Want to end my internship early. Thoughts/Advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thrillerjesus

Want to end my internship early. Thoughts/Advice?

Postby thrillerjesus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 pm

I'm doing an unpaid summer internship with a small criminal defense shop. I sought this out because my intention is to go solo right out of school, I wanted to see how to run an office, and I wanted to appear in court. For context, I'll be a 3L next year, I'm slightly older than the median law student, and I go to a T14.

It's been a great experience so far. I've learned a lot, I've appeared in court a lot, I've met a lot of people. I've pretty much got exactly what I wanted out of it. I've got 3 weeks left.

So here's the dilemma: I've been offered an interesting job in a neighboring state, just for the next 3 weeks, paying several thousand dollars. I really want to take it, and I really could use the cash. I'm definitely not screwing anybody over if I end the internship early, and I'm not trying to get a job, or even really a recommendation out of the internship. But it's still kind of awkward. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Lawquacious

Re: Want to end my internship early. Thoughts/Advice?

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:I'm doing an unpaid summer internship with a small criminal defense shop. I sought this out because my intention is to go solo right out of school, I wanted to see how to run an office, and I wanted to appear in court. For context, I'll be a 3L next year, I'm slightly older than the median law student, and I go to a T14.

It's been a great experience so far. I've learned a lot, I've appeared in court a lot, I've met a lot of people. I've pretty much got exactly what I wanted out of it. I've got 3 weeks left.

So here's the dilemma: I've been offered an interesting job in a neighboring state, just for the next 3 weeks, paying several thousand dollars. I really want to take it, and I really could use the cash. I'm definitely not screwing anybody over if I end the internship early, and I'm not trying to get a job, or even really a recommendation out of the internship. But it's still kind of awkward. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Hmmm. I think it depends on the people you are working for and whether they are depending on you are not. Since you're not getting paid they may not have much in the way of expectations for you and may just see it as a shadow thing, in which case they may not mind at all. On the other hand, some places really utilize interns who are unpaid, and if it is in any way going to be a burden on them related to unanticipated work-flow change I would probably stick it out. But I think you could just explain the situation to whoever your 'boss' is, as long as you don't already have the sense it is going to be a problem for them. If you think it's going to upset them, then maybe do it anyway if you need the money, but it could be a bit risky if you want to work in the same location after school.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Thank them for the experience and leave. If they press you about why you are leaving tell em you miscalculated your finances and you need a bit of extra cash.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 pm

It's one thing to work for free for a judge or something... but a firm? I don't know the exact nature of your relationship with this particular, but generally speaking, private firms that hire unpaid interns need to be told to shove it.

At any rate, you don't owe them anything. Take the money. Just tell them you have another opportunity. Mention the pay rate -- they may try to keep you.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Hmmm. I think it depends on the people you are working for and whether they are depending on you are not. Since you're not getting paid they may not have much in the way of expectations for you and may just see it as a shadow thing, in which case they may not mind at all. On the other hand, some places really utilize interns who are unpaid, and if it is in any way going to be a burden on them related to unanticipated work-flow change I would probably stick it out. But I think you could just explain the situation to whoever your 'boss' is, as long as you don't already have the sense it is going to be a problem for them. If you think it's going to upset them, then maybe do it anyway if you need the money, but it could be a bit risky if you want to work in the same location after school.

I prefer this answer the best so far. Sure, you don't owe them anything, but why burn bridges if you don't have to.

Return to “Legal Employment”