Help with firms to mass mail: Median at T30 Midwest Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help with firms to mass mail: Median at T30 Midwest

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to brainstorm a list of firms that I have a realistic shot at for a 2L summer associateship for next summer in the Midwest, preferably Chicago. There wasn't a lot of selection for OCI, so I want to do my own campaign. I have a 3.25 (below the top third cutoff, no other cutoff given but likely just above median), secondary journal, and moot court at a T30 regional state school in the Midwest. I worked for a small law firm this summer (6 attorneys) and didn't really do anything stand-out, just typical 1L law firm stuff.

I only have a short list so far, so if anyone knows of ones that aren't worth mailing, or ones I should add, please let me know!

*Baker & McKenzie - Chicago
*Jenner & Block - Chicago
*Kirkland & Ellis - Chicago
*Mayer Brown - Chicago
*Winston & Strawn - Chicago
*Dorsey & Whitney - Minneapolis
*Whitfield & Eddy - Des Moines
*Bradshaw, Fowler, Proctor & Fairgrave - Des Moines

Ludo!

Gold

Re: Help with firms to mass mail: Median at T30 Midwest

Post by Ludo! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Go ahead and mail but if you're looking for firms you have a realistic shot at you're gonna have to aim a lot lower. Median at a midwestern T30 isn't getting Kirkland dude.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Go ahead and mail but if you're looking for firms you have a realistic shot at you're gonna have to aim a lot lower. Median at a midwestern T30 isn't getting Kirkland dude.
This. Also, unless you have something special on your resume, I don't think Jenner & Block or Mayer Brown should be on that list either.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm

target wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Go ahead and mail but if you're looking for firms you have a realistic shot at you're gonna have to aim a lot lower. Median at a midwestern T30 isn't getting Kirkland dude.
This. Also, unless you have something special on your resume, I don't think Jenner & Block or Mayer Brown should be on that list either.
Yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the other firms were realistic either. Kirkland was just the most out there. I don't know anything about the Des Moines firms but the others are all out of reach

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Interested in this as well. I'm in the same position as OP, but have LR as opposed to secondary journal. Concentrating on Chicago and Minneapolis with Milwaukee thrown in possibly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
target wrote:
Yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the other firms were realistic either. Kirkland was just the most out there. I don't know anything about the Des Moines firms but the others are all out of reach

So - do you have any advice at where to shoot for then? I don't know anything about the Chicago market, and have never lived in a city bigger than 500k people.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

I'm trying to brainstorm a list of firms that I have a realistic shot at for a 2L summer associateship for next summer in the Midwest, preferably Chicago. There wasn't a lot of selection for OCI, so I want to do my own campaign. I have a 3.25 (below the top third cutoff, no other cutoff given but likely just above median), secondary journal, and moot court at a T30 regional state school in the Midwest. I worked for a small law firm this summer (6 attorneys) and didn't really do anything stand-out, just typical 1L law firm stuff.

I only have a short list so far, so if anyone knows of ones that aren't worth mailing, or ones I should add, please let me know!

*Baker & McKenzie - Chicago
*Jenner & Block - Chicago
*Kirkland & Ellis - Chicago
*Mayer Brown - Chicago
*Winston & Strawn - Chicago
*Dorsey & Whitney - Minneapolis
*Whitfield & Eddy - Des Moines
*Bradshaw, Fowler, Proctor & Fairgrave - Des Moines
A) most of these firms will be well out of your reach. B) Where exactly are you from in the Midwest? Chicago usually wants some plausible ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Unfortunately, with your stats, you are about 99% not going to land a summer associate position in any biglaw firm in the country. Firms in the T30 range place between 5 to 20 percent of their students in biglaw. Median isn't going to cut it. Of course, you can just mass mail still, but I'd be concentrating on local government positions or random small firms.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:52 pm

You need to be looking at midsize to small firms in Chicago. Ask your OCS if they have a thing called the Chicago 4 or more list. Most of the schools around here have it but for some reason they all seem to be password protected (I tried googling it for you). This is a list of all the firms in Chicago that have four or more attorneys. Apply to every single one of those. And pray.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:54 pm

letsdoit wrote:A) most of these firms will be well out of your reach. B) Where exactly are you from in the Midwest? Chicago usually wants some plausible ties.
Also, it's different if you go to say UIUC vs. wisonsin (are they still T30?) or iowa. If UIUC, you may a bigger, though still slim to none, chance of getting a chicago job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 pm

letsdoit wrote:
A) most of these firms will be well out of your reach. B) Where exactly are you from in the Midwest? Chicago usually wants some plausible ties.
I guess I'm not shooting for biglaw, I just would like to be in Chicago if at all possible - my gf is going to school there for PHD and then stay there after most likely.

I'm not from Chicago, my mom's whole side of the family lives in a small town near Chicago.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
letsdoit wrote:
I guess I'm not shooting for biglaw, I just would like to be in Chicago if at all possible - my gf is going to school there for PHD and then stay there after most likely.

I'm not from Chicago, my mom's whole side of the family lives in a small town near Chicago.
Sounds valid. Definitely aim for more medium-sized firms. Resume launchpad should be helpful here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 pm

letsdoit wrote:
Sounds valid. Definitely aim for more medium-sized firms. Resume launchpad should be helpful here.

Has anyone used that site? I checked it out, but am very nervous that potential employers will be able to tell and ding me because of it. I don't want to resumelaunchpad every viable firm in Chicago and realize that I sealed myself out of the market completely.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:55 pm

I just use it for research aka to find the firms name. I send out an email from my own account.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:59 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I just use it for research aka to find the firms name. I send out an email from my own account.
TITCR.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:03 pm

letsdoit wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:I just use it for research aka to find the firms name. I send out an email from my own account.
TITCR.

Ditto. Using it right now and there are firms on there that are not on NALP or Martindale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 pm

When mass mailing out, who did you address the physical envelope to? Should we put "Summer Associate Program" or should we send it to a partner?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When mass mailing out, who did you address the physical envelope to? Should we put "Summer Associate Program" or should we send it to a partner?
Email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Email a partner? If there is no recruiting director or mention of careers/summer associate program on their website? This is for medium to smaller sized firms obviously

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately, with your stats, you are about 99% not going to land a summer associate position in any biglaw firm in the country. Firms in the T30 range place between 5 to 20 percent of their students in biglaw. Median isn't going to cut it. Of course, you can just mass mail still, but I'd be concentrating on local government positions or random small firms.

More like 5-10%, if in T14 it will go lower.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 am

Terrible necro

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unfortunately, with your stats, you are about 99% not going to land a summer associate position in any biglaw firm in the country. Firms in the T30 range place between 5 to 20 percent of their students in biglaw. Median isn't going to cut it. Of course, you can just mass mail still, but I'd be concentrating on local government positions or random small firms.

Wrong. Look up BC/BU

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wrong. Look up BC/BU
Thank God this is anonymous. And either way, median isn't cutting it at BU/BC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm

Well, the ABA report for 2011 says 44 out of 210 at firms of 500+ so I guess I stand corrected. Surprising in some respects. Might be partly due to geography, alumni or perception. I see WUSTL for example, placed only 31 at 500+ attorney firms.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

During the boom BC/BU were averaging like 30% in big law. The last few years, as you point out, are not close at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”