"Externing" as verb in cover letter? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
choochoo

Bronze

"Externing" as verb in cover letter?

Post by choochoo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:22 pm

Looking for some quick help wording a cover letter.

I'm thinking about saying "While clerking at [firm] and externing at [court], I . . ." -- can externing be used as a verb like this in a cover letter or is it not formal enough?

I could just say "While clerking at [firm] and [court]," but I don't want to give the false impression that my externship was a post-grad clerkship. I don't think the employer would really be confused because my cover letter clearly indicates I'm a student, but I don't want to sound like I don't know the difference.

3LOLCI.

Thanks.

Verity

Silver

Re: "Externing" as verb in cover letter?

Post by Verity » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 pm

"Externing" should be fine (you hear "interning" all the time), nobody will be that obsessive. But you could also say "While serving as a clerk at [firm] and as an extern at [court]..."

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”