UC Hastings OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 pm

jschille wrote:Whats class size at Hastings compared to USC?


2:1 UCH:USC I believe

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
ilovesf wrote: I figure we're given 2 lottery slots?


Man, I would give anything to know which are lottery and which are preselect. I got my first 6 choices, but I can't help and wonder how many of them are really interested in me. Are you sure we only get 2 lottery slots? I'd feel a lot better knowing this is the case.

I really like our OCS, but I wish they would switch course on the whole "we don't tell you which is which" thing.


I heard lottery really only kicks in if you didn't really get any slots. Can anyone confirm?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Lasers wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
ilovesf wrote: I figure we're given 2 lottery slots?


Man, I would give anything to know which are lottery and which are preselect. I got my first 6 choices, but I can't help and wonder how many of them are really interested in me. Are you sure we only get 2 lottery slots? I'd feel a lot better knowing this is the case.

I really like our OCS, but I wish they would switch course on the whole "we don't tell you which is which" thing.

honestly, i feel HCO does a good job of sabotaging students' chances at employment in the name of not sabotaging students' chances at employment.

I think it's a confidence thing to make us thing they're ALL preselects. I think we probably have about 2. Each firm has to give 25% for lottery - so that is about 4 each. Think of ALL the people applying. In the top 25% there are 100 people. I'm not good at math and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to count firms and see how it evens out. I figure 2 is just a good guess because probably more than 100 people send out OCI apps, especially because some firms say top 25% or top 30% or whatever.

You can probably safely guess that the firms you listed after 15 are preselects. I guess if you were preselected for your top 5 firms, then your firms 5-10 could be your lottery firms. I just don't know. I didn't get my #3 firm in either preselect or lottery, or my #5 firm. So I don't know if lottery goes any lower than that.

If you got all 6 of your first choices, you probably have great grades, so don't worry about what is preselect or lottery.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 pm

DildaMan wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
ilovesf wrote: I figure we're given 2 lottery slots?


Man, I would give anything to know which are lottery and which are preselect. I got my first 6 choices, but I can't help and wonder how many of them are really interested in me. Are you sure we only get 2 lottery slots? I'd feel a lot better knowing this is the case.

I really like our OCS, but I wish they would switch course on the whole "we don't tell you which is which" thing.


I heard lottery really only kicks in if you didn't really get any slots. Can anyone confirm?

I also heard this, but I don't know. And what is didn't really get any anyway? is that none? or 3? or 5? I don't know.

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:45 pm

You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby Lasers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.

haha, don't psych yourself out! it's all good. :)

jschille
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Lasers wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.

haha, don't psych yourself out! it's all good. :)


Seriously. Just show up and charm the shit outta them.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:55 pm

If you got the screener, your numbers are probably fine.

As the poster above stated, don't be weird and you got it!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Lol I still can't believe Catholic Charities still has 8 open spots. I thought tons of people wanted to do PI?

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:Lol I still can't believe Catholic Charities still has 8 open spots. I thought tons of people wanted to do PI?


Got to pay the bills... UCH tuition bills...

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:07 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Lol I still can't believe Catholic Charities still has 8 open spots. I thought tons of people wanted to do PI?


Got to pay the bills... UCH tuition bills...

Don't remind me. :|

jschille
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 pm

jschille wrote:Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?

Do you have a UCH ID yet? It's on the corner of golden gate & larkin and with an ID costs $8/day.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm

^ Yup. I like to park at the Civic Center. Also $8 a day w/ id usually.

jschille
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:
jschille wrote:Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?

Do you have a UCH ID yet? It's on the corner of golden gate & larkin and with an ID costs $8/day.


Won't have ID until the 17th I think. Will they let me park in their without ID? Coming and going as well?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:26 pm

jschille wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
jschille wrote:Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?

Do you have a UCH ID yet? It's on the corner of golden gate & larkin and with an ID costs $8/day.


Won't have ID until the 17th I think. Will they let me park in their without ID? Coming and going as well?

No coming & going privileges for day parkers. I am not sure if you can get the discount without an ID if you explain your situation. Maybe someone in the student services office can help if you call them or go in on Monday.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Fed pd San Jose open.

123dd
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby 123dd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Lasers wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.

haha, don't psych yourself out! it's all good. :)


Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you got it through lottery or preselect. My first call back was from a lottery and I was below their preferred ranking. It seems like they view most students as "qualified enough" and just want to see if you're the kind of person they'd like to work with.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 am

Quinn Emmanuel for something less selective anyone? :P

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby Baghdadi-by-the-Bay » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks for the advice ilovesf and DildaMan. I'm interested in any interview which might lead to an offer whether its a firm, pd, etc, with a preference for civil lit side of things. But I'm sure as the month grinds on and my sense of panic grows my standards will drop and I will be informational interviewing everyone I can.

As far as usc v uch goes: Hastings' massive class size has been a problem for employment numbers. Cutting the size of next year's class should help on this score and reverse the negative trend on usnwr rank. Of course its easy for me to call for raising the drawbridge now that I'm in. Anyways, who'd want to live in South Central LA when you can spend three years in the Tenderloin?

jschille
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby jschille » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 am

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay wrote:Thanks for the advice ilovesf and DildaMan. I'm interested in any interview which might lead to an offer whether its a firm, pd, etc, with a preference for civil lit side of things. But I'm sure as the month grinds on and my sense of panic grows my standards will drop and I will be informational interviewing everyone I can.


Cast the net far and wide, my friend.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11746
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am

good luck everyone! I could not sleep AT ALL last night, so I am super tired today. and I'm at work before my interviews. uggh.

jschille
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:24 am

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby jschille » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm

You will kill it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273179
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi everyone! Rising 3L, summered at V-50 this year. Just wanted to wish you all good luck. You guys will do great!

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Postby DildaMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm





Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.