BIG LAW: 2L SA Position or BUST? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
androstan

Gold

Re: BIG LAW: 2L SA Position or BUST?

Post by androstan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
DrakeTempt wrote:Yea, Dinged at Fordham. I wish I had a choice, but my WIFE who will make 200K-250K immediately after she finishes her residency with an earning potential of 1MM if she opens two practices, practically owns me at this stage of our careers. Cardozo is very close to NYU.

Furthermore, their IP program is solid, something I am interested in.

Lastly, I like being around Jews. I think Cardozo will crack the 30-40 rankings in the near future.
What do you mean "practically own you"---she does! Don't stress just work some city/state government job for low hours and let her pull in the big bucks. This is 2012; forget that old fashioned "man is the bread winner" stuff. :lol:
Be thankful you have a well-off spouse. It makes things easier on you. You can take lower paying, less stressful work. You could even open a solo practice and be your own boss, although if you have kids that'll probably go away in favor of employment as a nanny.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

TLSwag wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What about a 2L SA that did not receive a permanent offer from SA position?
then "yes" would actually be TCR to the question of jumping off a bridge
No offer in a class with a respectable offer rate -> D. Ct. -> BigLaw at a different firm here. Not sure if I'm a rare one in a million exception, but it can happen

nyuwithbadgrades

New

Post by nyuwithbadgrades » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:06 pm

do you know why you got no-offered?

DrakeTempt

New

Post by DrakeTempt » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 pm

I went into law school with the intention to at least make mid-law. I don't care what my spouse makes, I need a solid career.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Having a spouse that will make $250k+ a year sounds rough, man.

You should definitely divorce her.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:48 am

Bust.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 am

DrakeTempt wrote:I went into law school with the intention to at least make mid-law. I don't care what my spouse makes, I need a solid career.
Try being more thankful. And maybe you should have retaken the LSAT and gone to a school with better placement if you were mid/biglaw or bust. Potentially harsh time to mention this, but important lesson for 0Ls--doing well at a lower ranked school still might not be good enough.

All that said, best of luck during OCI and start mass mailing like crazy right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

DrakeTempt wrote:And the best ways to get these damn 2L SA positions are through OCI, Mass Mail, Job Fairs, Personal Contacts?

I have 7 interviews lined up in August solely through OCI. What is the typical number of interviews for those who actually did secure 2L SA?
7 is actually not a lot. I did 27 OCI screeners, 6 callbacks, and got 1 offer. Good luck.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DrakeTempt wrote:And the best ways to get these damn 2L SA positions are through OCI, Mass Mail, Job Fairs, Personal Contacts?

I have 7 interviews lined up in August solely through OCI. What is the typical number of interviews for those who actually did secure 2L SA?
7 is actually not a lot. I did 27 OCI screeners, 6 callbacks, and got 1 offer. Good luck.
Like a boss.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”