Engineering options?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Engineering options?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 am

I took engineering and comp sci classes in undergrad, enjoyed them and did well. I ended up switching to government/poli sci with the aim of going to law school. I'm now a rising 3L.

I really want to go complete a degree in computer science. I have the basic requirements squared away (physics, calc, java, etc) with only the technical upper level classes remaining. I don't mean to make it seem so simple- I realize that adds up to roughly 2 years worth of credits.

I don't have a specific aim (i.e. patent law) :oops: . I just feel like a have unfinished business, and really enjoyed and excelled at computer science. I still have fond memories of my first comp sci class in high school 8) So my question is, how is the best way to do this? My main concern is cost.

Upon graduation, I assume I will be working with the federal government in financial sector regulation or, at least some other role in the federal government, as all my experience up to this point is public service related (plus some banking work prior to law school). Perhaps certain agencies will cover the education expense of a second bachelor's degree. Does anyone have experience with this?

Re: Engineering options?

Postby turbotong » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

I think time may be a greater problem than cost.
If you're working a 40 hour week, you can probably manage 1-2 classes per semester.

damno vitando

Postby damno vitando » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:06 am

Oregon State has a one year 2nd degree BS in CS. I think it is online.

Postby yuzu » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:44 pm

If you don't need the CS credential, teach yourself. You can get the coursework online (e.g. Stanford on iTunes + course web sites), and you'll get the feedback you need from tweaking your software projects until they work like you want. Software is one field where you can do quite well without a formal degree.

I ended up switching to government/poli sci with the aim of going to law school.

I'm curious why one would do this. Do law schools somehow favor poli sci students in the admissions process? Or is it easier to get a higher GPA in poli sci? Is there a big advantage to having a network of classmates who are also applying to law school?

Return to “Legal Employment”