UC Hastings OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jschille

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Post by jschille » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:48 pm

I have to imagine that this happens every semester and it is obviously in the school's best interest to encourage you to miss class for a CB. Unfortunately, I don't quite have #whitegirlproblems yet and scheduled my only CB for this Friday.

I'd just e-mail the Professor and let him know you have a CB and are really sorry about not being able to make the class.

weaselology

New

Post by weaselology » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm

reasonable troll wrote:so, preface: file under #whitegirlproblems

what ARE you guys going to do about missing classes for callbacks? in some cases, its going to be the first class of the semester b/c gotsta get dem callbacks dun quick! i feel like its necessary to email the prof in order to avoid being dropped, but that seems like it might get you off on the wrong foot with some. also, i have lambert and based on the rumors i'm fairly sure he will crucify me for missing his class. :/
Email the professors. They should be fine with you missing class for OCI. If any of them give you a hard time, 1) F them and 2) report them to the Academic Dean if it's really a problem; law school exists to get us into legal jobs and professors have no right to inhibit that in any way. As for Lambert, his class policy is that if you are going to miss class, he wants you to call and leave him a voicemail that you will not be in class that day. I missed his class last year for callbacks twice and it was fine.

As an aside, regarding the rumors you hear about him, he does have strict rules. However, he is very upfront about his expectations and is not capricious, so he is fair. He is also the only professor at Hastings that knows anything about corporate law and securities, so I wouldn't write him off so quickly. He was a partner for 20+ years and clerked for Renhquist. His business associations and sec reg classes were literally the only classes that I found even remotely applicable to my SA.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I don't have that problem (I wish I did) so I can't help. I'd DEFINITELY skip class though for a CB if I had to make that choice.

Also: Latham snail mail ding. lol.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

weaselology wrote: Email the professors. They should be fine with you missing class for OCI. If any of them give you a hard time, 1) F them and 2) report them to the Academic Dean if it's really a problem; law school exists to get us into legal jobs and professors have no right to inhibit that in any way. As for Lambert, his class policy is that if you are going to miss class, he wants you to call and leave him a voicemail that you will not be in class that day. I missed his class last year for callbacks twice and it was fine.

As an aside, regarding the rumors you hear about him, he does have strict rules. However, he is very upfront about his expectations and is not capricious, so he is fair. He is also the only professor at Hastings that knows anything about corporate law and securities, so I wouldn't write him off so quickly. He was a partner for 20+ years and clerked for Renhquist. His business associations and sec reg classes were literally the only classes that I found even remotely applicable to my SA.
TYFT
i certainly haven't written him off - quite the opposite. i am appropriately intimidated.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:I don't have that problem (I wish I did) so I can't help. I'd DEFINITELY skip class though for a CB if I had to make that choice.

Also: Latham snail mail ding. lol.
shit. i knew i should've taped my mailbox shut. come to me, ENTIRE BOTTLE OF WINE.

ETA: it's more a function of the fact that i thought it would be a great idea to keep working this week than that i have callbacks pouring out of my ears.
Last edited by reasonable troll on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:08 pm

ilovesf wrote:
uch14 wrote:with 12 callbacks, i am def hoping for multiple offers
Damn. I feel so inadequate. Great job.
You only need one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any 3Ls heard from firms they interviewed with? I haven't heard a word from anyone.
Not me. My rationalization of it is that (a) firms need to finalize the offers and acceptances from their summer associate class before they know exactly how many associates they'll hire from 3L interviews, and then they'll sort and do CBs (b) some of the firms are hiring for both SF and SV offices, so it will take some time to figure out which one takes priority. Or I could be completely wrong and they just aren't interested in me, but no contact yet.

Also, two random phone calls from 415/650 area codes made me jump out of my chair at work. Neither was a firm though...
Weil and Cooley have scheduled callbacks, but I don't know about any others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any 3Ls heard from firms they interviewed with? I haven't heard a word from anyone.
Not me. My rationalization of it is that (a) firms need to finalize the offers and acceptances from their summer associate class before they know exactly how many associates they'll hire from 3L interviews, and then they'll sort and do CBs (b) some of the firms are hiring for both SF and SV offices, so it will take some time to figure out which one takes priority. Or I could be completely wrong and they just aren't interested in me, but no contact yet.

