when a firm is not specifically hiring for specific position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

when a firm is not specifically hiring for specific position

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:51 pm

I will begin a clerkship in a month.
I understand that some firms accept resumes for 'general' positions and will consider your materials even when you are not applying for specific positions listed on their websites.

what's the deal? is there a lesser chance of getting a position that is not advertised at all? (because if a firm is actively looking, it will have placed an ad; if it is not actively looking or does not have specific openings, then why would it have resources on new attorneys?)

PS I have just sent out a resume to a firm that has the above policy.

Anonymous User

Re: when a firm is not specifically hiring for specific position

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will begin a clerkship in a month.
I understand that some firms accept resumes for 'general' positions and will consider your materials even when you are not applying for specific positions listed on their websites.

what's the deal? is there a lesser chance of getting a position that is not advertised at all? (because if a firm is actively looking, it will have placed an ad; if it is not actively looking or does not have specific openings, then why would it have resources on new attorneys?)

PS I have just sent out a resume to a firm that has the above policy.
If law firms pretend like they are accepting resumes, it contributes the fiction that their businesses are thriving. HTH.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 pm

My sense (and I could be wrong) is that these firms basically just hire from SA classes and clerkship applications. Meaning, in other words, that they don't need to actively recruit laterals for specific positions. I know there's plenty of top firms that basically just have "if you're interested, send your application to ____" on their website, no open positions or anything. MTO, W&C, etc.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:32 am

It means that if you are a rockstar, they will give you an interview and make room for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”