NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:14 am

sadsituationJD wrote:McCarter is a complete dump- ever been to their "office" in the Newark Center? Its downright embarrassing. This firm is a complete joke, they have for years teetered on the edge of going under. They got saved a few years back when some partner there was apparently blowing an Astra-Zeneca exec who tossed them the doc review portion of the Seroquel pharma litigation. So McCarter got to hire (as low paid temps) hordes of losers from SH and RN for a few months and bill the shit out of the gig. Naturally the substantive portion of the litigation was handled by a real NYC biglaw firm- no CEO worth his salt would give anything important or substantive to a laughingstock toilet operation like McCarter.

Lowenstein is a nasty sweatshop, and if you aren't Jewish they aren't going to hire you. Stay away from this place, it has a terrible reputation.

The other "firms" mentioned are probably doing mostly lateral hiring right now. They don't need (and can't afford) no-nothing losers from toilets like SH and RN who bring nothing to the table. For these shops you need portable business or substantive skills, and 3 Ls offer neither.

I doubt in this market if even "top of the classers" from R-N or Seton Hall are going to garner interest from the NJ shops. There are top 25% kids from real schools (Top 14) resume-bombing these places, so why would they bother with an SH or RN grad (after all, being top of the class at these schools is a bit like winning the Special Olympics: even after you get the gold medal, you're still a retard lol.


Worked at one of the bigger/more reputable firms in NJ this summer. 3 of the 4 2Ls were from RU - the other not a T14. You sir, are an idiot. Go troll another thread.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:16 am

I've been applying to NJ firms over the last 4 weeks or so and really haven't heard from almost all of them. Is it still early?

Stats: Median at Lower T14 with significant ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been applying to NJ firms over the last 4 weeks or so and really haven't heard from almost all of them. Is it still early?

Stats: Median at Lower T14 with significant ties.


Most Jersey firms are pretty slow. Give it a few weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am

I bet that troll up there is areyouinsane or his BFF.

Anyway, yeah I haven't heard much either yet. Wonder how many people resume bomb them though, hopefully ties play a huge role in weeding people out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 am

Anybody heard anything?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard anything?


Had screeners this week at a job fair with Lowenstein, Bressler, LeClairRyan and Riker. They are just gearing up now so you probably should start to hear soon.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:06 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:McCarter is a complete dump- ever been to their "office" in the Newark Center? Its downright embarrassing. This firm is a complete joke, they have for years teetered on the edge of going under. They got saved a few years back when some partner there was apparently blowing an Astra-Zeneca exec who tossed them the doc review portion of the Seroquel pharma litigation. So McCarter got to hire (as low paid temps) hordes of losers from SH and RN for a few months and bill the shit out of the gig. Naturally the substantive portion of the litigation was handled by a real NYC biglaw firm- no CEO worth his salt would give anything important or substantive to a laughingstock toilet operation like McCarter.

Lowenstein is a nasty sweatshop, and if you aren't Jewish they aren't going to hire you. Stay away from this place, it has a terrible reputation.

The other "firms" mentioned are probably doing mostly lateral hiring right now. They don't need (and can't afford) no-nothing losers from toilets like SH and RN who bring nothing to the table. For these shops you need portable business or substantive skills, and 3 Ls offer neither.

I doubt in this market if even "top of the classers" from R-N or Seton Hall are going to garner interest from the NJ shops. There are top 25% kids from real schools (Top 14) resume-bombing these places, so why would they bother with an SH or RN grad (after all, being top of the class at these schools is a bit like winning the Special Olympics: even after you get the gold medal, you're still a retard lol.

Tell that to the Greek Othodox kid I know who's starting there this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:07 pm

LeClairRyan is recruiting for Newark? All I saw was that their summer program is in VA.

mighttransfer
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby mighttransfer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Wilentz Goldman & Spitzer is a quality firm. Not sure if they have a summer program, though.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:00 pm

mighttransfer wrote:Wilentz Goldman & Spitzer is a quality firm. Not sure if they have a summer program, though.


It's definitely a quality firm, but they don't have a summer program.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LeClairRyan is recruiting for Newark? All I saw was that their summer program is in VA.


The Newark office takes between 1-2 summers each year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LeClairRyan is recruiting for Newark? All I saw was that their summer program is in VA.


The Newark office takes between 1-2 summers each year.


Who do you send the direct mail to? Or do you fill out their form online (i don't know if the Newark satellite office would have its own contact)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Anybody mass mail McElroy? I can't find an email anywhere for recruiting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Anyone hear anything yet? Had screeners with a few of them. Now the waiting games begin.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:48 pm

At a T10. Had a screener and got a callback this week with Lowenstein.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a T10. Had a screener and got a callback this week with Lowenstein.


