What is TLS opinion on DLA Piper ITE? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sambeber

Bronze

Re: What is TLS opinion on DLA Piper ITE?

Post by sambeber » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
sambeber wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If you get an interview of job with DLA, enjoy it.
Come again?
Enjoy DLA Piper.
This exchange drew a hearty laugh. Thank you.
Glad to help.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:ITE, enjoy DLA piper should be a compliment not an insult.
Obviously. That's why I said it was a boom-time thing when basically everyone got biglaw.

It still amuses me as a meme, though :). Same with QUINN REMAINS and KIRKLAND SHATTERS and the bro'd out mofo litigators slaying dimes in SF :lol:. (I'm also easily amused).

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:09 am

keg411 wrote:
Obviously. That's why I said it was a boom-time thing when basically everyone got biglaw.

It still amuses me as a meme, though :). Same with QUINN REMAINS and KIRKLAND SHATTERS and the bro'd out mofo litigators slaying dimes in SF :lol:. (I'm also easily amused).
MARKET SHATTERING BROWNIES

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:10 am

keg411 wrote:

See also, "A rapist among us - Quinn Emanuel"

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:14 am

RVP11 wrote:They're better in some cities than others. They get more flack from law students than they deserve.
This. Their business model is different than a lot of firms. They don't really do the high stakes, big newspaper cases and deals, but they focus more on volume of less complex work. The whole Enjoy dla piper thing is pretty silly. They do pay under market, but if you're going to work in some random low cost city, its not bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 am

Blindmelon wrote:
RVP11 wrote:They're better in some cities than others. They get more flack from law students than they deserve.
This. Their business model is different than a lot of firms. They don't really do the high stakes, big newspaper cases and deals, but they focus more on volume of less complex work. The whole Enjoy DLA Piper thing is pretty silly. They do pay under market, but if you're going to work in some random low cost city, its not bad.
The McDonalds of biglaw, but biglaw nonetheless.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am

Not sure where this leverage stuff is coming from. In the Baltimore office (the closest thing to a home base), for example, there are 58 partners and 36 associates listed on NALP. Firmwide, the summer classes are small, and they don't bring in a ton of new associates. In that sense, it's great for training and mentorship, and it doesn't feel at all like a law factory.

And Blindmelon, their "business model" doesn't involve a preference for volume over complexity; no idea where you're getting that. DLA's not going to have the established name recognition of a Cravath in New York or a Covington in D.C., but the Baltimore office tends to be a hub for the firm's best lawyers to do huge cases and deals, largely in NYC, Washington, and Chicago. It's legit stuff for huge companies and organizations (anyone remember MLB's Mitchell Report a few years ago?), and even as a low-level person, I've gotten to work on nine-figure transactions and complex, high-stakes litigation. Check Chambers and you'll see a bunch of highly rated lawyers and practice groups, particularly in Maryland.

Obviously I'm biased, having spent some time there. Like any massive firm, it has its shortcomings, and yes, some of the TLS/XO ribbing is appropriate, but hey, I'll take and enjoy the lifestyle-friendly market-paying gig in a great city working for fantastic lawyers any day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
This. Their business model is different than a lot of firms. They don't really do the high stakes, big newspaper cases and deals, but they focus more on volume of less complex work. The whole Enjoy DLA Piper thing is pretty silly. They do pay under market, but if you're going to work in some random low cost city, its not bad.
The McDonalds of biglaw, but biglaw nonetheless.
But everyone loves a Big Mac??

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure where this leverage stuff is coming from. In the Baltimore office (the closest thing to a home base), for example, there are 58 partners and 36 associates listed on NALP. Firmwide, the summer classes are small, and they don't bring in a ton of new associates. In that sense, it's great for training and mentorship, and it doesn't feel at all like a law factory.

And Blindmelon, their "business model" doesn't involve a preference for volume over complexity; no idea where you're getting that. DLA's not going to have the established name recognition of a Cravath in New York or a Covington in D.C., but the Baltimore office tends to be a hub for the firm's best lawyers to do huge cases and deals, largely in NYC, Washington, and Chicago. It's legit stuff for huge companies and organizations (anyone remember MLB's Mitchell Report a few years ago?), and even as a low-level person, I've gotten to work on nine-figure transactions and complex, high-stakes litigation. Check Chambers and you'll see a bunch of highly rated lawyers and practice groups, particularly in Maryland.

Obviously I'm biased, having spent some time there. Like any massive firm, it has its shortcomings, and yes, some of the TLS/XO ribbing is appropriate, but hey, I'll take and enjoy the lifestyle-friendly market-paying gig in a great city working for fantastic lawyers any day.
As someone above alluded to, some of the offices are pretty good. Some are just blahh. I wouldn't work at DLA Tampa over any of the native Tampa firms, for example, even though DLA has an international presence or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:54 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not sure where this leverage stuff is coming from. In the Baltimore office (the closest thing to a home base), for example, there are 58 partners and 36 associates listed on NALP. Firmwide, the summer classes are small, and they don't bring in a ton of new associates. In that sense, it's great for training and mentorship, and it doesn't feel at all like a law factory.

As someone above alluded to, some of the offices are pretty good. Some are just blahh. I wouldn't work at DLA Tampa over any of the native Tampa firms, for example, even though DLA has an international presence or whatever.
I agree. This is what separates dla piper from a similar firm like K&L Gates. K&L Gates has Seattle and Pittsburgh, and good North Carolina offices. DLA is overshadowed by local firms in basically every market it's in.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I didn't mean to imply that they don't do good work, or that the work is easy. Its just that its not like a Quinn that will do some of the biggest IP Lit cases. Every firm has a different business model - its not a bad thing. Some firms stay small and do one thing really, really well (W&C) or focus on a few big practices (Cov) and some just do everything but aren't exactly top of the field in anything specific. Different strokes, different firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”