UC Hastings OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DildaMan

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:39 pm

jschille wrote:Whats class size at Hastings compared to USC?
2:1 UCH:USC I believe

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
ilovesf wrote: I figure we're given 2 lottery slots?
Man, I would give anything to know which are lottery and which are preselect. I got my first 6 choices, but I can't help and wonder how many of them are really interested in me. Are you sure we only get 2 lottery slots? I'd feel a lot better knowing this is the case.

I really like our OCS, but I wish they would switch course on the whole "we don't tell you which is which" thing.
I heard lottery really only kicks in if you didn't really get any slots. Can anyone confirm?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Lasers wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
Man, I would give anything to know which are lottery and which are preselect. I got my first 6 choices, but I can't help and wonder how many of them are really interested in me. Are you sure we only get 2 lottery slots? I'd feel a lot better knowing this is the case.

I really like our OCS, but I wish they would switch course on the whole "we don't tell you which is which" thing.
honestly, i feel HCO does a good job of sabotaging students' chances at employment in the name of not sabotaging students' chances at employment.
I think it's a confidence thing to make us thing they're ALL preselects. I think we probably have about 2. Each firm has to give 25% for lottery - so that is about 4 each. Think of ALL the people applying. In the top 25% there are 100 people. I'm not good at math and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to count firms and see how it evens out. I figure 2 is just a good guess because probably more than 100 people send out OCI apps, especially because some firms say top 25% or top 30% or whatever.

You can probably safely guess that the firms you listed after 15 are preselects. I guess if you were preselected for your top 5 firms, then your firms 5-10 could be your lottery firms. I just don't know. I didn't get my #3 firm in either preselect or lottery, or my #5 firm. So I don't know if lottery goes any lower than that.

If you got all 6 of your first choices, you probably have great grades, so don't worry about what is preselect or lottery.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:44 pm

DildaMan wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

I heard lottery really only kicks in if you didn't really get any slots. Can anyone confirm?
I also heard this, but I don't know. And what is didn't really get any anyway? is that none? or 3? or 5? I don't know.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:45 pm

You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.
haha, don't psych yourself out! it's all good. :)

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:53 pm

Lasers wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:You're probably right, I think it's just the nerves talking at this point.
Seriously. Just show up and charm the shit outta them.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:55 pm

If you got the screener, your numbers are probably fine.

As the poster above stated, don't be weird and you got it!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Lol I still can't believe Catholic Charities still has 8 open spots. I thought tons of people wanted to do PI?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:Lol I still can't believe Catholic Charities still has 8 open spots. I thought tons of people wanted to do PI?
Got to pay the bills... UCH tuition bills...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:07 pm

DildaMan wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Lol I still can't believe Catholic Charities still has 8 open spots. I thought tons of people wanted to do PI?
Got to pay the bills... UCH tuition bills...
Don't remind me. :|

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:15 pm

jschille wrote:Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?
Do you have a UCH ID yet? It's on the corner of golden gate & larkin and with an ID costs $8/day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm

^ Yup. I like to park at the Civic Center. Also $8 a day w/ id usually.

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:
jschille wrote:Random question... Closest parking to the school? And how much is the lot?
Do you have a UCH ID yet? It's on the corner of golden gate & larkin and with an ID costs $8/day.
Won't have ID until the 17th I think. Will they let me park in their without ID? Coming and going as well?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:26 pm

jschille wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Won't have ID until the 17th I think. Will they let me park in their without ID? Coming and going as well?
No coming & going privileges for day parkers. I am not sure if you can get the discount without an ID if you explain your situation. Maybe someone in the student services office can help if you call them or go in on Monday.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Fed pd San Jose open.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

123dd

New

Post by 123dd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:08 pm

Lasers wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you got it through lottery or preselect. My first call back was from a lottery and I was below their preferred ranking. It seems like they view most students as "qualified enough" and just want to see if you're the kind of person they'd like to work with.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 am

Quinn Emmanuel for something less selective anyone? :P

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay

New

Post by Baghdadi-by-the-Bay » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks for the advice ilovesf and DildaMan. I'm interested in any interview which might lead to an offer whether its a firm, pd, etc, with a preference for civil lit side of things. But I'm sure as the month grinds on and my sense of panic grows my standards will drop and I will be informational interviewing everyone I can.

As far as usc v uch goes: Hastings' massive class size has been a problem for employment numbers. Cutting the size of next year's class should help on this score and reverse the negative trend on usnwr rank. Of course its easy for me to call for raising the drawbridge now that I'm in. Anyways, who'd want to live in South Central LA when you can spend three years in the Tenderloin?

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:17 am

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay wrote:Thanks for the advice ilovesf and DildaMan. I'm interested in any interview which might lead to an offer whether its a firm, pd, etc, with a preference for civil lit side of things. But I'm sure as the month grinds on and my sense of panic grows my standards will drop and I will be informational interviewing everyone I can.
Cast the net far and wide, my friend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am

good luck everyone! I could not sleep AT ALL last night, so I am super tired today. and I'm at work before my interviews. uggh.

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 pm

You will kill it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi everyone! Rising 3L, summered at V-50 this year. Just wanted to wish you all good luck. You guys will do great!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”