SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:52 am

I am about to start at a top 50 school in California w/ some ties (undergrad + related contacts), but grew up and have strong connectons in a very different market back east.

I want to end up in [California market] permanently (and not in [home city]) for various reasons, but due to meh status of the school and uncertainty about what my grades will be, I've kept in close contact with lawyers/firms back home with the intent on applying for 1L SA positions there. The ultimate goal, of course, is 2L SA postion + at least possibility of an offer in [target market].

I am much more likely to get one of these jobs in [home city] than a comparable one in the competitive market where my school is. So my question is- if I was to be an SA at a firm with a presence in the South/East after 1L, what bearing would that have on 2L SA hiring in California? Hinder because it would appear that I was scheming to go back east? Hinder because it would look like I couldn't get a postion in [target market] so I had to rely on hustling w/ prior connections? Help because I would have the SA recs/experience even if it was in the "wrong" market (and likely be in lieu of an unpaid position, research assistant job, etc in [target market])? Not make any difference at all because it was after 1L?


I know it's a bit soon to be worrying about this, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around it now because the firms I'm referring to have due dates right after Thanksgiving and I know that will come really quickly after the school year gets hectic.

Edited to change: I am a 0L until the middle of August and was creepily working on my CV during my lunch hour and wondering about this. I understand you're not supposed to post in this forum as a 0L but the question will still be relevant when I am a 1L shortly. I don't mind deleting the question and posting it again then or whatever
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:51 am


Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm really not trying to be a dick and I understand the basis behind that policy, but I didn't post it in that forum because you can't post anonymously there and it is related to jobs/revealing info. Should I wait and post it again here in 3 weeks when I'm no longer a 0L?...

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm really not trying to be a dick and I understand the basis behind that policy, but I didn't post it in that forum because you can't post anonymously there and it is related to jobs/revealing info. Should I wait and post it again here in 3 weeks when I'm no longer a 0L?...


No, wait until you have finished first semester of 1L, applied to every option you are even remotely considering, and you actually have this choice to make by way of actual offers. This question isn't relevant at all until you actually have 1L summer job offers. You would be stupid to only pursue one or the other (unless your 1L first semester grades preclude paid SA gigs, and even then you should still apply).

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby RPK34 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:17 pm

If the school is in the top 50 in California (I'm assuming Hastings or Pepperdine), I wouldn't spend too much time stressing about 1L SAs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 pm

RPK34 wrote:If the school is in the top 50 in California (I'm assuming Hastings or Pepperdine), I wouldn't spend too much time stressing about 1L SAs.


(This is OP) That is the whole point of my question- I know that I have a pretty much 0% chance of getting a 1L SA through any means other than these connections I have at home. However, since I will likely have opportunities in [home state], is it is better to capitalize on those or not pursue any non-California ventures at all to establish more ties in CA? If the answer is the latter, I guess I will start the descent into monotony provided by my school lol

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RPK34 wrote:If the school is in the top 50 in California (I'm assuming Hastings or Pepperdine), I wouldn't spend too much time stressing about 1L SAs.


(This is OP) That is the whole point of my question- I know that I have a pretty much 0% chance of getting a 1L SA through any means other than these connections I have at home. However, since I will likely have opportunities in [home state], is it is better to capitalize on those or not pursue any non-California ventures at all to establish more ties in CA? If the answer is the latter, I guess I will start the descent into monotony provided by my school lol

Did you even read the announcement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:03 pm

rad lulz wrote:Did you even read the announcement?


I did, and wrote a disclaimer regarding it. You are welcome to report/ban/ask someone to delete this thread if you like.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: SA position in non-target market vs. unpaid in target market

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Did you even read the announcement?


I did, and wrote a disclaimer regarding it. You are welcome to report/ban/ask someone to delete this thread if you like.

I'll just give you the answer you're looking for:

Your question is stupid. Pursue both opportunities. If you happen to get both, then you can make a decision. Also you have no idea what unpaid position in California you may even get. As such, your thread is stupid.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.