Same here How does the CB process work? Does going to a cb asap increase the odds of getting an offer? Is it like rolling decisions so that those who do their CB's later on have less of a chance at getting an offer? Anyone know?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 am

Anybody get an interview with lowenstein through mass mail. Emailed them twice and no response.

Also, anyone hear of any Prosk Newark callbacks. I did an in office screener a while ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:33 am

HeavenWood wrote:
sadsituationJD wrote:McCarter is a complete dump- ever been to their "office" in the Newark Center? Its downright embarrassing. This firm is a complete joke, they have for years teetered on the edge of going under. They got saved a few years back when some partner there was apparently blowing an Astra-Zeneca exec who tossed them the doc review portion of the Seroquel pharma litigation. So McCarter got to hire (as low paid temps) hordes of losers from SH and RN for a few months and bill the shit out of the gig. Naturally the substantive portion of the litigation was handled by a real NYC biglaw firm- no CEO worth his salt would give anything important or substantive to a laughingstock toilet operation like McCarter.

Lowenstein is a nasty sweatshop, and if you aren't Jewish they aren't going to hire you. Stay away from this place, it has a terrible reputation.

The other "firms" mentioned are probably doing mostly lateral hiring right now. They don't need (and can't afford) no-nothing losers from toilets like SH and RN who bring nothing to the table. For these shops you need portable business or substantive skills, and 3 Ls offer neither.

I doubt in this market if even "top of the classers" from R-N or Seton Hall are going to garner interest from the NJ shops. There are top 25% kids from real schools (Top 14) resume-bombing these places, so why would they bother with an SH or RN grad (after all, being top of the class at these schools is a bit like winning the Special Olympics: even after you get the gold medal, you're still a retard lol.

Tell that to the Greek Othodox kid I know who's starting there this year.

Yeah, this is just pathetic (and anti-Semitic). This year's summer class was very diverse and I believe we all got offers. Religion never comes up. I can't speak to how they treat their contract attorneys (pretty sure that's the extent of sadsituation's knowledge) but in the actual firm it's well-run and morale is high. Hours can be close to NYC (although not actually all the way there, from my observation of my friends at NYC firms) but it's as un-sweatshoppy as biglaw gets.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody get an interview with lowenstein through mass mail. Emailed them twice and no response.

Also, anyone hear of any Prosk Newark callbacks. I did an in office screener a while ago.


I screened and CB'd with them last year. They can take a long time to get back to you on the screener because they like to do CBs as a super day on the weekend.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 pm

I had the displeasure of interviewing with Lowenstein. The younger screener was visibly embarrassed by the remarks uttered by the boomer screener. I am not sure I would accept a CB from this firm (which I will likely not have to worry about). My friend, who only has one callback, just received a callback from Lowenstein and she is in tears about it. Anyone else here have this kind of interviewing experience with Lowenstein?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had the displeasure of interviewing with Lowenstein. The younger screener was visibly embarrassed by the remarks uttered by the boomer screener. I am not sure I would accept a CB from this firm (which I will likely not have to worry about). My friend, who only has one callback, just received a callback from Lowenstein and she is in tears about it. Anyone else here have this kind of interviewing experience with Lowenstein?


I had a CB with them last year and they weren't that bad. Some of the people were kind of weird, but they were far from embarrassing. Your friend should be lucky to have a CB with any firm since she only has one CB at OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I had a CB at Lowenstein's NY office that I got from a mass-mailing, and got a snail mail ding a few days ago. Place seemed fine to me. Really nice people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB at Lowenstein's NY office that I got from a mass-mailing, and got a snail mail ding a few days ago. Place seemed fine to me. Really nice people.

The bad Lowenstein screener experience was due to the one boomer. The other screener was fine. Will pass along your words of praise to my friend. All’s well, that ends well, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Any movement on the NJ front?

Did a call back with Bressler. Great firm, really liked the vibe I got there. Definitely at the top of my list for NJ firms for a number of reasons. Everyone was very down to earth and seemed to like each other. They do, however, dress is business attire Mon-Thur, and Fridays are casual. I don't really mind, but I thought most firms did business casual most of the time. They said offers will begin the second half of September. So now the waiting continues.

Call back with Day Pitney scheduled a week from now. They contact you by mail. Because I don't check mine on a regular basis, the letter requesting a callback was sitting there for a few days. Seems like several NJ firms communicate by snail mail, FYI.

Silence from the rest of the NJ Firms. Can't wait for this process to be over. Checking my phone, email, etc every 5 min is already becoming exhausting. lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NJ Firms: 2012 Edition

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Did you interview with these firms through OCI?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.