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:05 pm

ilovesf wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:Radio silence today.
Sup, ALLDAFIRMS?

I got some dings today. That bodes well for you if you didn't.

I appreciate your optimism. Sry bout the dings - I've found it extremely satisfying to rid myself of the propaganda & business cards from the firms that ding me.#protip

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:10 pm

This true?

What to Expect

Callback interviews usually consist of a series of interviews with three to six attorneys (five is typical for large firms) individually in their offices, and often a restaurant meal with other attorneys. The same basic rules apply to callbacks as to screening interviews: arrive on time, dress professionally, and bring extra copies of your resume, transcript and writing sample. Firms will be looking for the same qualities as they did during the screening interviews: smarts, motivation, professionalism, collegiality, etc. (See the CDO Effective Interviewing Guide for more details). The interview lasts from the moment you arrive at the firm until you exit several hours later. Keep in mind that the lawyers you meet will be evaluating you, and they will notice your interaction with everyone you encounter, including their support staff and servers at restaurants. When you arrive, you will meet briefly with either an administrative staff person or an attorney before the formal interview schedule begins. You will be given a list of the people with whom you will be meeting. Make an effort to remember their names, which can be difficult when you are meeting so many new people. Remember that you are also there to learn about the firm, so you can make an informed decision should you receive an offer. Get as much information as you can during the callback, and observe the atmosphere and the people there as well. Would you like to spend the summer (or your professional life) here?

Large firms prefer to include a meal as part of the callback because their representatives want the chance to observe you in a less formal setting. Often, the attorneys who will accompany you are closer in age to you and the meal is billed as “your opportunity to ask more junior-level attorneys whatever you want.” In reality, however, they will be interviewing you and likely submitting written evaluations just as the attorneys with whom you more formally interviewed will. You should resist the temptation to “let down your guard” with these younger attorneys. At the same time, you do not want to appear like someone who cannot relax in a less formal business setting. Your challenge, therefore, is to find a balance between keeping your mind alert and “in interview mode” and not appearing like a “stuffed-shirt.” For more information about appropriate behavior and etiquette at callback lunches or dinners, you may want to listen to CDO’s Etiquette presentation from a few years ago.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/1152.htm

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 pm

jschille wrote:This true?

What to Expect

Callback interviews usually consist of a series of interviews with three to six attorneys (five is typical for large firms) individually in their offices, and often a restaurant meal with other attorneys. The same basic rules apply to callbacks as to screening interviews: arrive on time, dress professionally, and bring extra copies of your resume, transcript and writing sample. Firms will be looking for the same qualities as they did during the screening interviews: smarts, motivation, professionalism, collegiality, etc. (See the CDO Effective Interviewing Guide for more details). The interview lasts from the moment you arrive at the firm until you exit several hours later. Keep in mind that the lawyers you meet will be evaluating you, and they will notice your interaction with everyone you encounter, including their support staff and servers at restaurants. When you arrive, you will meet briefly with either an administrative staff person or an attorney before the formal interview schedule begins. You will be given a list of the people with whom you will be meeting. Make an effort to remember their names, which can be difficult when you are meeting so many new people. Remember that you are also there to learn about the firm, so you can make an informed decision should you receive an offer. Get as much information as you can during the callback, and observe the atmosphere and the people there as well. Would you like to spend the summer (or your professional life) here?

^ My callbacks have pretty much gone just as described above. I usually try for morning/lunch callbacks because the busier attorneys appear to be more available.

The meetings with the partners were much more intense. I got drilled on why I want to practice at the firm/office/under that partner, what is my preferred practice area (had to pick patent lit or prosecution), and my writing sample (believe it or not they actually read a good part of it).

The meals were pretty interesting. It's hard to chat with multiple attorneys while eating. If they're familiar with each other there will be a lot of dialogue between them, so you have to work a bit to inject yourself into the conversation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Bryan Cave SF CB

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm

jones day ding.
close to going 0/4 for Monday interviews. maybe shouldn't have scheduled my favorite callbacks first... apparently it takes me a while to warm up

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 pm

reasonable troll wrote:jones day ding.
close to going 0/4 for Monday interviews. maybe shouldn't have scheduled my favorite callbacks first... apparently it takes me a while to warm up

lol all of my positive responses were from Monday. I think it's just a total crapshoot. I've decided there is literally no way to tell if you will get a CB and sometimes the decision has nothing to do with whether you had a good interview or not.
edit: just got the jones day ding as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Have any 3Ls heard from firms they interviewed with? I haven't heard a word from anyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:29 pm

is anyone going to the OMM happy hour? do you guys know exactly how many people/who they invited?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any 3Ls heard from firms they interviewed with? I haven't heard a word from anyone.

Not me. My rationalization of it is that (a) firms need to finalize the offers and acceptances from their summer associate class before they know exactly how many associates they'll hire from 3L interviews, and then they'll sort and do CBs (b) some of the firms are hiring for both SF and SV offices, so it will take some time to figure out which one takes priority. Or I could be completely wrong and they just aren't interested in me, but no contact yet.

Also, two random phone calls from 415/650 area codes made me jump out of my chair at work. Neither was a firm though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any 3Ls heard from firms they interviewed with? I haven't heard a word from anyone.

Not me. My rationalization of it is that (a) firms need to finalize the offers and acceptances from their summer associate class before they know exactly how many associates they'll hire from 3L interviews, and then they'll sort and do CBs (b) some of the firms are hiring for both SF and SV offices, so it will take some time to figure out which one takes priority. Or I could be completely wrong and they just aren't interested in me, but no contact yet.

Also, two random phone calls from 415/650 area codes made me jump out of my chair at work. Neither was a firm though...

I like the optimistic rationale there. Let's both hope this is the case.

jschille

Postby jschille » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Fish & Richardson sent me an e-mail requesting more information... They want undergrad transcripts and writing sample.

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:41 pm

so, preface: file under #whitegirlproblems

what ARE you guys going to do about missing classes for callbacks? in some cases, its going to be the first class of the semester b/c gotsta get dem callbacks dun quick! i feel like its necessary to email the prof in order to avoid being dropped, but that seems like it might get you off on the wrong foot with some. also, i have lambert and based on the rumors i'm fairly sure he will crucify me for missing his class. :/

Return to “Legal Employment”