Timing for applying to firms as a judicial clerk?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Timing for applying to firms as a judicial clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Hey all,

I'm at a D.Ct. right now, will be there for another year, and was wondering when (judge permitting) I should start sending applications to firms for a fall 2013 start date. Is there a set time when firms accept applications from current judicial clerks, something analogous to the OCI hiring cycle, perhaps?

Not sure if anyone out there on the board has experience with this, but thought it would be worth a try. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Timing for applying to firms as a judicial clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Email the firms you're interested in if they don't mention it on their website.

Most of them appear to take applications sometime in winter/spring, so somewhere around Dec 2012 to Mar 2013.
One takes applications as soon as judge permits you to approach firms to interview.
One takes applications now. Got dinged already. :P
One said ideally 2-3 months before clerkship ends.

Some apparently only take applications for essentially lateral positions that are posted open on their website btw. (Most look at clerk applications regardless of specific openings.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 am

For DC/NYC firms, I applied around November of 2011 for a fall 2012 start date. For firms that weren't making decisions that early they let me know and either invited to me to interview with the caveat that they weren't sure if they would hire anyone or called me back in Feb.-Mar. and asked if I was still interested in interviewing.

As a general timeline, first call back was in December and then first offer in January. Final offer came around the end of March. Most callbacks and decisions happened around Jan. through Mar.

On the other hand, I know people clerking in the south and the middle of the country who are still looking for jobs. So it seems somewhat variable by vault bracket/clerkship/region.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:12 am

First anon reply here. I guess it's worth mentioning that I was e-mailing primarily DC and CA firms to ask.

Although, I suppose it's just fine if you sent in everything in November as the above poster said, if the firms not hiring until Spring are just going to hang onto your application and call you back when they ARE making hiring decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm

OP here. Thanks to you both. It's much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm also a two-year clerk looking for a Fall 2013 job.

I contacted a few firms this summer, and some said to apply at the start of January, others said late spring/early summer.

I've applied to a few places already and got rejected at one place and am waiting on the others. It was probably a dumb idea to apply now, since I'm guessing that firms aren't interested in looking at stuff this far in advance, but oh well.

My sense is that January is the time to apply - it's probably when a lot of lateral applications are sent, post-bonus, and while clerks aren't really competing with laterals, the hiring process kicks into gear.

Return to “Legal Employment”