What's so great about Law Review?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What's so great about Law Review?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 am

I'm actually serious. Do employers want to see that you work on a journal, or just when you're applying for clerkships? If you're not interested in biglaw, does being on a journal even matter?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 am

For one thing, it teaches you how to read:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603

The anonymous post feature is meant for serious, legal employment-related questions that could reveal something about the poster to future employers. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them to future employers. The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.



And it also teaches you how to do research:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178470

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 am

I've heard that MoFo litigators talk about their glory days cite-checking when absolutely crushing the San-Francisco bar scene.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 am

The answer, like every other bullshit thing in law school, is signaling. Getting on law review means, to a casual observer, you are the cream of the crop. Just like people will hire someone from Harvard over someone from BU because someone else previously thought the Harvard kid was better, someone will hire a BU Law Review kid over someone without it because they have been deemed better than their peers. As far as I can tell that's all there is to it.

You learn shit that is helpful to law practice (bluebooking, attention to detail, etc.) but you can learn that just as well on a secondary journal.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:06 am

Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

Anyone who says otherwise has let their bias get the best of them.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby shock259 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:33 am

buckilaw wrote:I've heard that MoFo litigators talk about their glory days cite-checking when absolutely crushing the San-Francisco bar scene.


Shit. I just mass mailed them and I didn't include anything bro-ey. Autoding

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:24 am

thesealocust wrote:Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

Anyone who says otherwise has let their bias get the best of them.


In terms of experience, it doesn't teach you terribly much, but I wouldn't say it's a total waste of time compared to anything else you could be doing in law school. It's a slightly different style of editing, but you still edit. When you draft memos and briefs and the like later on, the editing goes much faster.

For employment and other purposes though, it's pretty important. Everyone knows law review exists and how you get onto it, so if you aren't on it, there will be a natural question of "why not?" If your answer is something like "I did two clinics, two moot court competitions, and was an extern at the DA's office for 2L and 3L" that's probably cool, if your answer is just "it's a waste of time and I didn't feel like doing it," you'll have some problems.
Last edited by lolwat on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby RPK34 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 am

thesealocust wrote:Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

Anyone who says otherwise has let their bias get the best of them.


While this definitely seems true from talking to 2Ls, there are tons of firms in my schools market (BU/BC) that pretty much demand law review for an SA.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby Ludo! » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 am

Law review sucks but if you are at a lower ranked school it can be the difference between getting a job and not

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby TTH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:54 am

kalvano wrote:For one thing, it teaches you how to read:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603

The anonymous post feature is meant for serious, legal employment-related questions that could reveal something about the poster to future employers. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them to future employers. The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.



And it also teaches you how to do research:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178470


180

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:55 am

People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

Thesealocust is right. Journals are a huge waste of time. It's secretarial work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:59 am

RPK34 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Nothing. It's terrible and a waste of time. It teaches you nothing.

Anyone who says otherwise has let their bias get the best of them.


While this definitely seems true from talking to 2Ls, there are tons of firms in my schools market (BU/BC) that pretty much demand law review for an SA.

Then there are the 1L SA positions that are offered without as much as the first grade in, much less LR.

damno vitando
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby damno vitando » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am

It is a line on your resume. If you are up for a job against someone who has the resume line you are less likely to get the job.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 am

Although law review involves a lot of menial work such as cite-checking, it offers the opportunity to work with an editor & get published. Unfortunately, the more valuable experience occurs during one's third year of law school when serving as an editor. Editing sharpens the writing skills of both the writer & the editor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 am

If you're at a top school, then it really only matters at a handful of firms. A good number of judges take it into consideration, though, and it is a huge benefit if you're on the editorial board. If you're at a lower-ranked school, then it could be a necessary condition for biglaw.

You also get the benefit of not enjoying your 2L or 3L year.

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby lolwat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:26 am

LR's only really a time-consuming commitment if you're EIC. Though, of course, I can't speak for every LR out there.

No reason why you can't enjoy 2L/3L unless you're also doing moot court/clinic and taking every substantive/difficult class those years.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 am

Desert Fox wrote:People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

Thesealocust is right. Journals are a huge waste of time. It's secretarial work.


This is my weekly reminder to you that, at least in this particular area, me>you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:30 am

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

Thesealocust is right. Journals are a huge waste of time. It's secretarial work.


This is my weekly reminder to you that, at least in this particular area, me>you.


No joke, I should have done trial team.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People who write on don't seem to pwn the job market, I assume that Law Review isn't as important as the grades that get you onto Law Review are important.

Thesealocust is right. Journals are a huge waste of time. It's secretarial work.


This is my weekly reminder to you that, at least in this particular area, me>you.


No joke, I should have done trial team.


People tend to love you. You would do fine at trial, I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am

OP here. Anonymous because I'm pretty much outed, and because I expected douchey/judgmental responses. Looks like it was a good call.

kalvano wrote:For one thing, it teaches you how to read:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603

The anonymous post feature is meant for serious, legal employment-related questions that could reveal something about the poster to future employers. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them to future employers. The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.



And it also teaches you how to do research:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178470


Thank you for your assistance. The answers in that thread range from LR being a waste of time to LR being absolutely necessary to any kind of career. I had specific questions that were not adequately addressed in that thread. Perhaps you could try answering them instead of pointing me to a thread that doesn't.

Also note:

Do NOT post in the thread itself about whether or not something violates the anon abuse policy; this is considered thread derailment and may get you banned as well.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby glitter178 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Anonymous because I'm pretty much outed, and because I expected douchey/judgmental responses. Looks like it was a good call.

kalvano wrote:For one thing, it teaches you how to read:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170603

The anonymous post feature is meant for serious, legal employment-related questions that could reveal something about the poster to future employers. This can include information about grades, where a person has interviewed/received job offers, and other information that might identify them to future employers. The anonymous feature is not meant to be used as a shield for voicing unpopular opinions, demeaning others, sock puppetry, or otherwise being a jerk.



And it also teaches you how to do research:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=178470


Thank you for your assistance. The answers in that thread range from LR being a waste of time to LR being absolutely necessary to any kind of career. I had specific questions that were not adequately addressed in that thread. Perhaps you could try answering them instead of pointing me to a thread that doesn't.


It's just one more tie breaker. If you have a bunch of good candidates with similar grades from the same or similar schools but you don't have enough offers, when it's finally time to wittle the candidate list down, the LR person will get an offer before the non-LR person.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: What's so great about Law Review?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Well, this thread was dumb.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.