Also, two random phone calls from 415/650 area codes made me jump out of my chair at work. Neither was a firm though...
Interesting. Didn't know those firms had done 3L callbacks, only knew of 2Ls getting calls. Good to know.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:16 pm

A&p ding. Monday's 0 for 4 is complete. But they also asked me to complete a diversity form for the la office? Uh thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 pm

reasonable troll wrote:A&p ding. Monday's 0 for 4 is complete. But they also asked me to complete a diversity form for the la office? Uh thoughts?
Did you apply to the la office?

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:02 pm

jschille wrote:
reasonable troll wrote:A&p ding. Monday's 0 for 4 is complete. But they also asked me to complete a diversity form for the la office? Uh thoughts?
Did you apply to the la office?
Only in that I indicated an interest in the la office to the interviewer who dinged me. I think I'll just disregard it.

In other news, ring a ding ding from Latham in mah snail mailbox. Sweet

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Firms do this because they want to keep track of the racial and gender makeup of their applicant pool. I got one from a firm I mass mailed and never heard from aside from that form. My cynical interpretation is that they do it so if they were sued for employment discrimination, they would be able to point to the proportion of applicants that were certain races or genders to show that they hired in proportion to the pool. (see, only 3% of the pool was black, so we actually exceeded that with our 4% black SA class....)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know those firms had done 3L callbacks, only knew of 2Ls getting calls. Good to know.
When did they notify people about callbacks?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uch14

New

Post by uch14 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
uch14 wrote:except now i'm going to fail all my classes because i'll be spending the first 2 weeks of school in callbacks
DildaMan wrote:
uch14 wrote:with 12 callbacks, i am def hoping for multiple offers
^ murdered oci lol
#whitegirlproblems? :mrgreen:
Last edited by uch14 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

anyone heard anything from:

perkins coie
sullcrom
WSGR
simpson thacher
morgan lewis
hanson bridgett
donahue gallagher
wilmerhale
covington?

uch14

New

Post by uch14 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard anything from:

perkins coie
sullcrom
WSGR
simpson thacher
morgan lewis
hanson bridgett
donahue gallagher
wilmerhale
covington?
Simpson thacher cb yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone heard anything from:

perkins coie
sullcrom
WSGR
simpson thacher
morgan lewis
hanson bridgett
donahue gallagher
wilmerhale
covington?
Nothing from Morgan Lewis or Hanson Bridgett yet...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm

CB from Dickstein Shapiro.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm

jschille wrote:CB from Dickstein Shapiro.
nice.

jschille

Bronze

Post by jschille » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:57 pm

reasonable troll wrote:
jschille wrote:CB from Dickstein Shapiro.
nice.
Ya, we will see. Taking 1 person for their OC office. Doubtful =/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:09 pm

CB Morgan Lewis (SV)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

reasonable troll wrote:so, preface: file under #whitegirlproblems

what ARE you guys going to do about missing classes for callbacks? in some cases, its going to be the first class of the semester b/c gotsta get dem callbacks dun quick! i feel like its necessary to email the prof in order to avoid being dropped, but that seems like it might get you off on the wrong foot with some. also, i have lambert and based on the rumors i'm fairly sure he will crucify me for missing his class. :/
It is perfectly fine to miss class. Professors generally do not care, and if they do, they won't if you're professional about it, i.e., let him/her know you're missing class for OCI.

As for Lambert, just call him if you have his number already. If not, just send an email. I had him and had to miss 3 classes in a row and he didn't care.

reasonable troll

Bronze

Post by reasonable troll » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:01 pm

first callback tomorrow - i'd really like to turn this one into an offer.

any words of wisdom?

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:10 pm

reasonable troll wrote: first callback tomorrow - i'd really like to turn this one into an offer.
any words of wisdom?
Every interaction with anyone that works there is part of the interview. Don't let your guard down, even through lunch/dinner.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is anyone going to the OMM happy hour? do you guys know exactly how many people/who they invited?
Wasn't invited :( SF/SV?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”