contacting firms you didn't get screeners with

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

contacting firms you didn't get screeners with

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi all,

Either I overestimated my chances of finding a job or I messed up my bidding, but in any case I'm top 5% at a T35 and only ended up with 13 screeners through OCI bidding. I've heard of contacting firms you didn't get screeners with through bidding to see if they might still be willing to give you a screener, and I had some questions about this process.

1. Is it worth it to contact firms that almost certainly got your materials via the lottery (e.g. #5 bid) but didn't give you a screener?
2. If the original bidding process only involved resumes, should the contact just include sending your resume and a note saying how you were wishing to interview with them but apparently weren't able to obtain a screener, or should it include a proper cover letter, writing sample, etc.?
3. Do you suggest an interview time or something? How do you address the scheduling issue without bombarding them with information regarding when you have interviews or without having access to their interview schedule.

Thank you!

Arbiter213

Re: contacting firms you didn't get screeners with

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

Either I overestimated my chances of finding a job or I messed up my bidding, but in any case I'm top 5% at a T35 and only ended up with 13 screeners through OCI bidding. I've heard of contacting firms you didn't get screeners with through bidding to see if they might still be willing to give you a screener, and I had some questions about this process.

1. Is it worth it to contact firms that almost certainly got your materials via the lottery (e.g. #5 bid) but didn't give you a screener?
2. If the original bidding process only involved resumes, should the contact just include sending your resume and a note saying how you were wishing to interview with them but apparently weren't able to obtain a screener, or should it include a proper cover letter, writing sample, etc.?
3. Do you suggest an interview time or something? How do you address the scheduling issue without bombarding them with information regarding when you have interviews or without having access to their interview schedule.

Thank you!

Is your school pre-select or lottery? That makes a huge difference.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 pm

100% Lotto. Thanks.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Are you sure your school is 100% lotto? I didn't realize any T35 schools did this.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:25 pm

I can't speak to results, but the way I've approached this is to keep it simple. I bid your firm. I really wanted to interview with you, but did not get an interview. I will be in XXXX city from the Yth to the Zth and would love a chance to interview with your firm. Here is my resume for your consideration.

Maybe make it more cover lettery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Huluba wrote:Are you sure your school is 100% lotto? I didn't realize any T35 schools did this.

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified I'm a transfer student.

Huluba

Postby Huluba » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:29 pm

If its all lotto. I think you should contact any firm you bid on and did not get an interview with. Send your resume with a brief email explaining that you bid but did not get an interview.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:41 pm

13 is on the lower side, but it's not an unusually low number of interviews.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:42 pm

If your school does 100% lottery, I don't see how it could hurt to contact all the firms you'd be interested in working at, but didn't get an interview for. That's what I plan on doing.

edit: also, first you should see if there's a way for you to pick up extra screeners through symplicity before interviews start (there are probably at least a few open slots left that you can fit into your schedule).

Return to “Legal Employment”