Jones Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Has anyone applied to the firm if they did not come through your school's OCI? Do they prefer OCI students or will interview all students? Are ties to a praticular region required?

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 pm

I interviewed with them outside of OCI, since my school is lottery and my bid for them didn't work out. I would imagine they would also be willing to consider students from schools they don't normally visit, assuming you have top grades and an impressive resume. Ties to a region are always valuable (and that goes for any firm), but its not as if its a prerequisite. Selectivity depends on the office. A huge number of the DC summers went to Harvard, nearly all NY summers went to T10 schools, etc. but some of the regional offices in places like Texas or California are a bit more willing to consider students from other schools outside of the traditional OCI channels.

P.S. Currently a summer with JD, and its an excellent place to work

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with them outside of OCI, since my school is lottery and my bid for them didn't work out. I would imagine they would also be willing to consider students from schools they don't normally visit, assuming you have top grades and an impressive resume. Ties to a region are always valuable (and that goes for any firm), but its not as if its a prerequisite. Selectivity depends on the office. A huge number of the DC summers went to Harvard, nearly all NY summers went to T10 schools, etc. but some of the regional offices in places like Texas or California are a bit more willing to consider students from other schools outside of the traditional OCI channels.

P.S. Currently a summer with JD, and its an excellent place to work

I attend a Tier three/ four school and top 10 percent. Still waiting on journal results. Any thoughts on whether I would receive a screener?

Did you mass mail every office?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:56 pm

I was only interested in one region, so I just applied to one office, and worked every contact I could to get an interview set up. Again, my school has JD visit, and I just missed out during the lottery. Its very different if its a school they don't normally recruit from, since it will take some persistence. Try and get in touch with people at the firm who went to your school, and make contacts any way you can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was only interested in one region, so I just applied to one office, and worked every contact I could to get an interview set up. Again, my school has JD visit, and I just missed out during the lottery. Its very different if its a school they don't normally recruit from, since it will take some persistence. Try and get in touch with people at the firm who went to your school, and make contacts any way you can.

Thanks.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:08 am

fwiw, Jones Day is not at my school's OCI. I e-mailed them in my home market (not NY/DC) about two weeks ago and have not heard anything. I'm top 2% at a T1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 am

LeDique wrote:fwiw, Jones Day is not at my school's OCI. I e-mailed them in my home market (not NY/DC) about two weeks ago and have not heard anything. I'm top 2% at a T1.

I applied through their website. Did you do the same, or actually send an email.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LeDique wrote:fwiw, Jones Day is not at my school's OCI. I e-mailed them in my home market (not NY/DC) about two weeks ago and have not heard anything. I'm top 2% at a T1.

I applied through their website. Did you do the same, or actually send an email.

I actually sent an e-mail.

ETA: I didn't even notice that small "Apply Now" link before. So that might be why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:48 am

LeDique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Who do you send these emails to when you mass mail? Any alumni partner? Or some recruiting director?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
LeDique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Who do you send these emails to when you mass mail? Any alumni partner? Or some recruiting director?

Most firms' sites have the recruiting director's email with their name/info, or at least a recruiting email.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 am

Have a hard time believing that a T3/T4 person @ 10% is going to get a screener from Jones Day. But doesn't hurt to cast a wide net, I suppose. Just keep casting.

Return to “Legal Employment”