Is this a smart bidding strategy for DCNG?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is this a smart bidding strategy for DCNG?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

I'm interested in LA (strong ties) and NY. My bidding strategy was to bid the top 10-15 LA offices that I wanted, as I would prefer to end up there, and then bid the NY V10-15, and then put the rest of the LA offices. I would rather have NY V10 over a random small LA office, but ceteris paribus, LA > NY. Does this make sense to do?

rad lulz

Re: Is this a smart bidding strategy for DCNG?

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am

You basically didn't give enough info for people to help you, but in general, just bidding firms in the order which you would rather work for them is dumb.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in LA (strong ties) and NY. My bidding strategy was to bid the top 10-15 LA offices that I wanted, as I would prefer to end up there, and then bid the NY V10-15, and then put the rest of the LA offices. I would rather have NY V10 over a random small LA office, but ceteris paribus, LA > NY. Does this make sense to do?

This isn't that smart. I'm assuming you are either D or N, since the other two schools have already submitted their lists. Do you have the grades/interviewing skills/resume for NY V10-15? LA firms probably aren't going to be super popular at either school (maybe more popular at N than D) so I would probably do NYC top 5, then 5 of your favorite LA firms, then mix NY/LA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

OP here. I'm at N, top 15%-20%, no LR, HYPSM undergrad. I have gotten the sense that I'll be competitive for the bottom half of the V10 (NY), but I'm considerably more uncertain about LA.

So the right strategy is to (1) put my favorite V10 NY firms, (2) favorite top LA firms, and then mix down the line?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:You basically didn't give enough info for people to help you, but in general, just bidding firms in the order which you would rather work for them is dumb.

This. Gotta make sure you get some safeties.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm at N, top 15%-20%, no LR, HYPSM undergrad. I have gotten the sense that I'll be competitive for the bottom half of the V10 (NY), but I'm considerably more uncertain about LA.

So the right strategy is to (1) put my favorite V10 NY firms, (2) favorite top LA firms, and then mix down the line?

Look bro. Bidding is all about game theory. No use wasting high bids on certain firms just because you like them, when you can get them lower. On the other end, if there is a firm that may not be your favorite but that you'd still like to interview with, and that firm is heavily bid, you'd want to put that higher. Keeping thae principles in mind, go back to the drawing board.

Also you haven't actually told us what you're interested in. Bidding the NYC V10 may not actually be the right choice for you. C'mon bro.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I'm at N, top 15%-20%, no LR, HYPSM undergrad. I have gotten the sense that I'll be competitive for the bottom half of the V10 (NY), but I'm considerably more uncertain about LA.

Look bro. Bidding is all about game theory. No use wasting high bids on certain firms just because you like them, when you can get them lower. On the other end, if there is a firm that may not be your favorite but that you'd still like to interview with, and that firm is heavily bid, you'd want to put that higher. Keeping thae principles in mind, go back to the drawing board.

Also you haven't actually told us what you're interested in. Bidding the NYC V10 may not actually be the right choice for you. C'mon bro.

BUT PREFTIGE

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm

I would bid NYC to be safe since those are going to be more popular at your school and LA later because less of your grads are probably going to bid there.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Kronk wrote:I would bid NYC to be safe since those are going to be more popular at your school and LA later because less of your grads are probably going to bid there.

It's not that simple, because a lot of NYC firms have huge classes and correspondingly offer tons of interview slots. Skadden had a bid success rate of 51% at my school.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Kronk wrote:I would bid NYC to be safe since those are going to be more popular at your school and LA later because less of your grads are probably going to bid there.

It's not that simple, because a lot of NYC firms have huge classes and correspondingly offer tons of interview slots. Skadden had a bid success rate of 51% at my school.

Yeah, I guess I just mean that bidding his first 10 in LA is a big mistake if he doesn't want to get nothing. At Berkeley, some places offered 20 interview slots, some offered 40 (or something like that, corresponded to either having 1 room or 2 or 2 days or 1). The big NYC classes were 40, let's say, and the smaller LA classes 20. So it comes down to whether you think that there is twice the demand for NYC that there would be for LA on whether you get the screener if you bid it at the same spot on your list (obviously more variables than that).

I am just assuming that in Chicago, there is going to be a MUCH higher demand for NYC than LA. Thus if he bids 10 LA firms and THEN starts on NYC firms, he might not get a single NYC interview because of the increased demand, whereas if there is maybe 1/8th the demand for LA, he could get those firms a lot further down on his list.

