Help

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:34 pm

I am a SA at a small-medium size firm. Today I rather suddenly found out that my grandmother has terminal cancer and will be taken back to my home town, which is approximately a 4 hour drive from where I live and work. Her prognosis is about 2 weeks but it may not even be that long for several reasons which id rather not list. I would like to go see her and be with my family ASAP. I would like to leave on Thursday. If it appears that she is going to pass sometime early next week, I would like to be there for her. What is the most professional and appropriate way to handle this situation with my firm? Am I expected to work as much as possible (i.e. going back to work on Monday) even under these circumstances? Should I just sit down with my mentor and discuss the situation? All serious responses are very much appreciated. Thank you.

breadbucket

Re: Help

Postby breadbucket » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:42 pm

There is more than one firm. You have only one family.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a SA at a small-medium size firm. Today I rather suddenly found out that my grandmother has terminal cancer and will be taken back to my home town, which is approximately a 4 hour drive from where I live and work. Her prognosis is about 2 weeks but it may not even be that long for several reasons which id rather not list. I would like to go see her and be with my family ASAP. I would like to leave on Thursday. If it appears that she is going to pass sometime early next week, I would like to be there for her. What is the most professional and appropriate way to handle this situation with my firm? Am I expected to work as much as possible (i.e. going back to work on Monday) even under these circumstances? Should I just sit down with my mentor and discuss the situation? All serious responses are very much appreciated. Thank you.

This. Or, even better, reach out to legal personnel or whomever handles HR issues at your firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Thank you. I will have a frank discussion with my mentor.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 pm

It's the end of your SA or soon enough anyway. Any firm that wouldn't let you go, you wouldn't want to work at.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a SA at a small-medium size firm. Today I rather suddenly found out that my grandmother has terminal cancer and will be taken back to my home town, which is approximately a 4 hour drive from where I live and work. Her prognosis is about 2 weeks but it may not even be that long for several reasons which id rather not list. I would like to go see her and be with my family ASAP. I would like to leave on Thursday. If it appears that she is going to pass sometime early next week, I would like to be there for her. What is the most professional and appropriate way to handle this situation with my firm? Am I expected to work as much as possible (i.e. going back to work on Monday) even under these circumstances? Should I just sit down with my mentor and discuss the situation? All serious responses are very much appreciated. Thank you.

You need to talk to your mentor, but go in with a concrete plan that you would propose for them. Maybe just go Thursday and then come back Tuesday? Then would you go back for the funeral? How much time would that take?
Or do you just want to finish your summer early? Figure out what your plan is and propose it to them. Then you can negotiate from there if you need to.

You need to make sure your work is covered. Go in with a list of projects you are working on and what needs to be done to complete them. If you need to meet with them before you get that list together, tell them that you will have it together ASAP. This way they can make sure someone else can step in for you if need be.

Obviously the firm is going to want you to be with your family. Just go into the meeting prepared, even though you are very upset. Be professional and be organized. You will be able to work this out with them. It might be easier to just end your summer early, but that might mean you are rushed on your way out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:16 am

sunynp wrote: It might be easier to just end your summer early

I've considered this as well. Of course, realistically, this might weigh against me in their decision of whether or not to extend an offer. That being said, I am confident in my work and am well liked around the office.

I imagine the funeral would probably be over a weekend, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I think that the Friday/Monday plan is a solid and reasonable idea, and I will probably stick with that.

I think I will also mention the possibility that, should she live through the weekend/Monday, I may have to rush to my hometown on some unknown date when the inevitable occurs.

Thank you for offering your opinion.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:46 am

Odds are they have probably already formed an opinion of whether or not to hire you, if you've been there all summer. If you've done solid work and they like you, a genuine family emergency shouldn't weigh too heavily into the decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:58 am

Just tell them the truth and do what you have to do. Don't have any regrets. They know who you are and have likely made their decisions. Good luck.

chitown2626

Postby chitown2626 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:08 am

kalvano wrote: Any firm that wouldn't let you go, you wouldn't want to work at.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:25 am

chitown2626 wrote:

This. Go to a supervisor/recruiting and explain the situation, finish up the assignments you have as soon as possible, and don't take on any new work. Then you can leave early and focus on this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:55 am

Having been through something like this recently, I just want to confirm the advice to try and wrap up early (if we are talking a week or so). Quite aside from the importance of being with your family now, it's better to make a clean break and do good work than set yourself up to be distracted/do sloppy work because your mind is elsewhere. Even if you think you work well during times of upheaval, you inevitably won't be doing your best work. And it's not very helpful to the firm to take on projects when your availability is uncertain. Best of luck with everything.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sunynp wrote: It might be easier to just end your summer early

I've considered this as well. Of course, realistically, this might weigh against me in their decision of whether or not to extend an offer. That being said, I am confident in my work and am well liked around the office.

I imagine the funeral would probably be over a weekend, so hopefully that won't be an issue. I think that the Friday/Monday plan is a solid and reasonable idea, and I will probably stick with that.

I think I will also mention the possibility that, should she live through the weekend/Monday, I may have to rush to my hometown on some unknown date when the inevitable occurs.

Thank you for offering your opinion.

You're welcome. I'm sure the firm won't judge you for going home in this emergency. Everyone has had emergencies happen in their life. Just handle it professionally and you will be fine.

I'm very sorry about your grandmother too. It is great you can get back home to be with your family in this difficult circumstance.

Loose Seal

Postby Loose Seal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 pm

chitown2626 wrote:

Do you need another person to tell you this?

Return to “Legal Employment”