Multiple Markets Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PlessFightsFire

Multiple Markets Question

Postby PlessFightsFire » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:42 pm

If I am targeting 2-3 markets what do I say when asked in a screener? Consensus appears to be I love your market and only want to be here...should I say this even if I have some bids and mass mails in secondary markets?

I just want a job, would be happy in any of the markets I'm looking at.

piccolittle

Re: Multiple Markets Question

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:If I am targeting 2-3 markets what do I say when asked in a screener? Consensus appears to be I love your market and only want to be here...should I say this even if I have some bids and mass mails in secondary markets?

I don't know what anyone else will say, but I have generally been targeting each firm in only one market. Even though I've been mass mailing different markets and am bidding on another, I tell the firm my first choice is the market they are in. Why do you need to tell them you've been mass mailing any other firm, much less firms in a different market? JMO.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:56 pm

PlessFightsFire wrote:If I am targeting 2-3 markets what do I say when asked in a screener? Consensus appears to be I love your market and only want to be here...should I say this even if I have some bids and mass mails in secondary markets?

Just be coy about it. "Well, I really want DC for X and Y reason, but I'm bidding a few New York firms because Career Services said it was a bad idea to bid only one market." "Well, I really want to New York for A and B reason, but I'm also bidding on a few Philly firms since I grew up there and CSO said it was a good idea to bid our home market."

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Pretty sure saying that you are just blindly following CSO's orders is not going to make a good impression.

PlessFightsFire

Postby PlessFightsFire » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 pm

piccolittle wrote:

I don't know what anyone else will say, but I have generally been targeting each firm in only one market. Even though I've been mass mailing different markets and am bidding on another, I tell the firm my first choice is the market they are in. Why do you need to tell them you've been mass mailing any other firm, much less firms in a different market? JMO.

I'm not saying I can't get away with lying its more about if they ask me what other markets are you looking at I would prefer not to lie. I guess the be coy advice and say something along the lines of I'm focused on this market for x and y reasons but have been advised not to limit my search by OCS.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Don't say anything that could possibly convey the the "I just want a job sentiment."

Say you are from market X. I wouldn't lie and say "only market X." Say something along the lines of "I'm looking at X, Y, Z. I went to college in Y and I got to school in Z, but I'm excited about market X because blah blah blah. It has blah blah blah that Y and Z don't have." Modify that response as needed for each other market.

No need to say that crap about career services.

Return to “Legal Employment”