UC Hastings OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OneMoreLawHopeful

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Quinn Emanuel SV gave at least one CB today.

Also, don't lose hope, I got a CB today from a firm that (according to this thread) started giving them out yesterday. Even if they've made a few already, you could still get one!

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:25 pm

I have a CB Monday and I still haven't gotten an e-mail with the list of my 5 interviewers that they said they'd give me. Do you guys think the recruiters work on the weekends?

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:15 pm

I would email/call.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 pm

ilovesf wrote:I have a CB Monday and I still haven't gotten an e-mail with the list of my 5 interviewers that they said they'd give me. Do you guys think the recruiters work on the weekends?

Around this time, most of them do check emails on the weekends. Also, don't be surprised if they send you the list on Sunday night.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 am

ilovesf wrote:How's oci for the 3Ls going?

Also today is my last day of interviews. Yessss.

I think it's a lot harder for 3Ls to get OCIs. Maybe only for me, though.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 pm

did anyone hear from goodwin procter or sidley austin sf?

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 pm

I didn't interview with them, but I have heard from section mates that Goodwin has given out callbacks. I haven't heard anything about Sidley yet.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I didn't interview with them, but I have heard from section mates that Goodwin has given out callbacks. I haven't heard anything about Sidley yet.

darn, thanks.

uch14

Postby uch14 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 pm

has anyone heard anything about latham callbacks?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:26 pm

uch14 wrote:has anyone heard anything about latham callbacks?

nope.

It's getting a little depressing hearing about callbacks at all these firms where I thought my interview went really well.

jschille

Postby jschille » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:45 am

Latham lady told me over a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:33 am

a male human wrote:

Agreed. I am a 3L and have only 2 CBs. What I'm curious to know is if any resume collectors, like Littler or Dechert, called anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:

Agreed. I am a 3L and have only 2 CBs. What I'm curious to know is if any resume collectors, like Littler or Dechert, called anyone?

Fellow 3L here. Who have you gotten the CBs from?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Orrick e-mail ding. That was expected. Stupid behavioral questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Arnold & Porter and Sidley (SV) callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Bingham and Winston & Strawn callbacks are out too.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:

Oh, that's not bad at all. I didn't even get screeners.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 pm

I received a snail mail rejection from Snell & Wilmer today. It felt a little nice just being recognized by the firm. :|

My hopes are now set on Cornell's regional OCI. It will be a lot easier to sell myself as a 'non-flight risk' to upstate NY employers.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm

kapital98 wrote:I received a snail mail rejection from Snell & Wilmer today. It felt a little nice just being recognized by the firm. :|

My hopes are now set on Cornell's regional OCI. It will be a lot easier to sell myself as a 'non-flight risk' to upstate NY employers.

You doing 2 oci's?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Borhas wrote:
kapital98 wrote:I received a snail mail rejection from Snell & Wilmer today. It felt a little nice just being recognized by the firm. :|

You doing 2 oci's?

Yes, but not in the way most people would think. Cornell has 2 OCI's. The first one is in NYC and is where all the big firms come out (It was held August 8-10). Cornell has a nasty habit of not admitting transfers until it's too late to sign up for their real OCI.

I went through with Hastings' OCI because I had already received interviews and didn't want to waste the opportunity. I technically didn't accept Cornell's offer until last Thursday and withdrew from Hastings on Friday.

The second OCI is held at Ithaca in late September and is full of upstate midsize firms (~50). Very few biglaw firms attend. I would love to have a summer associate position but if I can't get that I'm happy with being a Public Defender. I've already interned twice with a PD's office and they told me there is no reason to go back for a third internship. I want to have a civil law job next summer so I can see what I'm missing.

reasonable troll

Postby reasonable troll » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:17 pm

Pillsbury ding. Not terribly disappointed, but it seems like it was unnecessary to send a cryptic email with a PDF of the rejection letter. :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Has anyone actually been dinged by Cooley or has it just been some students have gotten CBs and that's it?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:49 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

You doing 2 oci's?

Yes, but not in the way most people would think. Cornell has 2 OCI's. The first one is in NYC and is where all the big firms come out (It was held August 8-10). Cornell has a nasty habit of not admitting transfers until it's too late to sign up for their real OCI.

I went through with Hastings' OCI because I had already received interviews and didn't want to waste the opportunity. I technically didn't accept Cornell's offer until last Thursday and withdrew from Hastings on Friday.

The second OCI is held at Ithaca in late September and is full of upstate midsize firms (~50). Very few biglaw firms attend. I would love to have a summer associate position but if I can't get that I'm happy with being a Public Defender. I've already interned twice with a PD's office and they told me there is no reason to go back for a third internship. I want to have a civil law job next summer so I can see what I'm missing.

A bit shady, but I don't blame you. I would be skeptical about that PD advice though, the people you've talked to may have been old timers that don't really understand how competitive most PD jobs are nowadays. Especially because 2L summer and onward is when people usually start to get experience in court and not just investigative, research and writing assignments.

lucield

Postby lucield » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:07 pm

I checked my mail box today and didn't get any letter from Snell, but I haven't received a call or anything either. Maybe my letter just hasnt arrived yet...: (

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm

reasonable troll wrote:Pillsbury ding. Not terribly disappointed, but it seems like it was unnecessary to send a cryptic email with a PDF of the rejection letter. :roll:

Lol. I got that too. I'm not surprised by the ding since I picked it up via open slot.

I had my first CB today and everyone was sooo nice. I really hope I made a good and lasting impression.

Return to “Legal Employment”