UC Hastings OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DildaMan

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:28 pm

ilovesf wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:Pillsbury ding. Not terribly disappointed, but it seems like it was unnecessary to send a cryptic email with a PDF of the rejection letter. :roll:

Lol. I got that too. I'm not surprised by the ding since I picked it up via open slot.

I had my first CB today and everyone was sooo nice. I really hope I made a good and lasting impression.

Congrats!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:29 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:Pillsbury ding. Not terribly disappointed, but it seems like it was unnecessary to send a cryptic email with a PDF of the rejection letter. :roll:

Lol. I got that too. I'm not surprised by the ding since I picked it up via open slot.

I had my first CB today and everyone was sooo nice. I really hope I made a good and lasting impression.

Congrats!

ilovesf + dildaman summer 2013

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Congrats!

ilovesf + dildaman summer 2013

one firm at a time /flex

where did you grab lunch?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:42 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:ilovesf + dildaman summer 2013

one firm at a time /flex

where did you grab lunch?

pm'd

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:23 am

ilovesf wrote:I had my first CB today and everyone was sooo nice. I really hope I made a good and lasting impression.

Nice!

I have my first CB tomorrow, any advice?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:36 am

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I had my first CB today and everyone was sooo nice. I really hope I made a good and lasting impression.

Nice!

Make sure to have tons of questions to ask. Just smile and be nice. Everyone is super friendly. Also, make sure to remember everyone's name. That sounds easy, but if you have a schedule with 5 people it can be a little hard. Most interviewers will ask who else you are interviewing with at the firm.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:54 am

ilovesf wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

Nice!

Make sure to have tons of questions to ask. Just smile and be nice. Everyone is super friendly. Also, make sure to remember everyone's name. That sounds easy, but if you have a schedule with 5 people it can be a little hard. Most interviewers will ask who else you are interviewing with at the firm.

looks like you did well; i hope you get it!

i had a question about the callback; did they ask you questions similar to screener questions? as in did you still get questions about your resume, behavioral questions, etc. or was it just more centered on getting to know you/getting to know the firm?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:02 am

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Nice!

looks like you did well; i hope you get it!

i had a question about the callback; did they ask you questions similar to screener questions? as in did you still get questions about your resume, behavioral questions, etc. or was it just more centered on getting to know you/getting to know the firm?

every interview was different depending on the person. I still got a lot of "why this firm" but it was more of a natural conversation. they always ask multiple times though if you have any questions, so definitely have some prepared. i didn't have any behavioral questions, but one person asked me if i did anything to show leadership skills. one person also asked me why i wanted to work at a firm since my resume is a lot of PI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 pm

ilovesf wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

Nice!

Can you give any tips on how to find firm specific questions? Seems like you've done well interviewing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Morgan Lewis gave out CBs to SCU students. Not sure what it means for Hastings candidates.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

Nice!

Can you give any tips on how to find firm specific questions? Seems like you've done well interviewing.

I haven't really done well interviewing so take my advice with a grain of salt. The best questions I think are ones that aren't readily available on the website. They can be questions that show you've done research, like "I know that you have a freemarket system of assigning work, but can you speak as to how that works practically?" or "what has your experience been like with the freemarket system and how has that affected your work" or something along those lines. I ran out of questions to ask so I asked a lot of "why did you end up choosing this firm" which is kind of a lame question, but I guess they get it all the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Sedgwick gave out CBs yesterday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Orrick phone ding.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Orrick phone ding.

phone ding? that's harsh. I wonder why they did some via phone and some via e-mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:28 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Orrick phone ding.

phone ding? that's harsh. I wonder why they did some via phone and some via e-mail.

Not as bad as it sounds, and the interviewer said I'd receive a call either way.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:41 pm

A&P e-mail ding. I'm really starting to rack those up.

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:A&P e-mail ding. I'm really starting to rack those up.

commence compulsive inbox refreshing.
A&P was one that I had to pick up. That plus a self-deprecating joke I made at the end of the interview that didn't land quite as it should have = LULZZZZZZ

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:53 pm

reasonable troll wrote:

A&P was one that I had to pick up. That plus a self-deprecating joke I made at the end of the interview that didn't land quite as it should have = LULZZZZZZ

Haha. I had a couple of those moments too. I hope you fare better at A&P than I did!

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:02 pm

ilovesf wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:

Haha. I had a couple of those moments too. I hope you fare better at A&P than I did!

thanks, buddy.

... i wonder if declaring an interest in additional offices SV, LA, etc. delays a ding? makes sense that it would delay a different-office callback but it seems like the ding should show up at the same time either way.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:

thanks, buddy.

... i wonder if declaring an interest in additional offices SV, LA, etc. delays a ding? makes sense that it would delay a different-office callback but it seems like the ding should show up at the same time either way.

I don't know. When you said you got your Shearman ding I was excited because I hadn't received one yet, but I got an e-mail like 5 hours later with a ding.

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:12 pm

FIVE HOURS IS TOO MANY HOURSS :evil: :evil: :evil:

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Baker & Botts CB

uch14

Postby uch14 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:38 pm

Paul Hastings CB

jschille

Postby jschille » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:39 pm

uch14 wrote:Paul Hastings CB

Damn. You win.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm

uch14 wrote:Paul Hastings CB

Nice. In another thread on TLS people are writing a lot about how SAs in CA offices have been getting no-offered for lame reasons. If your CB goes well and you have multiple offers I recommend you check it out.

Return to “Legal Employment”