UC Hastings OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
a male human

Gold

Re: UC Hastings OCI

Post by a male human » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated from Hastings with much more than just a BS in EE and had difficulty getting an SA position. Hastings doesn't attract many employers from fields like patent prosecution. Plus, the Bay Area patent scene is different than the rest of the country (smaller firms/offices). I was basically on my own.
Did you just email your resume to firms?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:39 am

Every time there is an update on this thread I think it's going to be Sf with an offer :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 am

a male human wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I graduated from Hastings with much more than just a BS in EE and had difficulty getting an SA position. Hastings doesn't attract many employers from fields like patent prosecution. Plus, the Bay Area patent scene is different than the rest of the country (smaller firms/offices). I was basically on my own.
I sent an email to every firm that had at least 5 patent prosecutors in the Bay Area, but most Bay Area practice groups/firms are rather small and had no intention of hiring patent prosecution SAs when I was going through the rounds. I think the largest patent prosecution group in the Bay Area is about 20-30 attorneys. That's tiny elsewhere in the country. Prosecution groups in the Mid West and East Coast can reach 50-100 patent prosecutors in a single office.

However, I had a lot of success outside of the Bay Area. I was able to get interviews elsewhere in the country, including places where I have no ties. I accepted an SA position at a very well-known IP firm thousands of miles away from the Bay Area. They gave me an offer and Bay Area people were interested in talking to me with my SA firm on my resume! I eventually accepted an offer at a Bay Area firm which didn't even give me an interview during my 2L OCI. They were one of the firms I was most interested in during my 2L year.

My experience isn't unique. I know of several other EEs from Hastings who have graduated over the last few years who had a lot of difficulty breaking into the Bay Area patent prosecution field.

My advice is to apply outside of the Bay Area!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:52 am

kapital98 wrote:Every time there is an update on this thread I think it's going to be Sf with an offer :|
lol i wish. never gonna happen bro. i did meet someone tonight at a memorial service though that told me she was good friends with kamala harris, so i'm gonna e-mail her my resume.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
a male human wrote:
I sent an email to every firm that had at least 5 patent prosecutors in the Bay Area, but most Bay Area practice groups/firms are rather small and had no intention of hiring patent prosecution SAs when I was going through the rounds. I think the largest patent prosecution group in the Bay Area is about 20-30 attorneys. That's tiny elsewhere in the country. Prosecution groups in the Mid West and East Coast can reach 50-100 patent prosecutors in a single office.

However, I had a lot of success outside of the Bay Area. I was able to get interviews elsewhere in the country, including places where I have no ties. I accepted an SA position at a very well-known IP firm thousands of miles away from the Bay Area. They gave me an offer and Bay Area people were interested in talking to me with my SA firm on my resume! I eventually accepted an offer at a Bay Area firm which didn't even give me an interview during my 2L OCI. They were one of the firms I was most interested in during my 2L year.

My experience isn't unique. I know of several other EEs from Hastings who have graduated over the last few years who had a lot of difficulty breaking into the Bay Area patent prosecution field.

My advice is to apply outside of the Bay Area!
Oh that's pretty neat! But I have a BS bioeng with a law gpa under 3...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:53 am

Most of the patent prosecution firms I've interviewed with are only hiring 1-2 summer associates. A few have mentioned they're moving more towards patent agents because they're cheaper :?.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:58 pm

I just got an email ding from wsgr - I didn't even apply there. Lol.

MalachiConstant

New

Post by MalachiConstant » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Skadden CB ding.

Looks like I am probably not doing big law.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:14 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:Skadden CB ding.

Looks like I am probably not doing big law.
Sorry :( I'm in the same boat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:31 pm

anyone know of the status of Sedgwick offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Has anyone heard back from Keesal, Young & Logan post-CB?

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know of the status of Sedgwick offers?
I know that there was at least one Sedgwick offer in the last week or so (might have been late last week, I don't recall) for SF, but I also haven't heard of any CB rejections yet, so they might be waiting to hear back before making any more offers/decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from Keesal, Young & Logan post-CB?
Not sure if it means anything but a friend who got an offer with them last year got it a day or two after his/her CB.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:50 pm

I had a CB with them last year and did not get it. My friend who did received word a few days later, but my letter took 3 weeks. Of all the firms I interviewed with, they had the slowest timeline.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm

It's been 4 weeks since my last CB & no word. I guess it's time for a follow-up e-mail. I hope they don't respond within 5 minutes with a rejection like last time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

after two weeks and not hearing something, i sent an email inquiring as to the progress of my application and reiterated my interest. they replied 4sh days later saying they hoped to have an update for me this week. literally the longest 3-4 days of my life. <sigh>

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:31 pm

^ Same. I've only been dinged from 1 CB, and dead silence from the others.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 pm

DildaMan wrote:^ Same. I've only been dinged from 1 CB, and dead silence from the others.
Not that bad of a place, especially since you got more CB's recently. Good luck :)

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:
DildaMan wrote:^ Same. I've only been dinged from 1 CB, and dead silence from the others.
Not that bad of a place, especially since you got more CB's recently. Good luck :)
Thank you, good luck to you too! Hopefully some will convert to offers, otherwise I'll crush myself under the stack of source collects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:after two weeks and not hearing something, i sent an email inquiring as to the progress of my application and reiterated my interest. they replied 4sh days later saying they hoped to have an update for me this week. literally the longest 3-4 days of my life. <sigh>
Which firm are you referencing? Was this last year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

Anyone hear from Keesal, Young & Logan post-CB?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Keesal, Young & Logan post-CB?
Bump.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.
I'm guessing all the silence means no.
I'm still waiting for my firm, 5 weeks post cb. Uggh.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:14 pm

:(

Got an offer in SV for the summer. Still 9 CB's silent. Did second round offers start yet?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump.
I'm guessing all the silence means no.
I'm still waiting for my firm, 5 weeks post cb. Uggh.
That sucks.

It's been 3 weeks for me. I want to give them a call but the recruiter specifically told me it was early in their callback schedule. He told me the hardest part of the process is for the hiring committee to come together and discuss the candidates. ARGH!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”