Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm 8/48 no offers at BB Houston. They had a particular issue where they seem to have made a political choice in their offers after a conflict arose between two summers. A lot of people are worried about the firm's financial strength (particularly in litigation, where they only gave out 12 practice group offers among the 30 who listed it as first choice) and transparency. Many of us will be accepting elsewhere.


In Dallas, the firm gave out 11/12. For many of the same reasons listed above, it seems like half will be accepting offers at other firms. BB Dallas seemed different this year. I felt as though the firm was giving us the cold shoulder all summer long. The firm also cut back on a lot of the informal / ad-hoc events that really seemed to go a long way last summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm 8/48 no offers at BB Houston. They had a particular issue where they seem to have made a political choice in their offers after a conflict arose between two summers. A lot of people are worried about the firm's financial strength (particularly in litigation, where they only gave out 12 practice group offers among the 30 who listed it as first choice) and transparency. Many of us will be accepting elsewhere.


In Dallas, the firm gave out 11/12. For many of the same reasons listed above, it seems like half will be accepting offers at other firms. BB Dallas seemed different this year. I felt as though the firm was giving us the cold shoulder all summer long. The firm also cut back on a lot of the informal / ad-hoc events that really seemed to go a long way last summer.


I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Andy Baker as the new managing partner. I've heard that he's always been brutally business-first since he was a partner in Dallas. I was pretty satisfied with Baker weekend and the social events in Houston, but the sheer number of BS no-offers ("lack of self-confidence"??) to people who didn't split is extremely concerning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can confirm 8/48 no offers at BB Houston. They had a particular issue where they seem to have made a political choice in their offers after a conflict arose between two summers. A lot of people are worried about the firm's financial strength (particularly in litigation, where they only gave out 12 practice group offers among the 30 who listed it as first choice) and transparency. Many of us will be accepting elsewhere.


In Dallas, the firm gave out 11/12. For many of the same reasons listed above, it seems like half will be accepting offers at other firms. BB Dallas seemed different this year. I felt as though the firm was giving us the cold shoulder all summer long. The firm also cut back on a lot of the informal / ad-hoc events that really seemed to go a long way last summer.


I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Andy Baker as the new managing partner. I've heard that he's always been brutally business-first since he was a partner in Dallas. I was pretty satisfied with Baker weekend and the social events in Houston, but the sheer number of BS no-offers ("lack of self-confidence"??) to people who didn't split is extremely concerning.


From the sources I have it seems like its 7/48 no offers, but close enough. I have heard a lot of worry about financial strength but only from litigation. It seems like the firm is focusing on transactional work and from that side, it didn't seem like there was much worry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:42 am

HayBoo Dallas's offer rate was substantially higher this summer. I don't have exact numbers but I'm very confident they are 90%+.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

AK Houston had 100% offer rate

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote: the sheer number of BS no-offers ("lack of self-confidence"??) to people who didn't split is extremely concerning.

Wait, the no offered people because they didn't split????

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: the sheer number of BS no-offers ("lack of self-confidence"??) to people who didn't split is extremely concerning.

Wait, the no offered people because they didn't split????


No, the no-offers had nothing to do with no splitting. I think that the poster is saying that its BS that they no offered people for BS reasons (such as "lack of self-confidence") who didn't split with other firms.

Then again, perhaps have a preference for no-offering folks who didn't split was an easy way to cut their numbers down even further (i.e., those are split may likely head elsewhere). I'm curious to see how big this class ends up being.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:20 pm

VE Dallas was 100% (13 2Ls, 3 1Ls). At least half have already accepted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VE Dallas was 100% (13 2Ls, 3 1Ls). At least half have already accepted.


VE DC was 100% as well. (8 2Ls and 1 1L). I don't know of anyone not accepting unless they are clerking.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:42 pm

DLA Baltimore, 100%. Four of four have accepted.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:41 am

Any word on Skadden NY offer rate?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Akin Gump NY


Was the offer rate for Akin Gump NY 100%?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Anyone know Jones Day (DC) offer rate?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Bump for some recent data:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but news about offer rates from this past summer are starting to trickle out (NALP forms are a year behind, at this point): Offer rates for 21 firms. Obviously it's still a limited data set, and there's always the cold offer question of how accurate these are. But better than nothing, I guess.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Bump for some recent data:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but news about offer rates from this past summer are starting to trickle out (NALP forms are a year behind, at this point): Offer rates for 21 firms. Obviously it's still a limited data set, and there's always the cold offer question of how accurate these are. But better than nothing, I guess.


Know for a fact that one of the "topping 90%" firms cold offered and pretty sure at least one of the 90%+ ones did as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Jones Day (DC) offer rate?


None of us SAs seem to have any official word but everyone I've talked to (and everyone they've talked to) has gotten offers--this includes the two or three people who self-identified as potentially borderline.

At the beginning of the summer, the hiring partner made it clear that there were offers for all of us if we earned them.

I'll post back if I hear of anyone not getting an offer.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Bump for some recent data:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but news about offer rates from this past summer are starting to trickle out (NALP forms are a year behind, at this point): Offer rates for 21 firms. Obviously it's still a limited data set, and there's always the cold offer question of how accurate these are. But better than nothing, I guess.


Know for a fact that one of the "topping 90%" firms cold offered and pretty sure at least one of the 90%+ ones did as well.

Yeah, I seem to recall a (very credible) poster on TLS mentioning one of the firms with a good rate here had cold offered. Again, nothing's perfect, just trying to add any data we have.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby 071816 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer from DLA Piper Baltimore. Love the firm and am truly excited to get back next year. No word on whether all of us got offers, but I'd be shocked if anyone got left out.

Enjoy DLA Piper

Anonymous User
Posts: 273081
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Post-SA Offer Status Announcement Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:18 pm

My firm gave 100 percent offers, but hasn't sent the SAs actual offer letters yet. I decided to go to another firm post-graduation (they were picked up via 3L OCI; I didn't split the summer). Is this something that I should let my summer firm know about, or should I wait until I get a hard copy of an offer letter?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.