I mean it's all relative. I bid NYC VERY late (14-16) and didn't get any of them, and I figured most at our school woudl be bidding LA/SF. I think I was wrong, and that's a California school.

But yes, OP, look at how many total interview slots there are per firm and adjust accordingly.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Kronk wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Yeah, I guess I just mean that bidding his first 10 in LA is a big mistake if he doesn't want to get nothing. At Berkeley, some places offered 20 interview slots, some offered 40 (or something like that, corresponded to either having 1 room or 2 or 2 days or 1). The big NYC classes were 40, let's say, and the smaller LA classes 20. So it comes down to whether you think that there is twice the demand for NYC that there would be for LA on whether you get the screener if you bid it at the same spot on your list (obviously more variables than that).

I am just assuming that in Chicago, there is going to be a MUCH higher demand for NYC than LA. Thus if he bids 10 LA firms and THEN starts on NYC firms, he might not get a single NYC interview because of the increased demand, whereas if there is maybe 1/8th the demand for LA, he could get those firms a lot further down on his list.

I mean it's all relative. I bid NYC VERY late (14-16) and didn't get any of them, and I figured most at our school woudl be bidding LA/SF. I think I was wrong, and that's a California school.

But yes, OP, look at how many total interview slots there are per firm and adjust accordingly.

You also have to consider that firms with low bid rates are sometimes shoved on a lot of peoples' lists toward the bottom. But that's more of a guessing game and involves balancing risk and reward.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm

rad lulz wrote: Bidding is all about game theory.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 pm

You are only going to get about 15 interviews by bidding. AFter bid number 15, you aren't going to get an LA firm and after 20 you won't get a non v10 NYC firm.

I'd pick 13 firms, a mixture of LA and moderately selective NYC firms and bid them 1-13:

1: Latham LA
2: Gibson LA
3: Ke NYC
4-12 - Mixture of LA and medicore NYC.
13: Paul Weiss
14: Weil
15: Skadden
16: Clearly
17: STB
18: DPW
19: Irell
20: sulcrom
21: Cravath

If you want to play it safe, bump Clearly through Cravath down, and add more mediocre NYC firms at 16+. But mediocre NYC firms go high in bidding.

I don't have access to the numbers of slots at each firm. But gernally, the more slots and more selective, the higher you can bid it. I got DPW bidding it 30 year last.
Last edited by 09042014 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bazinga!

Postby bazinga! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:42 pm

why would you just bid V10 firms in NY? top 20% at N may or may not have a very good shot at the full V10 considering the top 20% of HYSCCNMVP + LR are also interested in those spots. Not to be discouraging, only to suggest having more NYC safeties. Don't waste the great opportunity NYC offers in having so many available SA slots because you are blinded by prestige. if you feel all 10 of those firms would be the BEST FIT for you, then ... well still be careful. To echo what's already been said, in bidding it's more important to rank based on how hard it is to get an interview. Ranking based on preference exclusively may lead to a small number of interviews, and it's always nice to have options. this is all IMHO so take it for what it's worth.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:50 pm

bazinga! wrote:why would you just bid V10 firms in NY? top 20% at N may or may not have a very good shot at the full V10 considering the top 20% of HYSCCNMVP + LR are also interested in those spots. Not to be discouraging, only to suggest having more NYC safeties. Don't waste the great opportunity NYC offers in having so many available SA slots because you are blinded by prestige. if you feel all 10 of those firms would be the BEST FIT for you, then ... well still be careful. To echo what's already been said, in bidding it's more important to rank based on how hard it is to get an interview. Ranking based on preference exclusively may lead to a small number of interviews, and it's always nice to have options. this is all IMHO so take it for what it's worth.

+1

OP: you're in a position where you can really afford to discriminate between your interview choices. Depending on your career goals and preferred practice group, the best firms for you may mostly be top, Vault-ranked ones, but if you're into a more niche specialty, the rankings start to matter a lot less.

Take undergraduate schools. If you want to study chemical engineering, you'd be better off at a mid-tier state school like U Delaware than an Ivy like Penn. Penn may be the overall better school, but for what you want to study, it's rather mediocre. On the other hand, if you decide chemical engineering isn't for you and switch out of the science field entirely, while you certainly wouldn't get a bad education at U Del, you'd be missing some of the better opportunities Penn could provide. Picking the right firm involves very similar considerations.

Return to “Legal Employment”