What's so great about Law Review? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's so great about Law Review?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 am

I'm actually serious. Do employers want to see that you work on a journal, or just when you're applying for clerkships? If you're not interested in biglaw, does being on a journal even matter?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 am

For one thing, it teaches you how to read:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603
The anonymous post feature is meant for serious, legal employment-related questions that could reveal something about the poster to future employers. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them to future employers. The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.

And it also teaches you how to do research:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178470

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 am

I've heard that MoFo litigators talk about their glory days cite-checking when absolutely crushing the San-Francisco bar scene.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 am

The answer, like every other bullshit thing in law school, is signaling. Getting on law review means, to a casual observer, you are the cream of the crop. Just like people will hire someone from Harvard over someone from BU because someone else previously thought the Harvard kid was better, someone will hire a BU Law Review kid over someone without it because they have been deemed better than their peers. As far as I can tell that's all there is to it.

You learn shit that is helpful to law practice (bluebooking, attention to detail, etc.) but you can learn that just as well on a secondary journal.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:06 am

Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

Anyone who says otherwise has let their bias get the best of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:33 am

buckilaw wrote:I've heard that MoFo litigators talk about their glory days cite-checking when absolutely crushing the San-Francisco bar scene.
Shit. I just mass mailed them and I didn't include anything bro-ey. Autoding

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:24 am

thesealocust wrote:Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

In terms of experience, it doesn't teach you terribly much, but I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time compared to anything else you could be doing in law school. It's a slightly different style of editing, but you still edit. When you draft memos and briefs and the like later on, the editing goes much faster.

For employment and other purposes though, it's pretty important. Everyone knows law review exists and how you get onto it, so if you aren't on it, there will be a natural question of "why not?" If your answer is something like "I did two clinics, two moot court competitions, and was an extern at the DA's office for 2L and 3L" that's probably cool, if your answer is just "it's a waste of time and I didn't feel like doing it," you'll have some problems.
Last edited by lolwat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 am

thesealocust wrote:Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

While this definitely seems true from talking to 2Ls, there are tons of firms in my schools market (BU/BC) that pretty much demand law review for an SA.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 am

Law review sucks but if you are at a lower ranked school it can be the difference between getting a job and not

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:54 am

kalvano wrote:For one thing, it teaches you how to read:

The anonymous post feature is meant for serious, legal employment-related questions that could reveal something about the poster to future employers. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them to future employers. The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 am

People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

Thesealocust is right. Journals are a huge waste of time. It's secretarial work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 am

RPK34 wrote:

While this definitely seems true from talking to 2Ls, there are tons of firms in my schools market (BU/BC) that pretty much demand law review for an SA.
Then there are the 1L SA positions that are offered without as much as the first grade in, much less LR.

damno vitando

New

Post by damno vitando » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am

It is a line on your resume. If you are up for a job against someone who has the resume line you are less likely to get the job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 am

Although law review involves a lot of menial work such as cite-checking, it offers the opportunity to work with an editor & get published. Unfortunately, the more valuable experience occurs during one's third year of law school when serving as an editor. Editing sharpens the writing skills of both the writer & the editor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 am

If you're at a top school, then it really only matters at a handful of firms. A good number of judges take it into consideration, though, and it is a huge benefit if you're on the editorial board. If you're at a lower-ranked school, then it could be a necessary condition for biglaw.

You also get the benefit of not enjoying your 2L or 3L year.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 am

LR's only really a time-consuming commitment if you're EIC. Though, of course, I can't speak for every LR out there.

No reason why you can't enjoy 2L/3L unless you're also doing moot court/clinic and taking every substantive/difficult class those years.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

Thesealocust is right. Journals are a huge waste of time. It's secretarial work.
This is my weekly reminder to you that, at least in this particular area, me>you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:30 am

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

This is my weekly reminder to you that, at least in this particular area, me>you.
No joke, I should have done trial team.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

No joke, I should have done trial team.
People tend to love you. You would do fine at trial, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am

OP here. Anonymous because I'm pretty much outed, and because I expected douchey/judgmental responses. Looks like it was a good call.

Thank you for your assistance. The answers in that thread range from LR being a waste of time to LR being absolutely necessary to any kind of career. I had specific questions that were not adequately addressed in that thread. Perhaps you could try answering them instead of pointing me to a thread that doesn't.

Also note:
Do NOT post in the thread itself about whether or not something violates the anon abuse policy; this is considered thread derailment and may get you banned as well.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Anonymous because I'm pretty much outed, and because I expected douchey/judgmental responses. Looks like it was a good call.

Thank you for your assistance. The answers in that thread range from LR being a waste of time to LR being absolutely necessary to any kind of career. I had specific questions that were not adequately addressed in that thread. Perhaps you could try answering them instead of pointing me to a thread that doesn't.
It's just one more tie breaker. If you have a bunch of good candidates with similar grades from the same or similar schools but you don't have enough offers, when it's finally time to wittle the candidate list down, the LR person will get an offer before the non-LR person.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Well, this thread was dumb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”