UC Hastings OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lucield

New

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Post by lucield » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:44 am

ah, that makes sense. let the transfers continue!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:47 am

lucield wrote:ah, that makes sense. let the transfers continue!
the rankings boost will help for 2L year, but not in time for OCI. also, that's assuming that the transfers who enter don't kill it...because if they do they'll be ranked higher (seems likely, at least for some of the transfers since they won't have some of the 1L courses with harsher curves on their transcript).

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:48 am

DildaMan wrote:i think some ucla acceptances came in this week. I know of 3 people in our section that transferred so far.
yep...going to usc anyway.

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:58 am

Geez, does this thread ever go to sleep?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Just a heads up, Orrick SV has been open for a long time now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Broken on mine... can't add

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:00 pm

jschille wrote:Geez, does this thread ever go to sleep?
I'll sleep after I get an offer :P

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Snagged Lataham, a few more open...

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:16 pm

SKadden up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:17 pm

my power in my house is out, fuck. i have to try to look for them on my phone since people are dropping now. this is so inconvenient.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Bummer :(.

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Eh, wouldn't worry about it. Looks like it was probably just one or two ppl canceling before their 48 hours kicks in.

I'm guessing tomorrow morning will be big.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:28 pm

jschille wrote:Eh, wouldn't worry about it. Looks like it was probably just one or two ppl canceling before their 48 hours kicks in.

I'm guessing tomorrow morning will be big.
guess ill have something fun to do at work before my interviews

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay

New

Post by Baghdadi-by-the-Bay » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Hello all. Long time listener, first timer caller here. I just transferred into Hastings from another Bay Area school and have enjoyed this helpful thread. Someone speculated about transfers crowding out spots and I can confirm that, alas, we were mostly admitted after the mid-July bid deadline and have to pick through the dropped interviews online.

I was wondering if any one has any thoughts on what OCI strategy, if any, I could reasonably go for at this late date. I'm only top 20% from (obviously) a lower tier SF school, so is there any point in trying to pick up interviews at this point? Should I just hover over the computer and snatch whatever I can get for the heck of it? It seems clear that I have no shot at the big boys but what about some of the middling firms? Does the career office have exact data on who was hired where that can be used to figure out where to send direct mail? While I'm at it, how healthy is 3L OCI at Hastings? Sorry to dump a bunch of dumb questions onto the floor but the collective wisdom of tls is always interesting.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20 pm

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay wrote:Hello all. Long time listener, first timer caller here. I just transferred into Hastings from another Bay Area school and have enjoyed this helpful thread. Someone speculated about transfers crowding out spots and I can confirm that, alas, we were mostly admitted after the mid-July bid deadline and have to pick through the dropped interviews online.

I was wondering if any one has any thoughts on what OCI strategy, if any, I could reasonably go for at this late date. I'm only top 20% from (obviously) a lower tier SF school, so is there any point in trying to pick up interviews at this point? Should I just hover over the computer and snatch whatever I can get for the heck of it? It seems clear that I have no shot at the big boys but what about some of the middling firms? Does the career office have exact data on who was hired where that can be used to figure out where to send direct mail? While I'm at it, how healthy is 3L OCI at Hastings? Sorry to dump a bunch of dumb questions onto the floor but the collective wisdom of tls is always interesting.
Welcome to hastings! I don't know that much about how transfers fare. I think you should still be trying to get as many interviews as possible though. If anything, it's good practice and can't really hurt you. Sadly, the career office doesn't have any data about hiring rates from certain firms or anything, which is really frustrating. You can try to check out summer surveys on hastingscareersonline to see what other people have done, and you can contact them (if they list their emails) to ask questions.

They also have some lists on hastingscareersonline with mid size and small firms in the bay area. I'd go through them and start emailing firms ASAP. To my knowledge, (but 3Ls can answer this better), 3L OCI is pretty lame and only like 5-6 places signed up for it.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:26 pm

I wanted to check in with you guys. I'm a rising 2L at Hastings and had never heard of TLS forums until led I googled for OCI advice a few weeks ago.

You guys have been invaluable, thank you so much!

I'll post in the class of 2014 thread soon to better introduce myself.

In the meantime, good luck to anyone with interviews tomorrow! (I have my first one at 9am, so I'll be there bright and early!)

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Awesome, new ppl to the thread! I am also a transfer coming into Hastings. I guess I'll see you on Aug 15th at orientation.

And your best bet is just to sit and hit the refresh button as often as you can... Mornings and afternoons seem to be when most ppl will drop out of their interviews.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:54 pm

And that Orrick Herrington has been open for a while. Can it not be taken anymore?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

jschille wrote:And that Orrick Herrington has been open for a while. Can it not be taken anymore?
I dont know. I already have an interview there, but on the site the time slot says its open. Maybe it's a bug or something if no one can take it.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 pm

jschille wrote:And that Orrick Herrington has been open for a while. Can it not be taken anymore?
I don't have an interview with them, and I can't seem to pick that slot up, so I suspect that it's just going to be "open."

Maybe Saturday counts as a "business day" but not Sunday (so we're too late to pick it up)?

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:26 pm

Baghdadi-by-the-Bay wrote:Hello all. Long time listener, first timer caller here. I just transferred into Hastings from another Bay Area school and have enjoyed this helpful thread. Someone speculated about transfers crowding out spots and I can confirm that, alas, we were mostly admitted after the mid-July bid deadline and have to pick through the dropped interviews online.

Hovering has paid off for me. What type of interviews are you interested in?

There's a list of mid sized IP firms in the CSO. I've been mass mailing them.

CSO did not have any who was hired where information when I inquired.

I wouldn't bet on 3L OCI. The posting 3L's have noted the turnout is rather abysmal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:
I don't have an interview with them, and I can't seem to pick that slot up, so I suspect that it's just going to be "open."

Maybe Saturday counts as a "business day" but not Sunday (so we're too late to pick it up)?
I don't think that's it because I saw someone pick up another Tuesday interview earlier today. Maybe for some reason the interviewer wants a break then. If you don't have an interview and want one, I'd make sure to hang around the recruiting table at that time.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:34 pm

ilovesf wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

I don't think that's it because I saw someone pick up another Tuesday interview earlier today. Maybe for some reason the interviewer wants a break then. If you don't have an interview and want one, I'd make sure to hang around the recruiting table at that time.
The system is wonky. I abandoned a Kilpatrick slot for someone a few days ago. It stayed close with 1 slot available for a few hours then apparently was filled later.

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Well, I almost got all the SD firms...

Anyone have Allen Matkins Leck Gamble or Pillsbury Winthrop (late in the day)?

I'd be down to trade some SF firms...
Nixon Peabody
White & Case
Baker Botts
Last edited by jschille on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:
OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:

As of ~5 minutes ago the "cancel" button has disappeared on all of my August 7th interviews. I suspect they've just shut that date down entirely.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”