No "ties" to cities due growing up in the middle of nowhere

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No "ties" to cities due growing up in the middle of nowhere

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 am

So, I'm at a school ranked 15-30 on the East Coast, top 10%, secondary journal, 2+ years WE. Now I keep hearing the importance of ties to a city and while I like the region my school is located, I have no ties to the city or really to any city larger than like 75K people. I grew up in a small Appalachian town and went to college in the same area, but I'm open to working in any city from Atlanta to Boston and willing to relocate for an offer. For my OCI cover letters I've been simply saying something "I love the area and am fully committed to relocating" but is there any real hope? I can't exactly work in my hometown since there are absolutely no firms there with more than like 5 attorneys.

Any help?

shock259

Re: No "ties" to cities due growing up in the middle of nowhere

Postby shock259 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

Mail New York.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:39 am

When it comes up in interviews just stress that you grew up in a small Appalachian town and you have no desire to go back. The importance of ties is that firms don't want to invest in someone who they are afraid could decide they don't like the city the firm is in and leave all of a sudden. As long as you are ready for the question and have come up with compelling reasons for why you want to be in that firm's city, you can overcome not having ties. NY is probably the easiest city to break into, but really any city is conceivably possible if you can convince the interviewer that that's where you want to be

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 am

Agree with L.V.'s advice in the post above. Nevertheless, there are some firms in some cities that are a bit stubborn about hiring those without ties. The largest cities are probably the most accepting of applicants without ties. Birmingham, Alabama, for example, may be tougher than Atlanta while Atlanta is a tougher market to crack than LA, DC, Chicago which are tougher than NYC.

aces

Postby aces » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 am

Generally, NYC and D.C. are the most acceptant of applicants without ties due to the size of the market and the nature of the work that those firms do (i.e. regulatory work in D.C., finance work in NY).

Also, if your school is located in a major market, it's Obviously easy to apply to firms in that market and talk about how much you've enjoyed living there, how vibrant the city is, etc.

Finally, firms in certain cities might work with clients from a particular sector or specialize in a particular subfield (ex: Boston firms often do a lot of work with healthcare/tech companies), and you can play up your desire to work with those clients or practice in that field.

Return to “Legal Employment”